Trading overseas??

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Has anyone ever traded iris rhizomes with out-of-country members? I have really never thought of it as I figured the paper requirements and costs wuld justnot be worth it. BUT...what does it really involve? What about purchasing rhizomes from over-seas??? What are the requirements and costs involved?
Thanks!
deb

Lebanon, OR

This message was edited Jan 12, 2011 3:17 PM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I checked into it. I was and still am hoping to import some Japanese irises from Japan. But it's pretty discouraging. And I won't sell any of mine overseas. It's not so much the cost for the phyto, but as Dee pointed out, there are horror stories of the plants being held up in customs for months, or thrown out, even with the proper paperwork.

I can see taking a chance with bearded irises, like Dee does. I would never try it with the beardless.

There are so many beautiful irises to be had in the states, I don't really see the need to spend the money for overseas, normally. I know it would be exciting to get irises from Russia, say, but I don't think it's worth the hassle.

I do think people have had success purchasing Blythe irises, though, from Australia.

Lebanon, OR

This message was edited Jan 12, 2011 3:17 PM

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

There is someone that would like to trade TB irises. His country (I have to go back and look but maybe Belgium?) does not require import/export fees for individuals where they are growing as a hobby and not as a business. The only cost attached would be shipping. That is why I was wondering what it involves. I think someone coming to inspect the rhizomes at a hobby growers home would be rather funny. Not that I don't understand why...just the #'s of plants involved!
deb

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I guess I would only worry about them being held up at customs, then, Deb. I don't think the inspector is going to come out to your home. And I've never heard of a hobby gardener having an inspection for shipping plants. I don't know how it works.

But, you've got the best chance with bearded irises of about any plant, I would think. And if you keep in mind you might lose them, and it's wouldn't be too much of a loss to you, then I say go for it.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I guess any time you trade with anyone you take a chance on losing.. I am certainly not one to talk. I think I still owe a couple of people plants. This past summer I tried to stay with plants for postage, sales, and coops and am glad I did so I wouldn't worry so much about needing to get things out to someone. Traveling back and forth and trying to keep things up at both houses, trying to get more moved and more plants transferred was just all I could do. When I can get back to trading I want to start sending mine first as I think that would probably be the best way to do it for me.
Anyway, I might try it once to see. I had two friends that used to sell orchids. One went to Mexico/SA every so often and brought them back in hidden in crates in his car. Paid natives to get them for him. He finally got caught and was given a 2000.00 fine but that would have not even touched the value of plants he brought in over the years. He quit after that. Next time he would probably have gotten much worse. He had no permits.
The other one was being watched for some time. They raided his house, took his computer and stuff. He got 18 mos. in prison and 150,000 fine. But then, he was having a man hide an endangered Paph among very similar orchids in the boxes. He did have a permit but not for protected species. He should have been out for quite a few years now and know nothing about him anymore.
Just never want to get in a position like that!!
Both were large volume sellers and only the second was a declared business. Both also sold on Ebay as well as shows, websites, etc.

Lebanon, OR

What does worry me is that alot not all and not you Deb send plants without knowing if in their state or country it is an invasive plant or one that is endangered. This is why so much of the USA pseudorus is now on the invasive list!

Give an example of a beautiful plant that will die if you dig in the wild and that is the beautiful lady slipper orchid, now there are growers who do from legal means such as seeds gathered and from legal means.

I am getting one from a grower locally and I have always wanted one...

D

Good luck

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I have a neighbor that cut back his hill to the National Forest edge! Bulldozers, big backhoes and all. made it flat! When, I found out what he was doing, afer they had started, I asked him if I could have the plants.
So, I busily went about climbing up and down the hill from the small valley on one side, up and over to the small valley on the other removing what I could.
I moved 3 kinds of orchids as well as many other plants to our house. They have been growing and blooming happily ever since.
There is one small place beside our new house that is shaded. around 10'. Last year I moved several there. they were growing well this past fall, one bloomed...a showy orchis. At first I was very unsure if they would actually grow where we are moving until one day i was walking through our bit of woods there and found a lady slipper blooming!!! Not so worried now. I have been working on my little woodland garden. Min rhododendron, wild type azalea, gingers, trilliums, jacks, woodland sedge, woodland stronecrop, bleeding hearts, dutchman's breeches, shooting stars....so on... Have dragged small logs from the woods and leaf muclh. It did well last year...I can hardly wait until this spring!
I would NEVER send anything that I thought was too invasive and try to check the state lists. No matter how much someone wanted kudzu and no matter how much they would say it is ok there, I would never ship it. It belongs nowhere.

At one point I was the Dir. of Environmental Ed. at a park near here. Worked with the Wild Turkey Fed. for planting a field for wildlife. They wanted to put in a type of grass that I felt was too invasive with not near the good use that it was touted to have. Got it eliminated from the seed mix and replaced with a better one.
really loved that job. Wish i could have stayed there!
deb

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Not iris but I was part of a group that tried ordering bulbs from England w/o the phyto cert (yup, trying to be slick:lol:) and the package was held up here in the US and destroyed. I can also attest that the person who ordered the bulbs was visited at her home by Homeland Security and given a stern warning.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

OUCH!!!! I received sedum/stonecrop/sempervivums/a few bulbs 3 pkgs were from Germany and 1 from England but there was only 1 plant in two of them, 2 in one, and 6 small bulbs in the other. No problems there. Maybe a larger pkg. gets their interest up! Wonder if her her pkg was labeled "plants' or "perishable" on the outside? Would be interesting to know.

Bristol, United Kingdom

Irisloverdee, I read that you deal with the UK and I know that we dont need import licence for "domestic" use, by which I guess they mean "personal". I have heard that plants can go astray even with the correct paperwork. Have you had this problem? I ask because I fell in love with some Mid Western Irises and would like to get them from US as they are not available in UK.
G

Lebanon, OR

never haq a problem to the UK the only problems have been Russia and France
d

Bristol, United Kingdom

Thank you for your prompt reply D, I forgot to mention Im a new subscriber from the UK and should say HI to everyone. Please excuse my bad manners.
I am really envious of the stunning irises available in the US now. I might just scramble $250 to order some, its just a lot to lose if the parcel goes astray.

Lebanon, OR

Welcome to DG

This message was edited Jan 12, 2011 3:18 PM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Welcome to DG, Grigio!

I would try it. Bearded irises hold up pretty well for quite some time.

This has nothing to do with irises, but my husband ships light bars overseas, and has sent them to the UK with no problems at all. Not so with some other countries, where they are held up forever.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.