?heirloom (Rosmarinus officinalis) varieties, tell'em apart?

Hinsdale, IL

I've receiced a packet of rosmary (Rosmarinus officinalis) seeds. In big bold letters is the word heilroom.. I would like to figure out exactly what type of rosmary I have. Are there many varieties of heirloom rosmary (Rosmarinus officinalis), or just a few, and how do I tell them apart. If there'e anyone who can answer any of these questions, I would be very greatfull for your help.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Strange2u ~ I am sorry no one has responded. I am by no means an expert on rosemary but have good reference books. Looking up your question, I found this answer in Southern Herb Growing .

Quoting:

Rosemaries are divided into either the upright or the prostrate varieties. Both types are R. officinalis, with many cultivars.

So yes, there are many varieties of Rosemary officinalis. Obviously the way to distinguish the upright or prostrate varieties is easy. To determine which variety it is will be far more difficult.

I have never heard herbals referred to as heirlooms specifically but would suspect they are for the most part all heirlooms. I don't think many folks intentionally cross to develop new strains of herbs. On occasion a new herb is discovered by the natural process of evolution but not by man.

I will be curious to see how your seed germinates and how the rosemary grows out for you. I have read it is difficult to germinate and best propagated by cuttings. I would suspect it will have to be offered winter protection in your zone also?

This message was edited Dec 29, 2010 9:02 PM

Hinsdale, IL

Thank you for the information podster. I'm still a bit of a newby, to most parts of gardening. I'll try to post my progress and results, with growing these seeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.