What's happening in your neck of the woods friends? Dec/10

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Thought perhaps we should 'flip over' before Xmas ...

We came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1142635/

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Never sure I've done that 'switcheroo' correctly .. could be sittin in here myself LoL

LAST trip to town today .. CRAZY to have done it .. the city has gone bezerk !!!! Was everso pleased to have only had 2 stops to make.

Gorgeous weather here and predicted for the next week !!! Laurie, I sure hope you folks are going to be OK .. saw the SURGE videos on CBC ..

Wanted to wish everyone a HUGELY wonderful Christmas ^_^
Enjoy, reflect and prepare for a fantastic 2011 ~~

~M~

ONE MORE SLEEP !!!!

Never thought this day would arrive .. not intending to go OUT anywhere today unless it's to walk poochies, or, enjoy the beautiful day that is predicted.
Have some laundry to do, and some veggies to pre cut for tomorrows dinner.
Other than that .. zippety doo dah ...

I sure hope everyone is feeling fit and well .. truth be told, i THINK I have a toothache, but am unsure as to whether it's my jaw, or, my tooth. So .. not uncommon for me, I plan to ignore it until 2011 LoL

Take care everyone, keep similing

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning everyone, thanks for moving us over..not 1 sleep for me, having and have the family here today, having dinner around 4pm then opening gifts if not before..lol..actually Jeff's kids came yesterday afternoon and were sitting around, not a lot to do at grandma's house but Jeff knowing I had purchased the xbox kinnect brought the main unit...I asked Jeff would he mind if I gave them those gifts so they could play??? yep got them, told them they were NOT to tell anyone they got them from me, my other grandchildren know if I bought one thing all would get the same, no fighting there that one got more than the other..lol..

Went over to Greg's for supper, Melanie made mention that Noah said they must be getting a kinnect because the other boys have one..ok..who told???

I'll keep them in suspense, give them all their other gifts, just leave the kinnect for an hour or so just to make them wonder..

Aren't I terrible..

I'm overwhelmed with Santa so far..friend bought me a new computer monitor, then a set of 3 hand phones because mine are always going dead (happy days Susan right?)

Then Greg gave me a coat, always joking that I'm picking up supplies in Barrie for jobs he's doing and should get a paycheck..employees all got a jacket and I got one with company logo..really nice jacket, comes in 3 parts, can use it as a vest, a light jacket or winter coat...

Oh and Darlene and her husband Mike will come next week and build new steps and landing in the back entrance as my gift

Not sure what comes next but now I'm blessed with friends and family.

"M" how excited you will be, having 2 dogs what is one more??? great Christmas pressie..

So glad no major storms in the east, watched the newscast and thought of you all..think we're all lucky this Christmas, doesn't seem to be any major storm brewing across Canada so Santa and his reindeers ought not have trouble reaching your door.

As for the afghans I delievered them at 9am this morning, they were thrilled to get them...I am thinking that although my niece works there she didn't ask even though I inquired quite a few times so that will teach me to do it myself next time.

Well, better check on my turkey, yikes paid $82. and change - think it's about a 25 lb. turkey..don't want to do the math on that bird..nope, didn't make an error and didn't charge me for de-boning it, several others in the cooler were around $86 - $90 ..oh well, ready for Christmas no sense getting uptight about what we are eating...

Gab later, don't want to burn Christmas dinner...

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

g'morning all - "hitting the ground running today" as I am home to get things ready for Christmas and took today off........... at lest I Thought I did!
Got woken up by one of my bosses - someone was there to install docking stations for laptops, and she couldn't find out where those were.............. so she thought "Susan might know! Apologized profusely for waking me up but hey...... I have things to do, so it's time I woke up, I guess (yawwwwwwwn - we were at Wally-World at 1pm cuz Bob needed some teflon tape and was setting up our new shower head!!!!!!) yaaaaaaaawn.......

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Have done part of an aquafit class before the NOISE they called music drove me out of the pool in spite of my earplugs. Had coffee at Tim's with other aquafitters. The re-opening on my regular pool which has a good canteen and better coffee than Tim's (not to mention a whole lot cheaper) has been delayed to early February. (It was supposed to have been end of November).

Am now putting together a good lit of needed items and will head out to the grocery store before it gets too late.

If I don't get back, I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol and nurse Skyelar!

My friend staying with me until this evening brought her sheltie with her and he looks after mee nicely!.

Bailey just ame home this morning, Abby wll come on Monday.

Getting along slowly, need to take more walks .

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Oh Carol .. what a lovely picture ^_^
You look good, but tired I think .. do your walks, but don't overdo.

Well .. for heavens sake .. BETTY CROCKER popped out of the closet .. told me to make fresh buns .. and .. I did .. worlds simplest recipe, buns turned out fabulous.

I sure hope your bird turns out well for you Betty .. I was going to NOT stuff mine for the first time ever as i read that you get a more moist breast .. well .. there would be NO room in the fridge for my KitcheAid roaster AND a 9x13 pan :-(
So .. stuff the bird I shall ..

Friends are arriving for a quiet evening .. looking forward to it ..

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone
Happy BDay Dec.25 Linda :-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi all

I am 'alone' for the first time in 3 weeks! And peaceful it is! My friend who stayed with me has gone off to celebrate Xmas with family, Bailey came home this morning and we are enjoying our time. Not that I dont appreciate all that has been done for me but when you are used to living alone sometimes you desperately need a bit of that!. Lots of people dropping in off and on today. I have a fridge and freezer full of food.
Today was my best day since the surgery. Only got out for one walk but did not have to lie down for a nap all day. Lots of sitting of course but no naps needed and least amount of discomfort yet. Maybe that means I will sleep well tonight.
I hope you all have a lovely Xmas day tomorrow.

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Well the gifts are wrapped, the baking is done, and we're on our way out to a friends church. It's a small wooden one holds about 50, and will be a candle light service.

I hope that you all have a lovely Christmas with as much family or peace as you wish.

Glad to hear you had a good day Carol.
Thanks Marilyn for the Bday wishes

Hi everyone .. I was up and at'em early, just now waiting for others to stir .. Lilly and Piper are by my side on the love seat and SMOKEY is making his way through the GIFTS .. I do believe SANTA came last night LoL

My XMAS is made better knowing Carol is feeling better ...

Wanted to POP in and say MERRY CHRISTMAS !!! Let the paper start to RIP LoL

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, as you start your day I spend mine tidying up..family just left, another Christmas for them..once the house is half put back in order I've a few places to visit and drop off last of the gifts...

Carol, that photo is lovely, so relieved that you are now home and resting..quiet is what you need. Know you are not alone though, always someone near the computer should you wish to chat..sending prayers and soft hugs (don't want to hurt you)

Wonderful to know you are all enjoying your Christmas..I keep saying they can't get much better but it seems the next year they do..

I received wonderful pressies, food warmer,computer monitor, new phones now Susan and I can gab and my phone won't go dead), clothes, ebook and healthy gift certificate for e-book store, lots/lots of $$$, after having the furnace die, new snowtires on my car, snowplowman, Christmas, my new nest-egg will come in handy but am sure next week being off I'll spend somewhere to spend it..lol

BUT, the best of all gifts were:

Goat - sent in my name to a 3rd world country

Sleeping Children foundation - tent, bed, mattress, blankets for a child

Heart and Stroke Foundation - calendar with daily draws

Gifts helping others, how can you go wrong with those..got to love them..

Well upstairs I go, seems I had a lot of drippings in my oven, so cleaning it I must (imagine doing that on Christmas morning), make all the beds in spare rooms, vacuum, wash floors, dust, all no more than 1 hour and then I'll feel better about going out!

Have some photo's, will share tonight..hope you've taken some as well..

May today be the Christmas you've always wanted!

Huge sigh or relief here .. another Xmas is in the memory books .. it was a nice one, quiet and filled with contentment.
Can't ask for much more than that ^_^

Betty .. I have a dear friend who volunteers with 'Sleeping Children Foundation' .. she has travelled to several countries with the bedding bundles. In 'real life', she's a psychiatrist in Toronto. When she speaks of the Foundation, her face lights up.

WHile walking the dogs yesterday along our country road, I was struck by the 'silence' of Xmas. Seems there were few cars out, the only noise to be heard was the distant drone of skidoos.

Have enough turkey to keep 'Betty Crocker' busy for a couple of days .. the fridge is full of 'stuff' .. finding particular items will be diffficult for a bit.

Hope everyone enjoys Boxing Day .. anyone going shopping ?

OH !!! For the first time ever .. I had the opportunity to use 'ANBESOL' .. my tooth was pitching a FIT last night .. one application of it and BOOM .. toothache gone, and it remained GONE throughout the night. This morning .. the tooth that WAS aching is no longer doing so, but, another one is !!!! SHEESH !
My dear Mum would say 'You have a COLD in your teeth' .. maybe she wasn't far wrong with that assumption ?

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, been up for quite awhile, house is now back in order, almost tempted to put away all the Christmas decorations but think I shall wait a few days...not sure what to do with myself..no shopping for me, shopped out..do want to drive to Barrie though, they have a corner computer desk on for good price and thought as I now have new monitor,fax/printer etc. it wouldn't hurt to re-organize..just frightened of all those cords, but it has started to snow, heard the N.Y. forecast, getting ready for major storm so thought I'd best just stay in my nighty today.

Dannie, who is now staying with me for a few months (if indeed she does) due to marital problems came home after 2 days away at her place with her son, think he's 15, so company to use up all that leftover food..

"M" was thinking the same yesterday as I drove over to Mike and Ann's, thought everyone had moved out of Dodge, so quiet, no cars..you'd think it would have been busy with everyone out visiting but NOT!

Ooops company up, best I go make coffee, be back in a bit

Victoria Harbour, ON

OK, shake me silly, drop me on my head...

Went to Barrie this morning, tunes playing, sunshine abound, made me lonesome for Florida..just got in the house, Dannie is packing me a lunch, I'm packing a few pieces of clothing and off I go to Florida to do mom's packing..will stay the week and perhaps even a few extra days, not sure, depends on my bank account..lol

Cathy came with me this morning to Barrie, had intended to purchase quite a few things..i.e. new computer desk etc. but thought 'what shall I do, what shall I do' came in, telephoned mom and off I go..just called Cathy, she doesn't drive but said, 'how do you feel about packing a bag inside of 1 hour and leave for Florida?' think I took her by surprise, she said she'd call me back in 5 minutes which she did so off we go...

Dannie is upstairs making me roast beef, ham and turkey sandwhiches and some veggies and dip for the trip..

Won't have access of computer but you know me, I'll go to the library and post so you all know I'm o.k.

Nothing like spur of the moment I say!!! wish we had snow falling, wind blowing then I'd never have decided to do this..lol

Have to stop in Barrie to change over the telephones, then on to mom's for the key and ownership of the place then off I go..

Enjoy the holidays, talk later..

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol
Great to see you posting. After having house fulls I do get the peace and quiet thing too. I bet it was good to have a furry heater with you on the Couch. What a kind friend to stay for a while to make sure you weren't alone.

It seems that everyone is in the Caos of Christmas and this seems to be the mid point for , Ok now here comes spring!
I have some seeds that will be started at the end or mid February and I need to check my stored Canna's to ensure they don't dry out like last year.

Ann

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Carol - good to see you're resting, and as for walking - obviously it will be a slow, steady walk so you don't over-do......
Betty - what lovely gifts you got!!!

It was a beautiful Christmas with Bob's & my voice coach plus 3 friends from Church. Our voice coach also teaches piano (plays for the Alberta Ballet), and she played about 3/4 of an hour for us, on our old piano - Lovely!

Next Saturday (New Year's Day) we'll host another dinner party, with 6 guests.
New Year's Eve we're going to the Community Centre for a New Year's Eve party - 7pm to 1am. Family Friendly with young ones bringing their jammies LOL

WELL now .. that Betty sure does not let any grass grow under HER feet :-)
All I can hope is that she has a safe journey and a wonderful vacation !!

Susan, you are fer sure busy !!! Enjoy your NYs Eve party ..

Kind of an understatement to say 'Christmas was busy' .. but not only was it busy (and now GONE) .. but .. I have had this horrid toothache/jaw ache/ WHO KNOWS what it is ? Have several people upset with me as I will NOT go to emerg ... and .. my dentist is off til Jan.3 and I am going to wait for him ..
Of course .. I am not 100% sure it IS a toothache ... very frustrating this !!!!

We have people coming for dinner NY Eve .. so .. this is going to be very interesting !!

Hope everyone is well

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

have you tried oil of cloves??
or even stick a clove in, if you have the whole ones.......

Gave in .. called my dentist who immediately ordered me some antibiotics and will see me Monday morning.
Have got to admit .. I am in quite a bit of pain .. but .. that'll be a goner once the antibiotics kick in. Just have to pick'em up ..

Off n running

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Marilynne - that's a GOOD thing to have called the dentist. There's likely something going on. I hope you don't lose a tooth. You may be experiencing the kind of intermittent inflammation I had with my tooth (or rather gums) and if I'd consulted a dentist earlier I might still have the tooth.

Am heading out to do some errands. We have our annual open house on Sunday and there's a long list of things to do this week. Much of it is house cleaning as this party takes over the whole place.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn - good luck on the tooth..... glad you called your Dentist! I hope it's all good news for you ^_^

I'm going to figure out how to use my camcorder I got used this summer.
Also, my Vinyl Record converter - I got it last Christmas and haven't been able to figure it out......
I have a VHS-to-DVD converter and figured it out LOL (gotta hook up a VCR to the computer LOL)

Hope you were able to figure out the electronics Susan.

I haveta tell ya .. I am in AGONY with this tooth .. I started the antibiotics, but, it's going to take a bit for them to kick in .. analgesics are fruitless .. trying to rest is virtually impossible ... guess I'm a bit desperate for some sleep, and, some FOOD .. I had a soda biscuit this afternoon and ACCIDENTALLY let my top left teeth hit my bottom left teeth (where the abcessed tooth is) .. GAWD .. it was like having 1200 volts of raw energy pour through my jaw !! Brought me to tears that's for sure !!
WIll just have to hope for better days ...

Ann .. I forsee a root canal .. minimum :-(

TTFN

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Marilynne - you can get Tylenol 1 with codeine over the counter or try taking Ibuprofen to help directly with the pain.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

ooooooh Marilyn - hope those meds are "kicking in" now......
That sounds Totally painful!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Dropping in with a very quick 'hi' down here in Florida, was cold last night but beautiful day today..expect to leave for Home Friday sometime..hope you are all behaving

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

Hello and a belated Merry Christmas to you all! Sounds like everyone had a good holiday, except for Marilyn and your tooth, hope you get that cleared up fast, it is awful having a toothache.
Had a wonderful visit with my brother, he really is my best friend, I laughed more than I have in a long time. He arrived on the 23rd and was supposed to leave the 27th but because of a major snowstorm all the planes were canceled and he couldn't get out until today. So I am just home from the airport now. I find the house quiet now and will for a few days until I get used to just me and the animals again. Back to work tomorrow and everything gets back to normal.

Here I be .. back to the land of the living !! Seems I have been hunkered down in bed forever.
Obviously the antibiotics kicked in sometime early this morning .. maybe around 5am .. I know this as I wakened sleeping on my left side, my FAVE side, and one I have not slept on in days .. and .. NO excruciating pain !!
I got up this morning, showered and felt good enough to head to town to do so much needed banking .. only boo boo .. I brought my antibiotics along but NOT my tylenol extra strength ;-(
Got home and had a thumper goin on .. took some tylenol and it has settled down now ..

Laurie .. so great you had such a wonderful visit with your brother :-)

HI BETTY :-)

~M~

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=2684450885801&source=jl999

From me to you ...

Happy New Year :-)

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Happy New Year everyone. I hope that your 2011 will be a great year.

Ann

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

Happy New Year to all!!

New Year’s Toast

Here’s to the new year...
May it bring more joy and success
And less grief and regret.

To our dreams...
May we never stop believing in them
And taking the actions that will make them a reality.

To our friends, loved ones, associates (or colleagues)...
May we take the time to let them know
How much it means to us
To have them in our lives.

Let us encourage more and criticize less,
Give more and need less.
And whenever we can,
Let us create harmony and peace.

To new beginnings...
Let us start fresh, right now,
To make this the very best year ever.

A very Happy New Year to all of us!

Well said Laurie ^_^

Merry New Year to everyone .... I just HAVE to be different LOL

Got an Alberta Clipper mixed with a Colorado Low breezing through Thunder Bay .. snowblowers will be getting a good workout !!! BIG drifting happening ...
Dogs LUV it

Enjoy the first day of the New Year !!!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Laurie
Very well said!

Happy New year to you all.

Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Happy New Year All!

I bought 2 new Amaryllis this year ( had given away all my old ones as they had not flowered for a couple of years.) While I was in hospital one stock opened and the plant actually fell over- there were 5 blooms on the stalk, now there are two more and again 5 blooms on each one. Alhough it was bought as a white with pink stripes it is in fact white with slight green inside. The stalks are so tall and heavy I have to let them lean against the window! The other is a nice pink and the 2nd stalk is about to open.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Carol .. what an absolutely beautiful BUNCH of Amaryllis ^_^
My Mum had one that was Purple on the outer petals and a lighter pinky purple inside .. gosh is was lovely .. but .. TWO blooms only and ever each year for 3 years, maybe 4.
So wonderful to hear from you .. all the very best in 2011 !!

TWO more sleeps til Monday. I am in anxious anticipation of seeing my dentist .. I truly would NEVER wish this pain and discomfort on ANYONE, even my worst enemy ...
I had thought that the antibiotic would lessen the pain kinda like HOURLY by reducing the infection which is causing the swelling .. silly me !! Spent New Years Eve in bed praying for some kind of relief .. and .. i KNOW i could have gone to emerg and had some stranger do ?something?, but, I am kinda committed to waiting for MY dentist ..
Am thinkin you guys will be glad to hear me NOT talking about this LoL

Having 6 in for supper .. all good friends who are aware of my 'problem'.

Off to set the table

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Happy New Years' Everyone...

I'm about 1 hour to Detroit, Michigan, going to spend the night, get much needed sleep then homeward bound..not sure, think it takes about 5 or 6 hours from Windsor to home..

Interesting trip, will tell you all about it when I get home..sure hope all is well with you all, haven't read the above, have someone waiting for computer...night/night

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Happy New Year, everyone!!!!

I hope everyone had a peaceful, lovely New Year's Eve & Day!~M~ - we had 6 for dinner as well ^_^

Carol - your Amethyst almost looks like an Easter Lily!
I haven't been on much, so how was your Christmas, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day?
I hope you've gotten all the rest you needed ^_^

Victoria Harbour, ON

Just arrived home few hours ago, enjoyed myself somewhat, will tell you all about it tomorrow as I've just had my bath, tired and have to work tomorrow, well perhaps not work but have to be at the office and will have an entire day to chit/chat...

Sure hope everyone had a great holiday!

Waving to all!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Prayers for my mom's speedy recovery, please.
She fell, twice, on New Year's Eve (actually Jan 1st, at 3am).
She's almost 92, and my brother had come home from a party, fell asleep in a chair. He heard her fall at 3am, and tried to pick her up. She was "dead weight" and he fell trying to pick her up (she's only 89 lbs, and 4'11"!) He finally got her to get her knees under her and got her to the walker. She went to the washroom and before the doorway fell Again! She said she was fine, but the next morning he saw blood on her arm & housecoat. She'd gotten quite a gash on her right arm and bruised her right side (she's right-handed). They took her to the hospital and she was there about 8 hours. They put her at the front of the line just as she was about to sit down. They took x-rays, and did a cognitive test and she passed with flying colours. By then it had been over 12 hours and she looked fine so they sent her home. I spoke to her and she really sounds ok. She is falling more often however, so please send some prayers her way.......

Susan .. prayers ans +ve thoughts coming your Moms wayBay.
Great her XRays were -ve and her cognition is good .. poor dear must be frantic about the falling ..

HEY Betty .. am hoping all went well for you .. doubt I'll be on tomorrow .. it's my DENTIST day for this horrid tooth .. 10 days in pain is WAY enough for me thanks .. Xmas and New Years was pretty much runied ..

Off to shower and then HOPEFULLY some sleep ..

Give me your best positive thoughts tomorrow .. I AM A WUSS!!

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.