Blooms Revisited

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Anyone can post here, this is just for fun. Doesn't have
to be this yrs photos.
Gardener 05's Speckled Tri-lobed

Thumbnail by patootie

Becky,s gorgeous Mauve Splash in mostly white.

Thumbnail by patootie
(Zone 7a)

Gourd's Fuji Shibori with such dramatic contrasts between light and dark

Thumbnail by bluespiral
(Zone 7a)

Ron's Ipomoea pandurata - reminiscent of Orihime's coloring and night-sky presence among shadows

Thumbnail by bluespiral
(Zone 7a)

Gardener2005's double blue picoteed Kikyou - stopped a lot of hearts when I posted this one, and I sent one seed to everyone who asked, including a few back to its originator. The ones I kept have not come true. This is an example of why I think voluntary sending back of seeds to the originator is such a wonderful thing to do.

Thumbnail by bluespiral
(Zone 7a)

NOID from Emma - Casts a spell while being admired, such that the admirer decides she will never need to grow another MG - it's that beautiful to me

Thumbnail by bluespiral
(Zone 7a)

Becky's mutant maple-willow - The 'plain', fertile type showed up without the non-fertile fancy type; but all the better for the water theme of simple, wild-ish flowers making the waterlily 'Daubiana' (spelling?) at home in its tiny microcosm of a larger pond seen only in the imagination. Such a power house of blue, for such a tiny morning glory.

Will post the Dauben water lily next to give an idea of how all the celebrants associated with each other.

Thumbnail by bluespiral
(Zone 7a)

In the above post, you can see a pretty echo of pale fuchsia-pink in both the entrance to the ivory throat of Becky's maple-willow, mutant Ipomoea nil and the leaf edges of the neighboring Ipomoea batatas tricolor. Note the contrast between the spears of Black Gamecock iris leaves and horizontally flowing morning glory vines and water.

Nymphea daubiana (apologies for any spelling issues)

karen

Thumbnail by bluespiral
(Zone 7a)

Gerris2's Star of India (via PamSue) - This one's a keeper. I loved the way the neighboring Shasta daisy echoed the white of SOI's picotee edge, while at the same time contrasting with SOI's blue with its gold center. Blue is echoed from SOI's limb to the nearby Platycodon, after which Kikyou-shaped MGs are named. Platycodon, also known as the Chinese Bell Flower, originally was grown in Asia for its medicinal attributes.

But back to Star of India - out of all the MGs I grew in 2007, this one was the earliest to bloom, which is nice to know for folks with short growing seasons in the north - worth crossing at least for that quality to come up with more shorter-season MGs. Gourd has been making some interesting crosses with SOI.

Thumbnail by bluespiral
(Zone 7a)

Patootie's Fuji Hot Pink - In a more difficult year, this was the earliest to bloom; so northern gardeners take note of this one, too. It was also the most dependable and prolific bloomer that year, and the bright, hot pink seemed the most intense of all Ipomoea youjiro 'Yagurama' seedlings I have grown in the few years I've been growing MGs. Imho, this is another one to cross, if only for the foregoing qualities, with fussier, but perhaps fancier, MGs.

karen

Thumbnail by bluespiral
(Zone 7a)

PamSue's Blue Silk - as fascinating as it is mesmerizingly lovely. In my garden, Blue Silk produced two types of flowers and two colors of seeds, described below -

The flower that produced the dark seeds had more blue relative to the white, which Ron said looks like Nichinou's Sazanami here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=2898855 . Keep in mind that MGs labeled Sazanami will look different from each other, depending upon their source. The flower from my garden that resembles this one is posted below.

The flower that produced the light seeds had less blue relative to the white, and looks like the flower ron_convolvulaceae described as "[looking] like the dilute color visible on the Akatsuki no Tsyuyu/Blue Silk" here - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=3987067 - scroll above to get more context on this quote from Ron. I'll post the photo of Blue Silk from my garden similar to this one next.

I have not yet grown out a second generation to see if these flowers will continue producing both colors of seed and types of flowers. Does anyone know?

Blue Silk offspring with more blue relative to white that produced dark seeds -

Thumbnail by bluespiral
(Zone 7a)

Blue Silk offspring with less blue relative to white that produced light seeds, as described in the previous post -

Thumbnail by bluespiral
(Zone 7a)

Luvsgrtdanes' Ipomoea setosa - The upfacing flowers produced an elegant candelabra effect in my garden, which was quite a contrast to the thuggy-looking spines up and down the stems. Previously named Ipomoea horrida, it's fun to imagine a monster version of what grew in my Maryland garden soaring up a rainforest canopy in a Brazilian jungle. The spines, however, are soft as a kitten, without the pur.

karen

Thumbnail by bluespiral
(Zone 7a)

ByndeweedBeth's Ipomoea purpurea 'Sunrise Serenade' - my first hige, and every bit as magical as the name led me to believe it would be. The feathers seemed to augment the sense of flight surrounding this flower.

no digital camera that year, but here is her spectacular photo - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/148328/

(Zone 7a)

LouisianaMark's Ipomoea nil 'Akatsuki no Umi' - Otherwise known as 'Sea of Dawn', this one's catnip for a lover of blue flowers. To actually be in the garden when dawn breaks over the vast, rippling blue waves of this one is making the wait for next summer unbearable.

karen

Thumbnail by bluespiral
(Zone 7a)

Eliz's Hama no Kagayaki - brilliant, solid red, prolific and tough enough to keep flowering when brought indoors into January (unlike most of the others). Unfortunately, it never left its little cup into which it was originally planted upon germination, so harvesting the single pod seemed miraculous. Hopefully, the next time I grow this one out I'll have enough to share back with Eliz. Outdoors, this vine often looked like a family of brilliant cardinals - a very satisfyingly pretty MG.

Came as Hama no Kagayaki from old seeds very kindly passed along from Twinlakeschef to Eliz to me.

no pics, so will share Onalee's, which has a red more like mine (while DG PlantFiles' pic is pinker than mine) - http://www.onaleeseeds.com/

(Zone 7a)

Shirley1md's Heian no Umi - Don't the big, plum sails of Heian no Umi look good comin' through the Autumn clematis?

(a play on Bob Dylan's "Don't the moon look good, Ma, comin through the trees? Don't the brakeman look good, Ma, flaggin' down the double E?)

sigh. At least we get to see the moon between now and the next summer solstice. sigh

karen

Thumbnail by bluespiral

Lovely blooms Karen.

(Zone 7a)

Thank you, Jackie. I owe so much to everyone that has passed through this forum.

(Zone 7a)

Kokorota's Ipomoea albivenia - A romantic, fragrant, evening-blooming moonflower that I have not yet managed to murder and very much hope to see blooming in my garden next summer. It is such an adventure to branch out beyond our usual Ipomoea nils and purpureas into some of the more unusual species of convolvulaceae, and I hope this forum will feel free to try this again in the coming new year. This one is not the more commonly grown moonflower vine (I. alba) and swells at the base of its stem, forming a caudex

no pic, soooo - http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1180481847038098426hNlZcp

karen

(Zone 7a)

Gardengirl1960's violet SunSmile - This one made the cutest little tuft with attractive variegated leaves, before finally putting out stiff, long shoots that traveled without showing any interest in twining - they just thumped over neighbors without a howdy-do. I did them a disservice by not growing them in a pretty pot. Loved the inky-dark purple of the flowers.

karen

Thumbnail by bluespiral
(Zone 7a)

Ansonfan's Ipomoea alba (moonflower vine) - Who doesn't adore this flower? In the photo below, the sun is just fading from the tree tops as it opens -

Thumbnail by bluespiral
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

This said anyone can post, and just for fun right? Then you won't be mad at me if I have no idea what the heck im posting???
These are from 2008....not many MG's grown in 2009 or 2010 , had 2 daughters get married both in Sept. less then a year apart. My gardens suffered terribly :(

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

# 2

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

# 3

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

# 4

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

# 5

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

# 6

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

# 7 Last one

Thumbnail by pixie62560
(Zone 7a)

Welcome, Pixie - thank you for bringing more morning glory photos to brighten our morning. And I loved the stories that you brought with them.

I'm not aware of any rules on this forum that proper ID has to be used - it's only done to be helpful with identification, but not to interfere with enjoying morning glories.

We all enjoy morning glories in our different ways, and my wish is for as many different ways to celebrate this flower as possible find room here.

So I hope folks will share as many as they can, along with anything about the flower they loved - or not - it's all good.

Karen

If the following link ever goes bad, the subject can be googled by -
-- type Barker + white bindweed into the search box of www.google.com

For now, here's a link to Cicely Barker's White bindweed Fairy from her book about wayside fairies - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390266396766

Great blooms Pixie. So happy you and Karen have shared pics with us..
Hate it when the pics dry up this time of yr.

A lovely Lav Saz

Thumbnail by patootie
(Zone 7a)

Very pretty lav Saz, Jackie - luv the way you have it framed in a bounty of twining leaves and weathered boards. It reminds me of another masterpiece featuring some kind of convolvulus species that is a late 20th century version of Barker's I posted just before this one. Like your pic, the framing is wild and free -

Josephine Wall, An Even Smaller World
source: http://www.alwaysfree.nl/Fantasy/Josephine_Wall_01/slides/An_Even_Smaller_World.html

karen

Pixie - looking forward to your visiting here more often

Thanks Karen

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks Karen & Patootie!

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Some beautiful blooms y'all shared here!

Pixie - Your striped blooms look like Purple/Blue Flaked I. purpureas. Always a favorite of mine!

Love your weird Saz, Jackie!

Karen - Very nice of you to post photos of different folks seeds/vines! Lovely all of them!

My favorite this year was Antoinette's "Hannablue". Cross of Hanafubuki and Blue Tie-dye.

Thumbnail by beckygardener
(Zone 7a)

Becky - wonderful combination of colors - now I can go back to lurking (kidding lol)

Thanks Becky.
A's cross was a beauty. Loved the bold, dark color.

Gautier, MS

Enjoyed all the pictures.

This will always be one of my favorite, just too bad it doesn't come true from seed.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

This one also was my rare blue tie dye.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

I loved it when Fujishibori did this, 2008 was a very good MG year for me!

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.