Growing mesembs indoors year round

Arlington, TX

Does anyone grow lithops or conos indoors year round? I am interested in both groups and wonder if they might be easier to cultivate this way. I do realize that being indoors in an air conditioned house in the summer might be problematic but can it be done? I worry about putting out small potted plants in 100 + temps in summer.
C

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

If you have the space and spare change you could invest in a halide or new CFL set up that would give them what they need but down in Texas, I think you already have what they need if you keep them in part shade during the summer.

Arlington, TX

I have tried them outside in summer and they died. Even in part shade those tiny pots can get pretty hot. But I guess I will be brave and place them in some shade in the spring. Conophytum are dormant in summer and Would the storms here be too much water for them? So many questions about such little plants.
C

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

Ah, now we are talking. I would build a shade house or even keep them on a porch so that the storms do not get them. They would get sheltered from the sun, I would expect. As to the little pot question, you could put the pots in a tray of soil which would moderate temperatures and probably evaporation of water from the pot. And it also seems that sever of the SoCal gang has planted them out in the garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.