Garden Art, PART 4

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Part 3 is here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1141636/

Putting up this thread for anyone who wants to continue to post, share ideas, pictures of projects, links, anything. We're here.

This message was edited Dec 18, 2010 2:49 PM

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

***Dollar Tree alert!!!***

If you have a Dollar Tree store near you, I was there earlier today and they have some nice plates, bowls, etc. as well as some nice clear glass dishes ... all $1 each. Perfect for adding to stacks. ^_^

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Still deciding on a head. Found a couple of others I like really well. I am picky about this because I've waited so long and they ain't cheap. ;-)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Here's the other one.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Speaking of heads, I got out a few of the "girls". These vintage lady headvases I've collected are all planters. I have quite a few more still packed away. I've decided I'm going to plant them with some of the plants I've gotten or am getting from DGers in the plant swaps. Having a lot of fun with those!! Sandi, gonna put a couple of your tillandsias in one. Perhaps I'll name each "lady" in honor of the DGer that sent the plant I've put it in. I knew I must have collected them for some reason. My DH will be happy to finally find out what it is. ;-)

This has nothing to do with yard art ... but I'm inspired.

^_^

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Great job Carole on the dishes... but really love those heads !!! How, oh how do you chose? Those little lady planters are probably worth something, huh ? Are you sure you want to put something in them after all these years ? ;-)

Marks, MS(Zone 7b)

Where have you found your head planters? I have been wanting some for soooo long now! The only place I have ever found any is on ebay, and they seemed just WAYYYYY too exspensive to me!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

If I had a koi pond, I'd make the dish flower up top into a floating flower. ;-)

You are right, Bonnie, the HVs do have value. I've sold some before, but they aren't as valuable or popular now as they once were. I will put potted plants in these probably rather than planting directly in them. I can tell some have been planted before though. I'm having the same situation with the spice cabinet I just got at GW. Sometimes my junking and antiquing conflict with each other! LOL.

Maybe if I keep delaying my head decision, they'll go on sale. Ha! They are expensive, Lisa, at least these are ... and they are concrete to boot so shipping at 35 lbs each ... Ugh! There's a long story from when I lived in CA about why I don't have one. The ones above are on Amazon. Sandra had posted a link to another place that makes them. I think it's in thread 2, maybe.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Here's another conflict. I bought this old funnel for .25 at an estate sale and was going to plant the Euphorbia obesa in it. But it's such a beautiful old piece of bakelite that I can't bring myself to do it. :-D

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

That little thing of bakelite is worth $$$$ i couldnt put dirt in it either ...LOL nice piece,nice E O too

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

That is funny Carole. Years ago I bought an antique pedal buggy to put in the garden to put pots of plants on, etc. when my neighbor told me there is no way I can do that with an antique. So, it has been moved millions of times around the house so it is out of the weather - but doing absolutely n o t h i n g ! I really need to get rid of it. Not practical for me to have something that large, doing nothing around here. lol.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

LOL. Mine was an antique wicker doll buggy. Took up so much room! It was going on the front porch to hold some ferns but that porch was only screened in so rain and snow could blow right it, not to mention oodles of dust (which mixed with rain or snow became mud). The buggy finally went to auction. :)

I do use some antique things for plants though.

Marks, MS(Zone 7b)

ok..now youve got me curious lol....what is the long story as to why you didnt have one in CA? Sorry I havent been on much. It has been a busy season. Friday my christmas present was tickets to go see trans siberian orchestra in memphis. Had lots of fun! Today, I took in a stray cat thats been sleeping on my porch swing. My other cat isnt too happy about that, but, trying to clean up cat and make her cumfy! If I dont get on here much in the next week, I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas season, and get all the cool presents that you are wishing for! By the way, what are your christmas wishes?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

LOL. Basically, I saw one in a c&s book years ago. Searched and searched to find one to replicate the picture (you can usually find anything in CA) and never did. We moved a lot as DH was promoted in his job so didn't want to lug around too much heavy stuff. Anyway, to make the long story short, I never got it. Came across the book and picture again a few months ago. So now I guess it's on my "bucket list". ^_^

Your b-day gift sounds great!! My senior year in high school I won a writing competition and the prize was season tickets to the community concert series. I've loved concerts ever since ... and ballet. ^_^

LOL again ... we took in a stray last year and she doesn't like our "original" cat at all. I keep telling her she's the one-come-lately but, so far, she doesn't get that. Plucky little thing! ;-)

What's the new kitty's name?

Marks, MS(Zone 7b)

My original cat is none too happy either. But, I think if I give it time he might be ok. I think I figured out why she seemed to be dropped off. I believe she is pregnant! Oh my, what did I get myself into this time. Oh well, I took her in, and Im not gonna rush her back out. Im gonna keep her unless she ends up not using the litter box or something. Anyone want any kittens? lol. I still ave not names her yet, cant seem to come up with the perfect name that seems to fit her. My mom suggested nola. Not sure if Im diggin it or not. Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by lismil
Marks, MS(Zone 7b)

the original cat. I know he looks mean here...lol...but its really just a yawn, thought it looked cute.

Thumbnail by lismil
Marks, MS(Zone 7b)

ok...sorry...not trying to change the subject from garden art here. Sometimes its hard to keep to the topic. lol

I missed the top 5 posts here ,I have no idea how ??? Carole ,i like the head with eyes open,ones with eyes closed are just a bit weird for me..LOL I have had visions of a collection of those beautiful antique head vases ,I think those are just sweet..Have you ever seen the Christmas head vases,beautiful. I have a feral cat hanging out trying to feed it,but it runs like the devil when it sees me,dont know if its staying under the shed,and the neighbors dog is probly eating most of the food,like she is hungry,she is a stinkin garbage dog,sad she will eat anything rotten,beautiful small black shepard.Your kitty looks like Rocky,he was a wonderful cat..Miss him soo much

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

The cats are beautiful, Lis and hugger. Hey, I miss posts in some threads all the time. I can't keep up with some of them at all but that's okay. It's all that reading, hugger. Ha, ha! That's why I started new ones when these got long although you almost always lose people when you start a new thread and they don't have the link. For some reason threads fall off the radar on occasion, too, but I don't know why.

I'm thinking about names for your kitty, Lisa. Or have you decided already?

Yes, the Christmas headvases are adoreable. That's funny about the eyes, h.

It's perfectly fine with me to have some side conversations and especially with winter here. We aren't out in our yards too much. Boo :( We always bring the thread back to yard art after we go down some other garden paths from time to time ^_^.

Marks, MS(Zone 7b)

hugger, your Rocky looks just like my Jinxy. Beautiful cat! I know what you mean about the dog. My neighbors just got kicked out of their house, and left behind their dog, that they never fed to begin with. I felt sorry for the poor thing, but, he has since dissapeared. For some reason this area is a place that everyone drops off all their unwanted pets. Think its because I live on the end of a dead end st. I have been trying sooo hard not to take them all in, but, for some reason, this cat was soooo sweet, I just couldnt help but take her in. I decided last night to name her Luna. quite fitting since she came just a couple days before the lunar eclipse. I thought about naming her Solstice, but, Luna was much easier to spit out lol.

Marks, MS(Zone 7b)

BTW...love all that oak in your kitchen. I am a big fan of oak...especially all the old, solid oak antique furniture.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Wow - I have never seen any of the painted head vases before - those are really neat.... I would be afraid to plant anything in them too! The concrete heads don't particularly appeal to me - which is a good thing because I have enough expensive wishes without adding to! :) I love antiques and pedal cars! I have been looking for a pedal car (or truck) to sit on my front porch,.....have a friend who has several on a porch and she doesn't live there anymore - been trying to talk her into selling me one before someone steals them!! I have been wishing lately that I knew what happened to the old hand water pump that my Daddy used to have - wouldn't it look beautiful in a flower bed??

Hope everyone has a joyous Christmas if I am not back on before then!

Genna

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, the old hand pump would look terrific in a flower bed. I have a thing for old iron pieces anyway. My grandmother had one in her kitchen ... a working one. ^_^ Maybe you will find your dad's, Genna. I've seen them set in an old oak half-barrel with a circulating pump attached and used as fountains. Luv that too.

ive had visions of an old hand pump planted in the garden too.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I AM CLOSING OUT THESE GARDEN ART THREADS for my part, so I won't be monitoring this one as I have been. If you post and don't get any response, that might be why ... not meaning to ignore anyone on purpose. Just on to other things for now. ^_^

Thank you, ALL who have contributed, for the great input, ideas, and so many inspirations! I think we'll all be busy with projects for a long time to come. I know I will be. ^_^

Cheers! Happy Junking ... and Happy Holidays!

~~♥~~

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Just a quick reminder over here that the thrift stores are taking in tons of donations this week ahead of January 1. Should be some good stuff there in the coming weeks. ^_^

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Carole let me know when it's warm enough to send plants to you. Love the "heads!"

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Sandi, thanks, that is so kind of you. The weather has been up and down like a yo-yo here lately. 9 degrees one night with a windchill of 0. Ugh! If we get a long enough period where it looks safe, I will let you know. I really appreciate it!!! Can't find them around here. ^_^

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I'll surely find something else to stuff a box with!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

You're the best. And I will reimburse you. ^_^ ^_^

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Art is pricey...love the heads...

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

You are right, girl, art IS very pricey. I found out that Tuesday Morning gets in a few head planters from time to time. They are polyresin, I think, and not concrete but they are very nice looking from the pictures I've seen. I never checked there. Who knew?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.