Hoping you all stay nice and warm through this weekend storm

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

I woke this morning to rain and a sweet 50 degrees! Around 12pm the wind started kicking and the chill started coming! By 2pm we were having snow flurries, so Im guessing the temps were about 42 *.
At 5 pm I went out to shut up the Chicken coops and their water dishes were freezing, although the computer said we were at 34*, NOT!! Here it is at 6:00 , and thermometer says 30 on my porch!
Stay warm everyone!!!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I haven't ventured out to check the temps but have both heaters running full tilt in the greenhouse. We got flurries for much of the afternoon; a dusting on the decks but nothing accumulated in the yard.

Sally just called a bit ago from Tex.. She's got a 'puter and a plan. Surely she will warm us up once she gets on line. :)

We don't normally drain pipes or turn on heat at Maypop until after the New Year. Steve went up last week and called to report he'd be spending the day doing plumbing (

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Its 24 now and the wind chill must be in the teens. The wild birds were very busy emptying my feeders and the suet is almost gone. I'm leaving a light on in the chicken coop hoping the water doesn't freeze in there. Added more straw for floor insulation this morning. Probably have egg-cicles if I don't get them soon after they are laid tomorrow. Maybe it will be too cold for them to lay...

Laurel, I hope the plumbing wasn't too messed up. That can really cause problems. We covered our outdoor faucets, usually don't do that until January. I had forgotten to roll up one of the hoses and it was too stiff to do anything with now.

He repaired the breaks and blocked off the heating duct for now. We spend the last and first few days of the year at Maypop with family so he will muster help for repairs.

Becky, I'm surprised your chickens are laying. Do you leave "reading lights" on for them? DD says hers have stopped laying and she needs to get her lights going. Here in Atlanta we had a terrible freeze the year we bought our house and broke pipes that put hundreds of gallons of water on two floors. It took almost two years to repair the damage. We all but rebuilt the house. I redesigned the plumbing so that all exterior faucets are separately plumbed and can be drained in the event of severe freeze. We drained those pipes last week.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I have a 40 watt bulb in the coop that I turn on about 7:30 AM and leave on until 9PM giving them about 14 hours of light a day. That seems to keep them laying. Got 4 eggs from 5 hens so far today. I first used the bulb when they were young and didn't know enough to go into the coop at dark. Don't need it during the summer. Some people use led christmas (white) lights in the coop. Probably safer, but Dave hooked up a neat dimmer on mine and it has 2 plugs. I use one for a fan in summer. I think I'll put the red heat lamp in there tonight. Just leaving the light on wasn't enough to keep the water from freezing. The chickens don't really need the warmth as long as they are out of the wind. Just as hardy as wild birds.

We had burst pipes in our new house in '83, before we moved in. So the builder had to take care of it. I wish outdoor faucets could be drained.

25 degrees, but at least the sun is shining. Time for my nap!

Newborn, GA(Zone 8a)

Last night it sounded like our house and wind chimes were being pushed through the automatic car wash...and we are missing two guineas this morning. We've had flurries on and off today. I just came in from pouring boiling water in my chicken's water so they could drink. Mine are seramas and they are miniature chickens from the tropics, but thus far, I have just thrown blankets over their cages and they seem to be fine...'frost proof' gardenias seem to be going downhill in the last few weeks however.

Did you find your guineas? I've been worrying about them all day.

We have had flurries on and off throughout the day but an organizational meeting and party has us venturing out shortly in the bitter cold.

Becky, what about the GH? Everything okay out there? My temps have been great the last few weeks with our home designed, attached "greenhut". I'm going to ask DD what's going on with those lazy chickens! Maybe it's time to reassign them to the freezer. lol

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

jscruggs, I hope your guineas are OK.

Laurel, the GH is holding in the 40s. Most of what's in there should be OK, but a couple of the orchids are probably not going to make it. I've reduced my collection a lot anyway. Maybe her chickens are molting. This is the time of year they do that. Most don't lay during molt. Freezer camp might be an option if they are older and ready for the stewpot... I'm hatching next march. Would she be interested in some chicks?

I was down to fifty two last night which is as low as the greenhut has gotten. The cold room was forty, a good temperature for blooming orchids that need a cool dry spell to bloom.

Thanks for the chicken offer. She's in D.C. (actually a Maryland suburb) so it wouldn't work. I think she is at her five chicken limit. When her beautiful Black Cochin, LaMerle, started crowing she realized he should have been named Earl. He was reassigned to the freezer. She lost her young amber sex link (don't try to Google that) because of repeated egg laying difficulties. It died while laying. Then she saw a neighborhood post for two free baby bantams. The couple who acquired them realized they didn't want to be bothered a few weeks into it. Can't remember what others she has. I'd apologize for being off track on Eufaula's thread but I don't think she tires of chicken talk. Wish I could have some. One day when we are not back and forth between homes.

Has anyone been inspired to knit in this weather? I'm going looking for my needles and a hat pattern. Poor SO's head is turning blue. Anyone know how to weave hair? lol

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

NO offense at all.... I looo-000ve chicken stories but I so sad about the loss of the sweet chickies!
Believe me I have been looking for my needles and yarn! I do better with the Crochet and thread though! Been Crocheting little eyeglass cases for Christmas gifts for my office and Thrift Shop girls!
They look more like little purses though! I will line them with silk, or sati from reclaimed blouses! Gotta think green you know! Now Im looking for some really interesting glass beads for buttons on them!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Here they are open!

Wow I was just outside an hour ago and I was with out a jacket ... no prob! But NOW the temp has dropped at least 8 degrees! Wind picked up slightly and sun has dissappeared again!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Those are so classy! I'd be tempted to use cotton plaid flannel on the red ones. That way you could clean 'em and store 'em in one swell foop! I did spend a few hours knitting today but also worked. What a time luxury to sit and watch a movie and knit.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Lynn, is Paris Hilton on your Christmas list? Just wondering. I don't want to talk about what froze up here!! Mike

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

I like the flannel idea too! Could be a hit to keep the glasses lint free!

Hi there Mike! Well If Paris didnt mind having a Homemade recycled materials gift......er I meant to say a Green Materials only, Artisan Handcrafted gift, I would certainly send her one! LOL!

I had to actually run a space heater in front of the kitchen and the bath room sinks , and a clamp light beneath the back bathroom sink. thank heavens for electric blankets and those nice buckwheat filled bed buddies that you heat in the microwave! If the electricity had gone out though, I would have been frozen for sure!

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Your handy work looks fine enough for a real queen, come to think of it Paris would "trash it up" .
I'm so glad I have kept up the wood stove, at least I can have heat, and I love to put the ole tea pot on the burner, when I can find the tea pot.DW doesn't like what I do. Mike

Thumbnail by mqiq77
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Mike, I LOVE that wood stove.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Dont you know it!!! Im thinking seriously about buying a little wood burning cook stove for emergency heat and cooking and of course for the nostalgia! I found a consignment store , located in Ellijay, that sells them and other "Wonderful" Stuff! I cant wait for Digger to get back from Texas so we can go "Junkin' "!!
Heres the website:
cartecaytradingpost.net
Has anyone been there?

Eufaula, we heat with wood at Maypop. The stove is in the basement. I have wanted a wood cook stove for years in the kitchen but need to figure out what to do with the washer and dryer. Meantime, if you're thinking of buying one beware 'cause old used ones sometimes have covert cracks in the iron and needing repair as well as having the liners replaced. Not cheap.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2011 3:15 PM

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the heads up Laurel!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.