Something to smile about

Kansas City, MO

With all the members from the South complaining that they never get enough chill hours for their peonies I think with the current weather that will not be a problem for this year.

I would be interested to know if there is any effect on your peonies in the next three years. I would like those that keep records to mark in them when you were cold and then compare how your plants react in the next several years. Very unscientific but I am trying to see the time line for peonies to react to certain weather conditions. I have noticed that some of mine seem to take three years from the time the bud starts forming until bloom. I would like to see if in areas that seldom have cold weather when the best, heaviest, blooms emerge. Every thing I read states should be this spring but I am beginning to believe weather at time of eruption of bud plays a bigger part. Please keep me informed if you can. Thanks and I for one am looking forward to warmer temps.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

This may not be of interest to the subject but I learned last Spring that mulched peonies were delayed by a week or more over the unmulched ones. All were established peonies of 4 or 5 years age. We have some freaky weather where it is warm and the peonies begin to break bud and put up new shoots and then get hit with a late freeze. The mulch--I use the cypress chips, slows the process and could make a big difference as the weather changes.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I mulched my peonies with leaves and woodchips. I still have 3 in pots and hope they are going to make it. Right now we have 3-4 inches of snow.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I think it's very good that you are conducting research into this problem. It's a problem that many of us would very much like to see remedied. As one of those southerners who rarely gets enough cold hours to promote bloom, I agree that my plants should most surely set buds this year as we have already had enough cold to do the job. However, I think there are a few problems with the study. For one thing, most of the people you need to reach, those in the hottest parts of the south, have probably long since given up on peonies entirely and thus are not even on the peony forum.

Also, the problem with blooms in the extreme south is 2 fold. In addition to the problem of insufficient cold hours to promote blooms, there is also the problem of temps getting too high very early in the season such that the buds of all but the very earliest blooming varieties will shrivel and die prior to opening. If one is not extremely careful and observant, buds may even shrivel and die before being seen and recorded. Either way, if the issue of extreme and early heat is not addressed, no quantity of cold hours is likely to result in a good bloom display.

That said, I do hope that you are able to get good data from your study. There is no plant I would more like to grow in my garden than the peony. In particular, I would love to grow large, double pink peonies of the Sarah Bernhardt variety. Good luck with your study.

Durham, NC(Zone 7b)

I had to buy a book by a professor at U of GA - he mentions in there that they are starting trials down there for peonies in the south... to better help southern gardeners with choosing cultivars that might work for them. He does state that no matter what - peonies will always do better for someone in Canada over the US. Let me know if you'd like more info. on author/book/etc... Perhaps they will find a cultivar that does ok for zone 8 and maybe higher.

Ellensburg, WA

Would this be of help to anyone? It is information presented on the website for peony nursery, Chateau CharMarron Gardens, located in San Jose, CA. www.4irises.com

"Herbaceous peonies do best in USDA zones 2-8. However if you live in a warmer climate and would like to grow peonies, here are a few suggestions. Choose earlier blooming types that blossom before the heat of summer. Single and semi double forms also fare better than the double or bomb types. Plant the roots no deeper than 1' below the soil surface, watering only as needed. Your herbaceous peony will begin to die back in August in preparation for a period of needed dormancy. Remove and burn any foliage to avoid disease problems. Some proven warmer climate varieties include 'Charlie's White', 'Festiva Maxima', 'Kansas' & 'Do Tell'. In California, abundant moisture is a necessity, meaning thorough soakings every few days. Partial shade may be preferred and success will be better at higher altitude."

I can understand the frustration. Peonies are breathtaking in the spring garden. Good Luck.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Does he say why they will always be better in Canada? Ours always do beautifully here, and can only imagine how they would look in Canada, lol! What book is it?

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I would venture to guess that any of the colder Northern States would have peonies that do as well as the Canada...
I think it is us in the borderline zones that he is referring to. And I am definitely on the border, but have had fairly good luck with getting herbaceous peonies to bloom. And yes, the early blooming ones work out best here, and protecting them from the afternoon sun is a must.

I keep sporadic garden notes, but will try to watch my peonies a little closer this year. We got maybe a total of 10 below freezing nights this winter. But, this has not been an exceptional cold year in my area - unlike what the rest of the United States is having to deal with.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

What was the name of the book/ author?

Durham, NC(Zone 7b)

Herbaceous Perennial Plants. Third edition. By Allan Armitage. Stipes Press. ISBN 978-1-
58874-775-4. Suggested retail price $68.80.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Thanks!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Peonies do better in most areas of Canada- and I presume also the northern USA because we are able to provide the long cold period they need in the winter-

There seem to be a lot of Fern Leaf hybrids available now- since they are all early bloomer they would probably do well in the southern states. Some breeders ( Like La Pivoinerie d"Aoust) indicate what week the plant blooms ( 1-7)so one can look for varieties that are early bloomers

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I was most surprised by this thread stating that the south has difficulty growing peonies. I've grown peonies here in zone 7b in Duluth, GA for years and have had no problems. I even planted new roots with 2 - 3 eyes in the fall of 2009 that grew well and flowered in 2010. I guess my peonies haven't read the books. I'll post some pictures when I get home from vacation.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Are you up high? Like maybe in cooler areas of Georgia? I am always surprised at how much variance there may be in one state. Little pockets that sort of defy the zone. Being in one myself, I am grateful they exist.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Cem,

You indicate that you are in Zone 7b. I am in Zone 9. I know my info says 8b, but updated maps now list me in 9 which actually is a much better fit for my temps. I've done extensive research on this subject, because I love those big, full, pink peonies and really wanted to grow them. It's possible to grow peonies in zone 8 on the west coast, but 7 is the cutoff on the east coast. This is because the zone system we are using is actually specific to cold temps not heat. Zone 8 on the west coast typically doesn't get as hot as here.

Anyhow, your zone, zone 7 is completely in keeping with the area within which peonies are known to flourish. Mine is not. The plants will grow here. They just don't bloom reliably or at all well. I have seen the occasional single bloom open some years before the heat takes over. As I've repeatedly tried to explain to everyone, once you get to my area of the South, there are 2 problems which together make blooming peonies all but impossible.

Most years we don't receive enough cold hours to prompt the plants to produce buds. This past winter was the exception and will probably lead to many buds. Unfortunately, even when we get sufficient cold hours to make buds, very high temps early in the spring almost always cause the buds to blast before opening. The only peonies that might have a chance of blooming here would be the very early bloomers which to date are all singles, usually red or white. I am really only interested in full, dbl, light pink peonies along the lines of Sarah Bernhardt, although I truly doubt that even the early varieties would thrive here.

There really is a big difference between your zone 7b and my zone 9. Just to make my case, I have a split leaf philodendron (house plant) growing in a large pot in front of my house. It has been outside year round for 10yrs now. I suspect that such a plant would die if left outside through the winter in your area. I am very happy for you that peonies do well in your area.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

My area is in zone 6b and we grow peonies here. I planted my first last summerr and just checked them and they are starting to send out growth. Everybody around here grows peonies and I've always wanted some. Now I have some.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

marti001,

Glad to hear they do well for you - and envious. Just to clarify it's zone 8 and higher where peonies don't bloom at all well, although they grow just fine.

Kansas City, MO

You really need to forget about zones and think of possible ways to grow what you want. My original message was because many have complained that they receive not enough chill hours. Since due to the cold fronts this year several places South of KC where I live have received colder temps and more snow this year. The weather may effect this years bloom or it may take a couple of years for the best show since buds take time to develop.

By thinking of possibilities I mean things like planting in the shady side of your house where the soil does not warm as quickly. Plant roots very shallow. Look for peonies that have been grown traditionally in your area. If you see some ask what they are and if you can have a start.

You have to try to remember that zones are an historical average of cool temps in any area and has nothing to do with soil conditions, moisture, or time of moisture being received. A wet winter in some areas will rot many things but not others. Some areas have wet summers but dry winters and some have the opposite.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I've been growing peonies instead of azaleas. They grow just fine in Atlanta, GA, 7b.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

mstella, I'm just northeast of the perimeter 285, and you're right, we have microclimates within our own yards. My peonies are grown behind my house which gets mostly afternoon sun. The bed furthest away from the house in the back actually stays warmer and gets more sun, and this was where the newly planted peonies bloomed. We do get pretty cold in GA, especially this past winter where it was really cold, starting in November. It's starting to warm up in the past several weeks, but we are known to have frost dates in April and sometimes May. DreamofSpring, I believe being closer to the coast keeps you warmer. Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time getting peonies to bloom. You're also correct that a philodendron would die here, tender tropicals have to be over wintered in my basement. Here's one of my blooms from last Spring. Annette

This message was edited Mar 20, 2011 10:41 PM

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Another that was planted Fall of 2009, blooming in Spring of 2010.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem of Duluth - is your peonies peeking out of the ground. I have some up already and some are not even out of the ground. You are not too far from me. I hear it's raining there today.

This message was edited Mar 15, 2011 12:13 PM

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

My peonies are already poking up out of the ground. Along with dayliies, iris and roses.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

LiliMerci, My peonies are up and out, about 6in tall and counting for some, others about 2-3in tall. Looking forward to the Spring blooms.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am so confused about zones any more. I was a 6 a, then 6b and now I look and it says I am zone 7...lol

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Ok, who created the zone map, clearly the plants don't know what zone they're in, which is good for us and them. If I like a plant, I try it, and in my yard it's survival of the fittest. I do take good care of them, but if they don't make it, I get a chance to put something else in it's place. That's what gardening is all about and we all love it.

Cem9165 -- we are absolutely on the same page. Alaska can be a tough place to grow stuff, but I bust the zone regularly with tree peonies, helleborus, bearded Iris. And I am luv'n it!!!! Okay, so pride goeth before a fall.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Amen, mstella, just keep on planting. Post some pics of your blooms this year.

I'm a zone pusher....

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL LiliMerci!!!! Looks like we all are.

I will keep track of this thread and post pictures of my tree peonies (God willing) when they bloom. Should be June 21-25. Oh, but then the helleborus proceeds that. Well, as they decide to present themselves. lol

Here is a picture of my Blue Lagoon - taken last year (2010). It was a WalMart special. Nothing blue about this flower.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

It is herbaceous, yes? I am told it takes a couple of years to achieve the true color. I have a tree peony (Kamata-nishiki) that is supposed to be a pale lavender with white edges and it looks pretty much like yours.

Thumbnail by Oberon46

another pic

Thumbnail by Oberon46

It is herbacious, but I think it was just a marketing gimmick for WalMart. I didn't look at the cultivar at the time, just wanted a peony and it was cheap. It was a small plant and I think I had it for 2 years before I saw blooms.

mstella, that is pretty. I love the red tints in the leaves.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2011 3:21 PM

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

I have one just like your's. My peony was supposed to be 'Bowl of Beauty'. My wife likes that one more than some of my fancy reds. Lowe's and Wal-Mart are ok if you just want filler plants. Just don't take their pictures and names literally. They just sell what they get from a broker at the lowest costs.

My peony is at least 5 years old and it has not changed.

bowl of beauty is a gorgeous peony. Have been very tempted. but I have been focusing on trees and intersectionals. And of course getting yellow ones. I have Lemon Chiffon and it bloomed the first spring. Planted it in frozen ground (well, the hole was predug and filled with warm earth) in October. Bloomed in July next year

Thumbnail by Oberon46

This is Coral Sunset

Thumbnail by Oberon46
Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

My bowl of beauty turned out to be a simple single, almost flat, pink with the yellow stamens(?) in the center. Fades in sunlight. There are probably at least a half dozen others with the same characteristics. I think they were 3 for $5 so I really cannot complain.

I saw the Bowl of Beauty at the local nusery but it was expensive. I had a cream color to it. Can't remember which yellow one I have.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.