Wanted: I. verticillata (winterberry)

Valley Head, WV(Zone 5a)

Would anyone have some cuttings from their winterberry shrub that they could share this spring? I have perennials, daylilies, iris, red twig dog wood, and more that I could trade.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I have these shrubs -not sure if its winterberry or not/ they have pinkish white flowers in the summer and white berries towards the fall. cardinals luv the berries! -if this is what you want let me know.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

I just purchased a winterberry. Would like to know to what
size I can expect it to grow, want more but do not know what to expect. Any info appreciated.
thanks,
john

Valley Head, WV(Zone 5a)

I haven't grown any yet, but want some for the front of the house, where it is always wet. Here's whay I have on them.

I. verticillata (winterberry)
Unlike most other members of the holly family, winterberry grows in wet, swampy areas as well as under average garden conditions. In dry soils it is not likely to reach its potential height of 9 or 10 feet. Hardy in Zones 3-8, it thrives in acid soils of average fertility.
Winterberry's 1/4-inch red fruits are produced abundantly along the branches. Appearing among the dark green 2-inch leaves before they yellow and drop in the fall, these berries remain on the shrub until Christmas or later. Male and female plants should be located near each other to ensure fruiting. 'Winter Red', 'Sunset', and many other new cultivars bear especially heavy crops of berries.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

The tag on my winterberry explains it as a ground cover.
By the looks of it it will not get over 6" in height.
When the leaves are crushed they smell like wintergreen. Does anyone have winterberry ground cover? Was looking to
find out how far it spreads.
Thanks
john

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.