Help on Plaster of Paris Girl Planter

Thousand Oaks, CA(Zone 10a)

Well, I got myself in a pickle and m hoping you all can assist. I got so excited at the price of this piece, I didn't think ahead as to how I could 'fix' it. It is Plaster of Paris and it looks as though someone has already tried to fix it, with what, I am not sure. There are large areas of something applied over some damaged areas. I did purchase a box of Plaster of Paris and my thought was to go over the whole statue filling in cracks and attempting to form the pieces that are missing in it (there is a piece of a scarf broken off at the bottom, that I think I can reform and attach. My original thought was doing it verdigris, but then my house is green and I think it needs to be protected somewhat, so it will need to be on my porch or in the patio room. So I then thought of all bronze, then all white. I really am not to fond of the original paint job of the flowers at her feet and waist. I thought if my mom when I saw her, chubby, with red hair, and green eyes. Although my mom looked more like Angela Landsbury than this statue.
So,
1. Do I need to apply the PoP all over, sand it down and seal her with some sort of sealer before painting?
2. Can I use craft acrylic paint or house paint, or?
3. Do I seal her again after painting.
Any and all ideas, suggestions, ways to do this is appreciated. She is about 3 1/2 ft tall.
Thanks,
Sue

This message was edited Jan 4, 2011 10:59 PM

Thumbnail by keepingactive
This thread has 19 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!