Winter Interest

New Boston, NH

Never could identify with people talking of winter interest.The past couple of years on nice days like today I take great pleasure roaming the garden .Much to see ,the birds are feeding on my dormant plants with seed.Also get a perspective of places I can plant.Have Winter Wrens this year never noticed them before.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Leaving perennials with seeds uncut is exactly an example of winter interest! So are plants with interesting bark, shapes and berries. Also, plants with different color stems. Of course, evergreens too. I filled my garden with all these. Then, even when I cannot walk around, I can enjoy from my window.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I like the remaining medlars hanging like ornaments from the tree.

Thomaston, CT

I'm definitely planting winterberry this spring. I also have heather/heath that is blooming under the snow.....very welcome when the snow melts off the garden.....

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Two of my flower gardens get zero fall clean up. They provide bird food and winter interest/color. Old Marigolds and Agastache have lots of seed for the birds. Sedum flower heads get pretty snow caps, rose hips too.
Andy P

Thomaston, CT

I always leave the rose hips.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i now cut down all the flower stocks - left them up one winter and had echi's and bes coming up everywhere - i keep the bird feeders filled instead.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I want to get red twig dogwood for some winter interest, I do leave lots of seed heads and I have a lot of evergreen(holly, rhody, spruce, pine)

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

The reds look great in snow.

Thomaston, CT

They do....an Audubon property just up the road apiece has some at the entrance.....lovely contrast with the snow....

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

they do look nice in the snow!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.