Manatees at Blue Springs State Park in Florida

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Its so darn cold now in Florida that nearly 300 manatees are sheltering in the springs. We went to see them on Sat. Basically wall to wall manatees.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Lots of mothers and their calves that are still nursing.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

They are used to people and are very curious.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Some were sleeping on their backs. Look closely and you will see residual "toenails" at the very end of the flipper: The legacy of their land mammal ancestor

This message was edited Dec 16, 2010 1:29 PM

Thumbnail by bsharf
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

very cool! let's hope we don't have a repeat of last year and these guys warm up fast. too many died last year from the cold and we can't afford to lose so many.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

very neat!

PERTH, Australia

Lovely photos of these beautiful, gentle animals. It's hard for me to associate Florida with the cold. I hope they can see it through.

Port Elizabeth, South Africa(Zone 10a)

What a treat - thanks

Sandusky, OH

Very Nice! So glad they have the springs to shelter in!

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I adore manatees!

Thumbnail by melvatoo
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i heard the other day on tv that we've lost over 700 this year from cold....sigh.

hi melva!

Port St Lucie, FL(Zone 10a)

I hope that the manatees in the St Lucie River are able to find cover and survive the cold. I look forward to seeing them as I boat on the river. At our dock on the river, there is a Barred owl who hangs out waiting for some fish scraps. We cooperate. A small fish had only been on the ground for 30 seconds before the owl swooped down to take it up to a palm.

Thumbnail by JPtropic
Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

700!? Yikes!

Crossville, TN

I used to live near the Manatee Park in Homosassa...I love these creatures...They say they are related to the Elephant. Jo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.