Need help! Ideas for moving my strawberries into containers

Galesburg, MI(Zone 6a)

This is my 1st post in this forum! I have about 40-50 strawberry plants in a raised bed. They were planted in spring 2010 so they are fairly young but did very well throughout the year. My problem is that I want to use that bed for a different purpose and I don't have any other available garden space to transplant them. So I was thinking about some type of container that I can hang from the large expanses of privacy fence that surround my whole house. I had the idea to use a over the door shoe organizer and plant each one in a shoe space. But would that be enough root space? And would they still be OK overwinter? Any suggestions or other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I am bumping this up in hopes that someone will answer your question. You also might try posting this on the fruit and veg. forum.

Galesburg, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks Kay. I will also post in the forum you suggested.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

good luck

http://www.allaboutstuff.com/garden_tips/Space_Saving_and_Work_Saving_Ways_to_Grow_Strawberries.asp

Here's a site that might give you some help!

Galesburg, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the link Kay. I got some more ideas from a different forum and I think I might try some cinder blocks combined with a few hanging baskets.

Cool!

Carrollton, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a limited amount of space in my backyard so I try to grow vertically as much of my vegetables/berries as possible. A couple of years ago I found online a strawberry pot tower that can be stacked vertically. I ordered six units (the minimum order at the time). Each unit holds six plants which is a total of 36 plants, for those of us who are mathematically challenged. I’ve had real good success with the tower and just recently ordered six more units for a second tower. Today I am ordering another three units, the current minimum order. When I’m done I will have one tower that is six pots (units) high and a second tower that is nine units high. I also have a base for each tower that holds four to ten additional plants that you can see in the picture below.

The website where you can see the strawberry pots is: http://www.growpots.com/index.html

Thumbnail by hrp50
Galesburg, MI(Zone 6a)

That is really great set-up and has the wheels turning in my head now. I don't think it is in my budget right now to order them but I bet I can make something similar. Thanks for the awesome inspiration!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.