Christmases past

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Do you have any old Christmas stories or pics you'd like to share? Guess as I'm getting older I'm getting more nostalgic and missing my parents....this week was the year anniversary of my mom's passing.

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

This isn't that long ago...2006 but love this pic of my daughter

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Sorry, Jen. Deaths near the holidays are tough.

Adorable pic! I remember you posting shortly after she was born.

Here's my dad with the three of us.

Thumbnail by victorgardener

And just us.

And Dad with my brother.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I don't have a lot of old ones, unfortunately

Hubby and his bro 1966

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hubby and his sis 1971

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

My 1st Christmas 1969...

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Same year...little tree guess it's on the tv so I would stay away from it....notice the drapes...YIKES!!!!

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Our Keeshond 1993 2nd Christmas in our first house

Thumbnail by flowAjen
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Jen,
Please know you are not the only one who feels this way right now, it hits me year after year and i'm sure there are others here that feel the same way.
My Dad died when I was 25.....when I think of Christmas I think of him. He loved it more than anybody I knew, or know even now. He went out of his way to be extra nice to strangers, picked up one or two 'bums' as they were called back in those days and took them to breakfast...he did this every year. Said they were people too, some just down on their luck and others that were just sick in the mind and can't help it but they needed to feel cared about too and what better time than Christmas? Waitress that had waited on him through out the year got cards, a box of chocolates and and extra good tip...needy families got surprise gifts left on their doorstep, and the list goes on. I was, and still am very proud to be that man's daughter!
Christmas brings mixed emotions but the most promient one for me is GRADITUDE....for all that i've learned, all that i've loved and lost, and for the wonderful family and friends that surround my life.

Thomaston, CT

Pixie, what a role model you had, & I feel that you turned out just like him! Jen & Victor, lovely photos.....sorry Jen, that you lost your Dad at this time of year...no time is good, but the holidays make it dreadful.....the fellow across the road from me lost his Dad on Christmas Day....he still is bothered by it some 25 years later.....here is Garret's Christmas at 15 months, it's 1975....looks like he's too sleepy to appreciate the bike!

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

Here he is later in the day in his Christmas outfit.....he was a wiry kid....would go all day....no naps....and finally crash around 7......me, too! Forgot the photo!

This message was edited Dec 23, 2010 9:48 AM

Thomaston, CT

:)

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Very well said Celeste as I sit here bawling my eyes out!! ♥

Sorry for your loss Jen, this is a hard time of year for many of us. The first few years without my mom were dreadful for me. The memories now come with more smiles than tears.

I love all the old photos☺Such great memories.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Robin, it was my mom that died last Christmas season, my dad was the day after 4th of July 6yrs ago.

Celeste that's great memories of your dad

Thomaston, CT

Oh, dear...so sorry, Jen!

East Bridgewater, MA

Yeah, had to reach for the kleenex on this thread.

Enjoyed the photos, though.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I used a whole box of kleenex Christmas Eve, DD gave me a present from the past.
She had a calender made through Shutterfly with all my family in it. And when I say "ALL" I mean ALL! I open it up and on the first page is a big photo my brother who died when he was 40 years old, his B-day is Jan. 3rd. This started the tears, my father & mothers wedding picture, my wedding picture, my kids, grandkids and children i've taken in. My nieces , nephews, Aunts, Uncles, brothers, SIL's and Grandparents were all in there. Everyone was just staring at me because I could not stop the tears... It truely was a gift of love from the heart.

Thomaston, CT

Oh, Pix, how wonderful....Doug's niece sent a photo of us together in her mother's Memorial garden.....it, too, brought tears........

Very nice, Celeste.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Jen, sorry to hear of your sadness at the loss of your parents. It is especially difficult at Christmas because it was our parents who made Christmas so magical in many cases. That first photo of your little girl is so pretty. I see you in her, especially the eyes. I enjoyed seeing all of your family holiday photos!

Celeste, I was just enthralled to read about your father and his tradition of respecting and giving to those who are down and out. Now I know where it comes from in you. You are your father's daughter, for sure. What a lovely, thoughtful gift from DD to you. That nut didn't fall far from the tree either!

Robin, neat photos of your son!

Thomaston, CT

Thanks, Louise.....I love him to pieces!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

I get that! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.