(David_Paul) David Burghardt

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

David Burghardt, known here as David_Paul passed away on November 30, 2010. David contributed to PlantFiles, Go Gardening, The Garden Watchdog, and The Garden Bookworm. He also participated in the photography and vegetable forums here on Dave's Garden.

Below is an excerpt of what was published in the newspaper he co-founded, published here: http://kelseytown.com/Home_Page.php

David Burghardt, co-founder and webmaster of the Kelseytown Gazette, died at age 58 years at his home in Clinton on November 30, 2010 after a short illness.

He was born and raised in Madison, and as a summer high school exchange student to Peru and Chile developed a lifelong interest in international travel and learning. He was a theology major in college and later pursued a career as a jewelry and artifact importer, living in the southwest, overseas and Florida.

Upon his mother's illness, he moved to Clinton in 2006 where he continued his international traveling and contacts via the internet.

He had an encyclopedic mind. He had a passion for photography, history, politics, classical literature, books, flower and vegetable gardening, and the gingko tree.

He was an innovator. He taught himself to become a designer and webmaster for the creation of the Kelseytown Gazette.

He incorporated the Zenfolio program for slide show presentations and photographed the gravestones in the Indian River Cemetery, which receives hits from genealogists worldwide.

When David was diagnosed with terminal cancer, he viewed his illness as a learning opportunity for the student doctors at Yale; also, a time to convey the knowledge that would be needed to continue the Kelseytown Gazette without him.

Quietly, without fanfare, he performed his webmaster magic behind the scenes with few aware of the essential part he played in the Kelseytown Gazette's existence.

His presence in Clinton was like his beloved gingko tree behind the town hall, bursting in full leaf autumn brilliance, then gone.

A Mass of Christian Burial wasl be held Monday, December 6, 2010 at 10 a.m. at St. Margaret's Catholic Church in Madison.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

David and I corresponded for a long time and I loved his tales of travel, his education abroad, his family and his beloved Clinton.

He was always a gentleman, always helpful with my questions about photography and very politically savvy.

I will always miss him.

Arlene (pirl)

Thumbnail by pirl
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

My condolences to his family and friends. I feel so sad that I never got to "meet" him except online here at DG. It saddens me to loose such a knowledgeable and talented member of the DG family.
May his memory always be cherished by his family and friends, and his contributions to DG continue to help and inspire others.
Good Journey David_Paul, may the Great Mystery be everything you had hoped for!
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

My thoughts are with the family and their loss, even though I didn't know David. I clicked on the link that was included and enjoyed a little glimpse into what he helped to create, it was delightful.

So was he, Sheila. We corresponded for years and either he brought me insight or laughter or news about cameras.

One funny story was when he grew the world's hottest pepper, Bhut Jolika. He sent me some and put many in a bowl on the dining room table. As his 92 year old mother was passing the table she grabbed one and took a bite. She casually said to him that he'd better be careful because they were hot. What an understatement!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Sounds like he was a nice friend to laugh with Pirl.

He was always a gentleman, which says a lot, and very intelligent. He was always happy to share camera news with me.

When he investigated a local cemetery he sent me a photo of the tombstone of a Captain L'Hommedieu who had lived in "Southold, Long Island", per the engraving. In turn I sent him a photo of the plaque on the house where we go every January 1st for the Open House Party on our little peninsula - same person!

Thumbnail by pirl

Here is the photo of the tombstone that David sent me:

Thumbnail by pirl
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Pirl, I am sending you a link dmail.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.