Iris Seed Germinating

Pleasant Grove, UT

Started potting up my iris seed yesterday. Was excited that quite a few crosses had started to germinate. Seed had been in the frig since mid October in damp paper towels in plastic bags. Will grow seed on til spring under grolux lights. I made far more crosses than I should have. If I have a high percentage of germination I will be in trouble when it is time to line them out. Oh well, I'll deal with that next spring. Now I hope they all germinate. They are something to watch til spring starts to break. What ever my wife and I do it always seems like if a little of something is good, more is better. I guess we are obsessive compulsive when it comes to our hobbies. Will you be growing some from seed?

Paul2063,
Congrats on your sprouting seeds. Yes, I started Iris seeds last year and this year I started seeds from my own named crosses. I do it different than you with almost 100% germination.

I soak seeds in handhot water over night, then allow to cool. To mimic nature, they need to remain in water for at least 3 weeks, changing the water daily. This soaking and rinsing tratment is to remove the seed germination inhibitor present in the seed or seed coat. Outdoors,the fall rains and meltig snow in winter do the same thing over a 3 to 4 month period.

After the 3 weeks soaking, I sow seeds in pre-moistened potting soil 1/2" deep in a container. I use Walmart plastic shoe boxes with cover. I cover the container and leave the box on the north side of my house all winter. Iris seeds usually begins to germinate at 50 degrees. Last year I brought the box inside in March to speed germination and placed it under lights. They began to germinate in April. As they sprout, I replant in 6-packs, then in 3" pots. When all danger of frost is past---end of May in my zone--they continue to grow and winter over in my coldframe.

Below are my adorable Iris babies May 11, a few weeks before replanting in my coldframe.

Thumbnail by

The same seedling in August 2010 now husky plants.

Thumbnail by

One of the seedlings producing shoots by October 9, 2010. I am hoping that it will send a maiden bloom next summer.

Thumbnail by
Pleasant Grove, UT

My wife grew up in Kemmerer . Really cold there. Wonder,is Casper a little warmer? The seedlings in the August picture look large enough for bloom next year. Will some? Whats has been your best cross?

Winnsboro, TX

You guys are making me want to attempt to make some crosses. LOL I'll have to get a pro to show me EXACTLY what to do. I don't know what I'll do with them if I do after reading all the posts about all the culls I would produce. I hate throwing any plant away, so that part would be very difficult for me. (frown)
Good Luck with all the seedlings. I have some that a kind soul on here sent me to start and play with over the winter months. I put them in the little PVC pipes and I'm trying to grow them that way.

Lebanon, OR

If you come out to OR this year and the iris are in bloom I can show you and I am no expert but do crosses.

Mine were planted in late November this year which is not what I normally do but with the surgery had no chose, nothing has germinated yet but they will. I have pots from the year before and many of them have started to germinate one year later. Alot of beardless but more and more bearded.

I was told by several of the bigger hybridizers not to throw away your pots if you have room for 3 years. Glad I listened as I do with those guys.

D

Hi Dee, Glad you are recovering. I too had surgery early spring which really set me back.

Anyway, you know from another post (if you remember) that I had a problem putting the pollen in the right spot so lost many chances. By the time I figured it out, the Irises I wanted to use was past. I forgot that pollen can be saved. Also discovered that I had to make crosses early in the morning before going to work.

Glad to report that those pods (from summer 2009) produced more seeds than I had space for this year. One pot produced more than 30 seeds in a large pod. That cross was Lacy Snowflake x Can Can Red. Another cross was Buffawn x Joyce Terry. Both, I believe historic. Those crosses were planted in a plastic shoebox, as I explained above. This past spring I was in a hurry for them to sprout so brought a box in April 28. and placed it under plant lights. Surprisingly, they began to sprout May 3. These are the plants that are now in my coldframe. I belive they sprouted so quickly because they got a long dose of flunctuating Wyoming freezing weather.

lovelyiris, I finally figured out how to do it by Google the information. There are some very good ones that illustrate the process.

Below are the seeds produced by pod parent Lacy Snowflake.

This message was edited Dec 19, 2010 10:58 AM

Thumbnail by

Paul2063 Not familiar with Kemmerer. Casper can get -30 degrees in night temp during dead of winter a few times. It don't stay that cold and don't happen very often.

Winnsboro, TX

Thanks Blomma, you would be surprised at how many times I've googled everything to do with irises and daylilies. Last year or year before last I tried to make some daylily crosses. I had fun playing and dapping pollen and I thought I was really doing something. At the time I just thought I could get pollen from one pretty plant and dap it on another and wal-la I'd get a bunch of seed pods. Yeah Right!!! I had no ideal I had to do tets to tets and dips to dips. The only true dip I have around here is ME. LOL Needless to say I didn't get any crosses or seed pods that year except for the ones the bees made for me. Thank God for mother nature being able to take care of herself and not have to put up with some big dummy like me trying to make better flowers and plants.

I'm going to play with the irises and daylilies again this spring. Hopefully I'll have plenty of seeds to play with this time next winter.

May your days be Merry and Bright and may your seedlings all be a wonderful delight.
God Bless one and all,
Marian

My new batch of iris seedling growing under light.Photo taken today Dec. 19, 10.

These iris seedlings came from seeds I had put in my fridge as an experiment to see which was better to sow outdoors in a box, or using the Deno method. I had surgery in March and forgot all about them. Came across the plastic bag of seeds in October and they had started to sprout. They are Buffawn x Joyce Terry. I ofcourse potted them up.

The result of the experiment is that sowing the seeds in a box and leaving them outdoors all winter is a quicker way to get them to sprout. These were placed in the fridge the same day the others were planted and left outdoors---5 months difference.

Edited to add that I trim the leaves down a bit when they touch the light.

This message was edited Dec 19, 2010 6:53 PM

Thumbnail by
Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Paul, it sounds as if you iris seed germinated in the fridge? What species were they?

Pleasant Grove, UT

They started germinating in the frig.....Many seeds have a small root showing. Most are TBs, the rest assorted .medians. Some crosses germinating sooner although they all went into frig at the same time. It may be a blessing if I don't get a large percentage because I don't have unlimited area to grow them..

Winnsboro, TX

Thanks Blomma, I'll be checking out all of the above websites and links in the next few days. I'm just finishing up all the Christmas parties at Church, our Iris Society, and a few others. I only have one more Christmas gathering and that will be December the 26. It will be the first time in over 15 years that I have both my children here for Christmas along with the grandchildren. This is the most wonderful time of the year as the song says. However I'll be very grateful when it's over with this year. I'm worn to a frazzle and my get up and go has got up and left.

Here's wishing all of you a very Blessed Christmas. May the coming days be filled with Peace, Love, and Joy in abundance dear friends.

Marian

Hej Marian: I too will have 3 of my kids with grandkids here for Christmas. One from Nebraska, the other on his way from Arizona. My daughter lives here so have her all the time.

You too have a great and Blessed Christmas.

Lilly

Lebanon, OR

Our tradition started when the kids where really first born and now the kids (grown) they mates and the grandkids follow the same tradition by THEIR CHOICE, on Christmas eve they have their own family get together and then about 8PM they start arriving here at grams house, presents, dogs, kids, mates, and grandkids. Presents go under the tree, then we start with drinks (pop) games, cookies, candies, chips, then about midnight we all settle down for a SHORT sleep, then about 6-7AM one of the kids wake us up, get coffee and start Santa (honey) handing out the gifts. Now in the past there were tooooooooooooo many gifts but this year since the grand kids ages are 17,20,21,13 there is not as many gifts under the tree but more cards, then I come into the kitchen and fix a tradition breakfast which they will not allow changed of biscuits and sausage gravy and hashbrowns, then we get the ham on and play more games, continue cooking and laughter setting the tables which means some rearranging of the furniture finally dinner for 10 to 12 people (the family is 10 but if someone has no where to go that someone in the family knows they are welcome here as well) eat drink sparkling cider and be merry, dishes, then everyone packs up and heads home and I DIE...

The RV will be packed with the girls all ages the living room packed with guys all ages and the one bedroom with the couples

This has happened for 44 years and only missed while son was in the military or the one year he was married to the ex wife.
D

Vail, AZ

Glad to hear some different experience on germination. I soaked my seeds for 2 weeks then I planted them in 4 inch long 1 inch diameter pvc pipe (someone on DG sugestion). I then refrigerated them fo 5 weeks, untill it cooled out side. They've been outside for about a month. I have 5 sprouts so far out of 95 planted. The highs have been up to 80 and the lows into the 40's. Here is one of my seedlings from a couple of years ago.

Thumbnail by redheadclan
Vail, AZ

What do y'all think of this one. It's a cross between Rustler and Tiger Honey. I'm trying to decide if it's good enough to introduce. I know I will introduce the previous one.

Thumbnail by redheadclan

redheadclan,
They are both beautiful. I like the first one the best. Coloration is different. What did you use as crosses on that one?

I'm hoping my first batch of seedlings (2009) will bloom this year. I just know the pod parent since it was bee pollinated.

This past summer I did the crosses. They are planted outdoors in box of soil to germinate in the spring.

Below is the pod parent Buffawn (Andrew '40)

Thumbnail by

D,
Sounds like a lot of fun at your house during Christmas. Family company is great to have, but also nice when they leave. You can have too much of a good thing, especially as we get older.

Merry Christmas

Vail, AZ

The first one is Jump for Joy X Secret Melody.

Vail, AZ

Of course my best one is also from Rustler X Tiger Honey.

Thumbnail by redheadclan
Winnsboro, TX

Dee, What a wonderful tradition for everyone to meet up at your house. What fun it must be staying up late visiting with family members playing games and just having an all around good time. I bet the love the good ole' breakfast fest you fix them too.

Blomma, I need to spank you for giving me all those links to making cross and hybridizing irises. I've only clicked on the last one that you said was the best and I couldn't stop until I read it all. Very interesting and very informative site. Now I'm 99.9% sure I'll be attempting to make some crosses this spring provided it doesn't get to hot here. I just can't take the heat like I once could. I've got seeds in the 4 inch PVC pipes too. I can't wait to see what I get thanks to a couple of friends sharing some of their seeds with me. Thank you again!

Red, those are all Lovelyirises (now you see where I got my nick name lol) I've never seen an Iris that I didn't think was lovely except for the old white cemetery irises. They are lovely in their own way, I just prefer the newer fancier irises. LOL

The last one reminds me of some of Barry Blyth's irises which I dearly love. Thank you for posting the photos. They are all Lovely!

I've got to get off here and do a few things outside while the weather is so nice. Our crazy weather here in Texas, it's in the 70's again here today. If you don't like the weather here, stick around a day or two and it will change. LOL

Wishing all of you the very best that life has to offer.
Love Marian

Pleasant Grove, UT

I like all 3 of your seedlings. Tiger Honey is a Kaperak iris from friends Brad and Kathy. Rustler which I also grow is out of another Utah iris Dazzling Gold from the late Dee Anderson , a good friend. Great genes....Rustler is a good color for artistic designs. I won best design with it in a piece of wood in a 2009 UIS show.

Vail, AZ

I met the Kaspareks at the Phoenix trek in 2009. A real character. I like his stuff. I have quite a few of his irises, including Kickapoo Kangaroo, what great color.

Pleasant Grove, UT

Kasperaks are fun to know. I grow a number of their TBs and medians and used them in some crosses this year. Got their Orangutan Orange as gift last year. It didn't bloom but made 6 large healthy increases which should bloom this year. I may use it.

Marian,
You are welcome. I have to infect someone with my addiction, LOL!

Winnsboro, TX

That's ok Blomma, but you see I already have the iris bug, daylily bug, canna bug, elephant ear bug, bromeliad bug, and several others. I have more gardens and flowerbeds than I can possible keep up with. and I'm fairly certain that I would never throw any of the crosses I made away since I have plenty of room on this old farm to plant them. If they couldn't fend for themselves they probably wouldn't make it after the first few months of me taking care of them and watering them. When it gets over 100 here I try to stay in the house. LOL I"m a woose (sp) when it comes to both heat and cold.

Marian

Lebanon, OR

boo hoo I can not seem to get cannas to grow here on the farm yet they are all over around me...do not know what I am doing wrong.

Winnsboro, TX

Dee I have a bunch of different ones and I could share some with you. Here in Texas we can leave them in the ground. I know for a fact that in the colder areas they dig them each year. I'm sorry as much as I enjoy them there is no way I'd dig them every year and replant them. I guess we're spoiled here about a few of our plants and not having to worry about them freezing completely back and dying off. I find that once I get them going good I can't kill them even if I dig them up and transplant them somewhere else. I always have a few that come up from the area I tried to removed them from. I have a bed of them that run the opposite way of the iris beds out back. So when the irises are through blooming the canna's are just starting to grow good and in a couple of weeks they completely block off the view from the house to the Iris Beds. Of course I love the canna's, bromeliads,elephant years, and banana trees because they make everything look so tropical. If I'm able to come to Oregon this spring and see your IRISES in bloom I'll try to remember and bring a few different cannas to share with you. I love the Tropicanna Gold, it has the big green and yellow striped leaves and Tropicanna Black with the red/orange/yellowish leaves that are so bright and colorful here in Texas. I have a bunch other cannas but those are my favorites for their foilage. Just let me know.

Love Ya, Marian

Winnsboro, TX

Ok folks, I want to know how your seedlings are growing. Post some more photos or a least tell us about them.
Marian

Hi Marian,
My seedlings are doing great growing under lights. I trim back the leaves when they reach the light bulb.

Here they are taken today. I forgot the seeds in the fridge. I put the seeds in there to test them. I had surgery in March and forgot about the seeds. Found them in in Oct 2010 sprouting so potted them. The testing was is it quicker to place the seeds outside in a box all winter, compared to the fridge in moist kitchen towel. Result: in box outside is quicker since they sprouted in May 2010.

Thumbnail by
Vail, AZ

I had mine in the refridgerator for 6 weeks, then I put them outside when it got colder. Now I have them in the house and a couple are sprouting every day.

Thumbnail by redheadclan
Lebanon, OR

No seeds germinated yet for 2010 seeds but about 30-35 pots full of seeds from 2009 have germinated.

D

Marian, yes I would love to have some canna's if you get to come out here in 2011

D

Winnsboro, TX

Ok, I'll bring you some if I'm able to make the trip. Thanks for the update everyone. Ya'lls seedlings are looking good and seem to be coming right up.
Marian

Pleasant Grove, UT

Its becoming more apparent all the time that I made far to many crosses. My shelves with gro-lights are full so will put some in south and east windows. Haven't planted my median crosses yet. It would probably be a blessing if only part of the seeds germinate. If I get a high germination rate I will be hurting for room to plant them out next spring. On the other hand if I had only made a few crosses and didn't have good germination I would be disappointed. We'll see. Happy New Year all.

Winnsboro, TX

If too many germinate you can send them to me. I have plenty of land to plant them LOL I have about 30 acres left to plant. The horses meadow just become smaller and smaller each year with all my plantings.
Marian

Marian, I envy you. Boy, what I could do with 30 acres. Daylilies and Irises from one end---------------to the other. Sigh!
Lilly

Winnsboro, TX

LOL Blomma having plenty of land is not it's all cracked up to be. The more land you have the more trouble you can get into when it comes to plants. I keep finding more plants I want and of course that means more flowerbeds. It's a vicious cycle because more flowerbeds means more weeding, more watering, more deadheading, more upkeep, so forth and so on. So you see it's really not that wonderful to have more land. I do surround myself with Irises, Daylilies and tons of bulbs. I do have over 500 different irises and over 500 different daylilies. Most of them I keep the little cemetery makers indicating what name the plant is. However I do have a bunch of both irises and daylilies planted throughout the gardens that I didn't mark simply cause I didn't want the signs in those flowerbeds. (grin)

I started growing Irises when I was much younger. I got my first ones from family members. I can still remember to this day the sight I'd see at a Great Aunts house we went to each year for Easter when I was just a little child. She had huge long rows of 3 different irises. Yellow irises in a bed about 4 ft wide outlined her entire driveway which was out in the country. The fence all the way around her backyard was outlined in purple irises about 4 ft. wide. Then she had a bunch of beautiful orange Irises around the well and the smoke house. Of course my mother and grandmother had Irises too but they didn't stand out in my mind like my Great Aunt's.

Ok, enough rattling. It's half way decent outside and I've got somethings I need to get done before it turns off cold again tomorrow. Happy Gardening, and here's to dreaming about beautiful blooms this Spring!
Marian

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.