Restoration project

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I live in the Pacific NW (Washington). We have a small salmon-spawning creek which feeds into a farm pond in a lowland area - open field on one side and woodlot on the other. Beavers have dammed the creek further downstream from us, which is creating a lot of wetlands. I'm not too keen on the beavers but we've run them off more than once and new ones just come back. We no longer have any type of livestock and over the past couple years I have been 'cultivating' what natives I am able to identify and snipping out the dang blackberries and thistles. Introducing native or near-natives (sometimes I can't find the true native cultivar and settle for something close). I find native nurseries to be rather expensive and would be interested in trading natives with anyone who might be in my area. The area I am dealing with is quite large and this is a very slow project. Fortunately, I am discovering new volunteers all the time. Any thoughts or suggestions? Here's a fall photo of the pond area. The white trees in the background are alders killed by the beaver flooding - most but not all have since been taken down or blown down. I call that particular area the 'dead zone.'

Thumbnail by bonehead

just wanted to say the area is lovely and i wish i had something like near me !!! sorry but i am no help for anything else you posted.

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi, Bonehead. Have you checked out your local native plant society? At the one here in MD, members bring wild collected seeds and plants they have "rescued" or grown to the meetings to give away. At least you can get information on what species to plant in your area and how to collect seeds and grow them. You don't have to join to get info. "Plant nerds" are usually happy to help those who show interest.

Here's a link to Washington Native Plant Society-
http://www.wnps.org/

P.S. A true native won't be a "cultivar" because that's short for CULTIvated VARiety.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I did just go to a regional native plant sale, and picked up some seedlings at a very reasonable price (mock orange, crabapple, paper birch). I will see how our beaver battle goes and if we are successful I plan to plant a bunch more in the fall (the native folk have a bigger sale then). Everything I planted yesterday was in soggy soil, hoping it will dry out a bit when the water table drops.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.