Winter Melon

Walton, KS

A book I recently read mentioned Winter melon as a great storage melon. However, after searching the internet for seeds I'm confused on what I need to purchase. Some websites give alternate names such Christmas melon or Santa Claus melon. Other websites list them separately. So here's my question: Are all of these melons the same thing? Or are they really three different melons? It's not as important to solve the name riddle as it is to find a storage melon. If someone can recommend a variety that grows well in Harvey County KS, please advise. Thanks!

(PS: This is my first post and only my 3rd or 4th time searching Dave's List. It may take me a day or two to figure out how to find your answers!!)

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Paulasims, if you use the wickepedia answer it's most likely what you are looking for.

Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. is a god place to look for this melon. He has so many different things in his catalog.

MaVieRose is a good one to ask about it too.

I hope this helps, and welcome to Dave's!

Sally

Walton, KS

Sally,
Baker Creek has quickly become one of our favorite catalogs. Who knows how we got on their mailing list, but we're loving it! Last week we started planning next year's garden and that's one catalog we keep close at hand. Thanks for the other suggestions, as well.
Merry Christmas!!
Paula

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Merry Christmas and Good Gardening :o)

I hope to run across you on other threads. Planning gardens is exciting!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.