Horseradish - Herb of the Year 2011

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

The International Herb Association has named Horseradish the Herb of the Year for 2011. I have never grown it myself - my grandmother did when I was a kid in Wyoming.

Thought I might give it a shot - any advice?

Entlie

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

You might have better luck than I did. It needs a colder Winter than we have here.
Barb

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Yes, it looks like it's marginal, although one place on the internet said zone 9.
Entlie

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

True. And I only tried it the once. Maybe I should try it again..... hhmmm....

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

We raised them in Europe, it is eazy to grow in cold climat, but it is hard to grate. I know, they made me do it, it is good for your sinuses.

Johns Island, SC

I grew it once, with marginal success. It came up strong the first year, so I dug up one of the roots to play with. The original root had gotten bigger, but there was no sign of smaller side roots forming. Second year growth was about 1/2 the size of the 1st years growth. Dug one up---same story as the 1st year. Single root, no sign of shoots. Only one plant emerged the 3rd yr, and it was an unhappy puppy. Never got more than 6" tall. I think the soil stays too warm here in the winter. Never tried again, but I'm getting the urge to...

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Maybe we could grow it in pots? That way the soil would get colder in the winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.