Would like to see some non-bearded pictures, please

Galien, MI

I'm in flower withdrawl, and looking at the Japanese Iris/pseudata catalogs is just too dangerous right now. Anyone want to share a few? I'm very curious about the ones that are hybrids of two different types, like the pseudatas. Are there other types in the non-bearded family?
Thanks! :-)
LJ

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

If you look back on some old threads for Boojums pictures, you will find some amazing pics. She did a yearly thread on her beardless. This year she did it for us on Cubits Irises, not here. But the old threads are nice. I think they usually started in late April each year.

Oh, there are lots of types in the beardless categories.

Here's one of my new favorite: Japanese Belgium Warrior.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Contraband Girl is a lovely beardless. She's 6' tall. Uh huh! She's a virginica.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

China Spring is a cross between I. typhifolia and siberian iris Springs Brook. Very early bloomer.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

How about a species Japanese. Altay from Russia:

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

A new JI, Victorian Trim.

OK, I'll let someone else post.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Polly that 1st. and last one are stunning. I would bet they have a majestic presence in the beds.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Steph. I hope yours live and bloom for you.

They are stunning in the border, and surprisingly easy to grow. So many people think they are hard to grow, but for most people it's like any perennial.

Lebanon, OR

Japanese iris are not the exotic babied plant so many people thing they are, as mine are grown between the Siberians and Spuria and do very well. I do fertilize them more with mirclegro like Polly but otherwise they get the same amount of water as the rest of the field and same amount of care.

Try them you will love them.

D

Also Spuria are a great beardless iris that requires little care and rewards you with blooms after the TB bloom

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I know they have some really nice spuria. I didn't know they were hardy here until Dee told me, and now I have 4 or 5 growing here. Dee carries quite a selection. They make a beautiful cut flower, lasting a long time in the vase.

How about some pics, Dee?

Lebanon, OR

This is Adriatic Blue a newer one that has the fuller petels

The great thing with them is once they get established they can stay for several years without thinning them at all

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

That is truly Stunning De. Love the wider petal also as more to see in a clump.

Polly my JI and Sib I am sure will bloom this year. They put on good growth last summer and I fed and mulched and watered well. They looked better than some of the TB. Almost too cool for them last summer. The ones I am testing for De should be fine also as they put their roots in well before a heavy freeze and has some more green growth. Will find out in a cple. months.

I really like that Adriatic Blue. Hope you sell tons of it.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

These were lovely last year out by the pond. Not sure of the name.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

My walking iris were blooming right up until we got the freeze. Pretty little yellow blooms, sorry i don't have a picture of them but here's a picture of a southern Blue Flag that I purchased in TN last spring. I'm trying more varieties to see which ones do well in different locations. The LA's were a failure bloomed beautifully the first year then went into decline and weren't worth the space they took up. Hope the Blue Flag do better.

Thumbnail by mittsy
Lebanon, OR

my walking iris is in a big 12" hanging pot and in 3 years has never bloomed just keeps making babies. One day it might bloom! LOL

D

Galien, MI

Big Sigh. Ok, feeling a bit refreshed by those. Victorian trim had me seriously coveting it, but I remember how the clumps of the simpler blues flutter so nicely in a slight breeze.

Meanwhile, it's still snowing!

whine - is it April yet?

Louisville, KY

My favorite Kimono Silk. I have had JIs for only 5 years....so far they grow as good as Tall Beardeds. I love them

Thumbnail by timeinabottle
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Isn't Kimono SilK gorgeous! I have that one too, just love it! Nice pic!

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Kimono Silk is Stunning,. You don't see too many with that coloring and I love it.

Beehive the clump by the pond is beautiful also. So nice when you finally get a clump going and get the most impact of the beauty of it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.