HELP! brand new country garden on Australian East Coast

Sydney NSW, Australia

Hello everyone
I hope that you all had a most enjoyable Christmas and wish you the best in health & happiness for the coming year 2011.

My sister-in-law et al, moved to Tuncurry, (near Forster), north coast of NSW. They built a sweet home, looks like an old-fashioned farmhouse, but has NO garden. Either side of house is a post and rail fence and she wishes to have an 'instant' hedge to maintain privacy from the road. The area is sandy, hot as can be, open...absolutely no respite from the sun. I have given her this site to join and told her that you are truly knowledgeable and will help her to plant it prior to sale, (yes, they don't like the country life and are heading back to Sydney's North Shore). I suggested some of the fast-growing trees and vines that I planted on our property in the Hunter Valley e.g. casurina, photenia, lilli pilli,(but do not know the variety that does not attract physilis..?spelling?),e.g. Oleander, clumping bamboo, bouganvillia, jasmine, passionfruit, etc. This lady finds gardening a chore. Can't help her with that but thought that with a bit of help you could help her present a reasonable effect to make the house a home asap Must say, some folk think that a hedge will grow overnight!.
Thanks everyone
Anna :-)

Sydney NSW, Australia

Hi again,
'tis only moi
Just looked at the time that this was posted in USA...It is actually, (in good ole Oz...Thursday 30th December...10.05a.m., hot & humid...unpleasant really), so we are off to the cinema...hope that everyone is coping with this extreme heat and those of you who live in Qld and Northern NSW are not affected by the floods.
cheers for now
Anna :-)

Clifton Springs, Australia

Callistemons....".Bottlebrushes", pink, red, mauve flowers...we are on the coast, sandy soil, blazing sun in summer.
Ours have grown to over 6ft x 4ft in 18months......trouble free and give protection while other things are growing.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Lavenders suit hot, dry, sandy soils and suit cottage gardens, smell beautiful and are low maintenance, and quickly grow to form a low hedge.
Photinia is a god suggestion also, but requires pruning to shape but I'm not sure about the growth rate.
Dianne suggestion of bottlebrush brings to mind a hedge growing near here, in a coastal village, that is doing well and looks great when in flower. The owners used to have it pruned/hedged, but have let it go over the last two years and it still looks good.
Sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.