Just finished juicing my citrus

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

That real cold night we had a few nights ago did a job on my fruit. I picked a bunch before Christmas for presents and put some in away for myself but what was left on the trees got to cold. My Sanbokans are very sweet this year so I decided to make "Corey's hard lemonade" out of them. LOL. A gallon of juice takes many fruits BTW.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

glad you got them in before the freeze. I'm really going to try and get some of my citrus trees on the ground this spring. They'll do better and and keep the sunroom from being so crowded in Winter.,
Enjoy your hard lemonade!
Barb

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

The grandkids picked ours yesterday and there did not seem to be any freeze damage. We only had 2 fruits on the Ponkan, my favorite tangelo, but there were many, many on the Sambokans and the Orlando tangelo.

A tall uncle comes in handy to get the fruit on the top of the tree. They completely stripped the trees then we made ambrosia and juice. I still have several buckets of fruit to give to the neighbors.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

It seems the magic number is around 24 degrees for a few hours. Last year was cold and it never got cold enough to damage the fruit but that one night we had was just enough. Doesn't matter I wasn't sure what to do with all the fruit any ways. My mandarin and tangerine trees had 10-12 dozen fruit on both of them, naval and sanbokans had about 3 dozen a piece on them. Looks like I'm going to have to figure out how to juice them quicker. Still figuring everything out as far as when to pick them etc. Should have pomegranates next year to add to the fall mix. I'm still thinking a blood orange would be a good idea since they need cold to get their color and they ripen up in the spring so I may get my hands on one of those. I would like to end up with fruit every other month year or something like that. Spring fruit is trouble and my plums aren't ripe till the end of June. Need to figure out something that fruits in about March which I think is about the correct time for blood oranges. Don't know they seem to be tricky to get to fruit and I'm not exactly sure if this is the right climate for them.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I have a pomegranate 'Compactum' that bears fruit every year. Thing is, juicing it is a real pain. Since there are so many seeds and hardly and fruit, they have to be juiced by hand.
I've thought about a blood orange, but don't want to get too many before I get what I have settled where I want it.
Barb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.