Wanted: Chinkapins

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

castanea pumila var. pumila

Have a friend that has been asking me for years to find some seeds and grow her some (Allegheny) chinkapins.

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Indian word for Hedgeballs Right???

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

No ,that's osage...chinkapins are member of the chestnut family.

http://forestry.about.com/od/silviculture/p/chinkapin.htm

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

I'll ask Mekos, maybe she know where to find you some. she knows about all kinds of seed. Wonder could you ask on the tree thread???
thanks for info.
I remember my Dad talking about Chinkapins.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks

Greensburg, PA

Available at Edible Landscaping and Oikos Tree Crops (has a hybrid)

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks,I'll check it out

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Chinkapins grow here but are becoming a rarity. We even have a community named after them.
I will ask some of the guys that work in the woods to be on the look out for seeds for you.
No promises though...

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

OK,thanks pod

Linden, TX(Zone 8a)

Last year, I took on the mission of reviving the chinkapin on my place. Trees used to be everywhere but have all disappeared. I've discovered one chinkapin which is a resprout from a trunk and then two young trees that have grown from seeds. According to our soil conservation man and a botanist, the trees were wiped out by the blight, and anything that I plant will be wiped out about the time it is old enough to produce. I am more optimist. I have 4 trees going now (two 3year old and I just planted two more that I potted up in the spring.) I'm not having very good luck at collectin the seeds. Squirrels seem to beat me to them.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Well,good luck with your efforts to revive them in your area. The blights probably the reason seeds/nuts are so hard to find.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.