Weeping La Paz

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

These flowers are "weeping" and I don't remember ever having had that happen with a hipp. The liquid is sticky and is making a mess in the house. We are experiencing some wicked cold weather so putting them outside is not a good option. You can see the liquid in the photo, a drop in the throat of the left flower and dripping off the lower petal in the right flower.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm thinking that I heard that La Paz drips a lot of nectar. Not much to do but to put something under it that won't get stained to catch it.
Michelle

Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

My experience with the species available from the Omphalissa Subgenus, namely H.aulicum, H.cybister and H.papilio is that their flowers produce nectar in abundance. Thus, it does not surprise the slightest, that primary hybrids out of H.cybister and H.papilio, such as Jungle Star and Lima, do the same. Btw - it is a shame that no more fabulous Cybister hybrids of this lineage are being produced and the focus has shifted to pink cybister hybrids instead. Fortunately I have some "Chico" x H.papilio siblings from my own production, that did produce seeds in abundance, upon crosspollination, unlike the beforementioned commercial beauties that refuse to set seed.

Here is one "weeping" specimen, "Chico" x H.papilio

Thumbnail by haweha
Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

I wonder if there is anybody that does possess them BOTH, namely "Tango" and "LaPaz". The descriptions, as provided by Veronica Read, are suspiciously similar, and they both originate from Fred Meyer. I PREsume, that it is one clone, that it became split productionwise - through 2 or more greenfactories.
Since both are cybister hybrids they DO produce lots of nectar.

BTW: I just checked it - "Exotic Star" is a primary hybrid of H.papilio, and it produces nectar too.
On the other hand I found that all 8 flowers from my "Ambiance" were "dry" and the same applies for the 5 flowers of "Striped Panther"

"Tango" OR "La Paz" (who dares, to differentiate):

Thumbnail by haweha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.