clems under black walnut?

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

Has anyone been able to grow clematis under black walnut trees? I'm getting conflicting answers to this question from Master Gardeners. Any advice?

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

I understand that the silver lace vine will grow under the walnut tree! It would probably grow anywhere.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I planted Betty Corning, Ragoochi and Princess Diana last spring about 20 to 25 feet away from the trunk of my neighbor’s black walnut tree. Its canopy does not fall over them on my side only because it was cut back severely a couple years ago. It is a big, beautiful 60 to 80 year old tee. My clematis are in a one foot high raised bed. I have had so may friends tell me the clematis won't make it. But I am banking on the fact that they are in a raised bed and this tree is very old and not growing as aggressively as a young tree would be.

Thumbnail by mstish
(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I have a Jackmani Clematis that is only 15 feet from a black walnut it too is in a raised bed but only about 6 inches and no barrier between it and the regular ground. Mine has been growing for years and is beautiful every spring. I've never grown any other kind under a bw but this one for sure will grow.

Here's a picture of it growing and blooming - you can see the leaves of the bw in the upper right hand corner.

Thumbnail by kjuddy
Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

Thanks for your reply. Looks like no problem there. Guess I'll give it a shot!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.