Transplant

Dayton, OH

I bought some Peonies late in the Fall, and I planted them in a place that I really didn't want to put them. What I'd like to know is can I transplant them this spring, and if so how warm does it have to be?

Thanks

Thumbnail by roseycats
Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

The conventional wisdom in the peony world is peonies should be dug in the fall after they go dormant with dead foliage. They can be moved in the spring but it would probably delay them an extra year in their blooming. Unless it is really necessary, it is best to wait until about the middle of September or early October.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

OG is right about fall being the preferred time to dig peony, however, since they were just put in last fall and most likely haven't established themselves much you can probably get away with moving them this spring without setting them back to much. Make sure you dig a big enough hole around the peony and keep as much dirt around the root as possible it will make transplanting a lot easier on the plant.

Dayton, OH

Thanks guy's I'm not sure which way I'll go yet, but I have about 3 months to make up my mind.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

My goodness, who is that lovely lady in the pic? Beautiful.

Dayton, OH

Thanks sunshine, the only name I know is Peony Sorbet

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

rosey,
I planted my fist peonies late this summer...if they do well I might just have to add some Sorbet!

Dayton, OH

Hey Sunshine, I hope you do plant some Sorbet, they are very beautiful, by the way I received a catalogue from Klehm's Song Sparrow yesterday. They have a lot of beautiful peony's to choose from, I need a bigger yard.

I'm going to scan some picture's of peony's in my computer. Will have some pictures soon.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2011 2:49 PM

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

I like those too, especially the gold/yellow

I planted Many Happy Returns and Lorelie(really excited about this one).

Dayton, OH

Here's a peony I saw in the book, I might get this one.

Thumbnail by roseycats
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

that is an interesting picture. I have Red Charm and it has bloomed for three years. It is more a bomb type rather than your picture which looks like a Japanese type. At least my understanding of a Japanese type. I would like mine to look like your picture to be truthful. The stems on mine are very strong so they don't fall over even in rain, though I do have umbrellas I purchased from Crickett Hills to protect them from sun and rain sometimes.

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

Nice pic's

Actually I looked at my pic again and it does look like yours. Shoot. Been so long since I saw a flower or even a green plant I am forgetting what they look like. lol

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I bought some peony's in a bag. Can I plant them now or should i wait till April?

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

is the ground frozen?

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

no, it is not frozen and after I posted this I decided to get all that I bought in the ground. So far there are no freezing temps in the future . I think they will be ok, they were putting out growth in the bags, so in the ground they went.

Once in the ground, assuming correct planting, they should be okay I would think.

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

mulch well, water and pray for spring!

Amen! (no pun intended) :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.