Herbal seed catalogues or websites?

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Vegetables are necessary for sustaining us but herbs are my passion.

I am looking for favorite herb seed/plant company suggestions. Either
online sites or seed catalogues. I have found a few with some selection.

Any favorites? Please share your preferences.

Fort Wayne, IN

I've ordered from Jung Seeds & Plants a few times and have always been pleased. www.jungseed.com or 1800-247-5864 They have alot of herb plant and seeds.

Thanks... I hadn't gotten one of their catalogues in a while. I will check out their site ~ thanks much for the link.
I did see a good selection of herbs listed in the Johnny's catalogue too.

My downfall is herbs. Where are you ordering the Bay from?

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I like Jung too. Baker Creek is good too.
Vickie

Hi Vickie! I hadn't seen you around lately. Hope all is well on your mountaintop.
Baker Creek is one I need to check out. Thanks.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Still hanging around up here. Can't wait for spring. You'll love BK,s
print catalog. It is already out. Have also had good luck with their orders.
Vickie

Great ~ it is good to know their products and service are good too.

Have I told you I am envious of your mountaintop! Wishing for my own some day.
It would seem I become more antisocial with age and suspect working with the public does that. LOL

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

LOL, I'm getting just the opposite. Town seems farther away everyday. Don't know what i'd do witout DG to socialize.

Hmmm... it would seem we are never happy. I would gladly be a hermit and stay out of town but once a month when needed.

Fort Wayne, IN

I'm starting to get my seed catologs daily, but I think I'm going to order my Bay Laurel from Jungs. The starts they have sent me in the past have been good. Actually they are the most reasonable priced ones that I see. Do you know of a good place to order them so I can check?
Grace

I got mine a few years back from Logees. It probably was not a bargain but was a nice size and healthy tree.

It looks like what they are offering now is a bit smaller in a 2.5" pot.

http://www.logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H8054-2

I want to know what they are using for groundcover in this pot. Very pretty!

This message was edited Dec 31, 2010 7:24 PM

Fort Wayne, IN

Oh .. to have a bay plant look like that. I think the ground cover is some kind of tyme, I think tyme is small leaves. "?"

I agree ~ the bay is beautiful. You are probably right on the thyme which I've never been able to grow successfully ~ dangnabit!

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

podster - I've tried growing thyme in my herb bed without success. However, I have some that I stuck in the clay/mud just outside my back door that thrives despite it being walked on by the dogs and hardly getting any sunshine! I believe this must be one plant that truly thrives on neglect because it's never watered (other than rain) or fertilized.

My thyme also grows very well in a terrible clay soil. I have not tried to grow from seed, but will next spring. i just bought one 3 in. pot last year and it spread like crazy.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I have some Greek oregano that is on a mission to cover the earth, too!

I just posted on another thread that I have had good luck purchasing herbs from W-mart. I'll only buy them if they have been delivered within the past day or so because the staff doesn't seem to take good care of them.

Hmmm... there must be a lesson in there on the clay soil and neglect. LOL With that maintenance, I can't imagine it would do well as a green groundcover in a Bay pot.

I tried two thymes last spring in our crumby clay sandy soil. They didn't survive it but we saw far more 100° plus days than it probably needed as well as being in a severe extended drought. Try, try again...

Berne, IN

Have you checked out this http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/ProductCart/pc/Potted-Herb-Plants-for-Sale-Over-40-Varieties-c65.htm they have a large selection of potted herb plants.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Organic herbs for food and medicine:
http://www.horizonherbs.com/

Orgiva, Granada, Spain

This place is amazing, they won't post plants now, you have to order very early spring. They have all sorts of herbs ranging from ancient medicinal to kitchen herbs, i rate them very highly.

http://www.poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk/

Columbus, OH

This place is semi-local to me (It's an hour and a half away, but a pretty drive) and I visit once a year. www.companionplants.com. The owner is a really knowledgeable herb grower, and can help you if you have problems getting a plant to thrive, getting seeds to germinate, etc. The plants are all small, but that makes them cheap to ship and you can't beat the selection.

Y'all have come up with some really interesting sites. I am busy saving the links. The Poyntzfield Herbs site has some good lists of types of herbs for different growing conditions which are great for reference as well. I hope to spend some time snooping thru all these sites, thanks!

Greenacres, WA

Hello I am wondering what is the best soil for growing
herbs in the house, I have tried to grow them but it seems
that they do not do good in the house. I read that you should not use
Miracle Grow in pots that they do not do well.
Thanks

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I use sunshine mix i get from a local nursery. It has real well composted dirt. It's from Canada i think.
Vickie

Yes, I agree. I use a Sunshine Gro mix. It has a higher peat base and no added fertilizer.

I would suspect lighting is an indoors issue. What type of herbs are you trying indoors?

Greenacres, WA

Right now I am trying Rosemary I moved it to my west side window sill and it is doing better, however it is out growing the pot it came in. I need to put it in a larger pot I just want to use the right soil when I do. I also have Lavender and Basil in the window.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

All the potting soil Walmarts had was as much bark as dirt. Is there a local nursery near you? They would be more likely to have a better soil.
Good luck
Vickie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.