CLOSED: Wanted: Ditch lilies

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi everyone. I have recently been inspired by a fellow DGr. My new years resolution this year is a direct result of her inspiration :) This year I resolve to not only work on beautifying my own small garden world but to expand that world to my community. For one particular project I would love to use Ditch lilies. Right now I don't have much in the way of trades available so I would like to get some for postage if possible. If a trade is a must then know that I will be starting lots of seeds in my greenhouse in the coming month or so. Please feel free to dmail me. Thank you all and Happy New Year. May it be wondrous!!!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

What exactly are ditch lilies? I have bulbs from blood lilies and lots of plants of what I was told are walking irises. However they have small white flowers on them and do not match any of the walking irises in the plant files. They spread like crazy though. I would be willing to share some of either of these.

Bonnie

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here's their page from plant files.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/201/

Around here they grow everywhere a piece of the root gets tossed. We have them on the north side of the house. (They are wonderful there.) In the ditch by the driveway & last summer some are started farther down the road. Also a clump has started on the edge of our grove.
If you can't find any close by, I will send you a box of roots in the spring.
D-mail your address.
Bernie

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I too can send a box in the spring, if you still need them by then - they come up April or so here.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Catz that's a wonderful idea about beautifying your community, but have you read the negatives about ditch lilies? It appears they can be invasive and can get of of hand fairly quickly.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

they do multiply like rabbits... but i guess if you have a large area to 'beautify' -- they do look pretty in masses when in bloom.

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you X. I have read/heard that. Do you know if that's only by tubers or is that by seed as well. The location I will be planting them is a large area bordered on all sides by cement, so if it's just by tubers then I shouldn't have a problem.

This message was edited Jan 2, 2011 4:52 PM

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Catz.. i cant recall ever seeing seed pods on these... and i've probably had them 25 yrs.

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

Perfect! Than they will work perfectly for their chosen location :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.