R Dawns

Jupiter, FL

Hi everyone ! I just placed my order for Rosy Dawns.... so many of the plants that I had on my wish list was not available. I am still happy with what I ordered tho. Now I am off to gebharts LOL ! I have never ordered from them , but you all have said nothing but nice things about them. I sure hope I can get everything that I wanted this year. Can't wait till March !

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Good luck. We all do love our coleuses.

Mount Laurel, NJ

What were you looking for that RD didn't have?

Danville, IN

Both RD and Gebhart's are great businesses. You're going to love what you get!

Jupiter, FL

Pink pomegranate, Butter cutter , Green earrings , and a few others..... I am trying to buy something diferant than the pinks and purples I always get. I have 42 cuttings that I started in October. But I want more lol !

Mount Laurel, NJ

I got 'butter cutter' ( from them I think, no maybe from G) last fall. It's pretty and I like it, but so far it tends to be leggy even though I keep pinching it back. It probably is not getting enough light, or maybe is too crowded. Hopefully it will bush out when it gets outside. My coleus are really taking over my basement. I hope my electrical supply can handle a couple more lights, as they are getting big and too crowded. I'm off to the store today to purchase lights number 23 and 24 !

Mount Laurel, NJ

This is a pic of my leggy 'butter cutter' I was referring to in previous message.

Thumbnail by coleuslover123
Jupiter, FL

Love it !
One good thing is if you can't get your first choice you can find something that looks like it! I am very happy with the plants I ordered. I just did a little freaking out when I was going down my list and they didn't have the plants. And Gebhart isn't opend till Feb 1 st thanks for the pic of butter cutter :)

Mount Laurel, NJ

I've been real pleased with my orders from Color Farm too.

Danville, IN

coleuslover: You should train your 'Butter Cutter' as a standard. In fact, it's already a small one anyway! Just pinch out the side shoots to keep a central stem (trunk), and when it gets as tall as you like, begin pinching to maintain a ball-shaped top. Keep the plant staked to keep the top from breaking off. Standards can be very effective in planter arrangements or by themselves in a nice pot. Root the pinchings and you will have more plants for bedding.
The photo of are a couple of my favorites, which were new plants from Rosy Dawn last May.

Thumbnail by HoosierGreen
Jupiter, FL

cool , I am going to try it.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Is there any news from RD about a co-op?
I have the feeling it wont happen this year. They would have already posted news.

I'll write to them and let you know what they say. Have you checked Classified Ads?

No Classified Ad!

Mount Laurel, NJ

Well I just broke down and placed an order to RD for 6 more varieties. I only have a little over 30, so what the heck. Now I'll have to go buy some more lights, and maybe another set of shelves. Hmm, sure is amazing what we do for these little beauties! I got mostly redish ones. I'm looking for a real true bright red, but I"ve yet to find one that is that way in more than just pictures. I ordered 'autumn', 'stella red', 'burning bush', 'big red judy, 'blushing zebra', and 'mariposa'. I know 'mariposa' isn't red, but it looked so beautiful. I stated April for shipment, as I was afraid it would be too cold here for them to be transported, but I can't wait to get them!

See if they have 'Cardinal' and check out 'Beckwith's Gem' for a red.

Springdale, UT

Crimson Velvet is one of the most beautiful reds I've ever seen , just amazing. Defiance is also an incredible red.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I like Elfers in full sun or mostly sunnny.
Here it is with Caladium Florida White queen

Thumbnail by ge1836
Springdale, UT

Elfers, Indian Summer and Roaring Fire are all so similar yet just different enough to want them all. My favorite for unusual color and surprises is Florida Sun Rose , every set of leaves is completely different from the previous set in texture , shape and colour absolutely gorgeous

Danville, IN

ge1836: Florida White Queen isn't listed as available on the Caladiums 4 Less website. It's gorgeous! Where'd you find it?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm a geezer
Its White Queen

Thumbnail by ge1836
Danville, IN

Oh-h-h! Thanks. I think it's a lovely arrangement, and have Florida Sun Rose overwintering in my sunroom. Great coleus! Great caladium!

Yours looks even better than the photo from the website. I have to add it to my order. Glad you posted!

This message was edited Jan 13, 2011 11:21 AM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The picture I posted was from Caladiums 4 less. My pic is White Queen with Elfers.
Here is White Queen again in a shadier spot with white impatiens and coleus Trailing Queen.
I think the rose vains get redder when the caladium is in more sun.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Danville, IN

Yes. I wouldn't have even ordered it from the photo on the website, but your photos show the potential in more sun, which is what I plan. I added it to my order this morning! Thanks.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

You wont be sorry.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.