Sneaky Neighbor Roo!!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Here he is , bottom left center, trying to sneak up on my babies!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hes really a beautiful bird , but hes is in love with.................

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

...my Cochin Bantam "Silva"!! That just will not do!! I have run him off and even BB'd him with o result, he just keeps coming back!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

I caught him a week ago and penned him up in the big empty yard! Wrong thing to do now I cant get him to go home even after I released him!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

True love - are you really going to stand in it's way?
Only kidding. She's your hen - not his! Have you called the neighbor about his Romeo?

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hes just too Handsome to put in the Freezer!
My neighbors could care less! They have 3 roosters that are free loading in my coops. I have to make sure if my birds are free ranging , all my doors to the coops are closed so the neighbor's "free birds" Do not eat my babies feed!
Look at this guy ...what do you think?? He looks to be a Maran but Im not sure! thats my Black Copper behind him! Now this roo is solid black with shiny green showing in his cape! He is also a good 2 inches taller and heavier than My BCM.

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

He has the same color legs as my FBCM, but no feathering!
Hi Tamberlin! Yep I thought about the "lovesick Blues" whenever I hear him sneakin' up from the woods!! But My sweet little Cochin Roo "Iroh" is no match for him, and hes determined to fight! So I have to Keep Iroh and Silva locked up whenever I cant watch out for them!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
(Zone 6b)

He is a gorgeous bird. I love the green in the black feathers. I've seen that sheen in my silkies and it's absolutely gorgeous!

1.Sounds like you could keep him around and set him up with some ladies of his own if you can figure out his breed.
2. Find him a new home
3. Just let this continue. It's a chicken romance with pictures, love it!

Eufaula you should write books. What a sense of humor and ability to express yourself! This would make an awesome children's book.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

ain't love grand ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

We've had a love disaster here too. My newest barn cat who I just paid to have spayed took off with her own Romeo. He was hanging around just before she had her surgery. I saw him come at dusk and her leave off with him. They disappeared together into the woods and she has never returned. It's been about a week now. I hope no wild animal got her. I guess she was smitten. :)

Ferndale, WA

Eufaula, he definitely has the look and colors of a BCM/ They are beautiful and most often very gentle birds. I love the pic's and yes the story line is great. That is so typical of us guy's just lock us up once and you can't get rid of us...LOL...Hay

No feathering on the legs just means he is an american standard as opposed to the British standard.

This message was edited Dec 12, 2010 11:13 AM

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Wellllllllllllll now!! If there is a chance that he might be a Black Maran, and I catch him again , there just may be another roo on the farm!! ...BUT not in the Cochin Coop! Gee Willikers , cant you just see that cross!!!!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

LFJ, thank You ! If I knew exactly how to go about writing childrens books I would surely do it! Teaching them a fun way to get interested in chickens would be my ideal retirement job!!!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

I'll illustrate for you! I have a rescue chicken who could make a good story....
:)

Ferndale, WA

Eufaula, I'll be your cheerleader.

Let's see now.....She's a banty cochin...He's a BCM...hmmm...I wonder if that could lead to the Dolly Parton Look...hmmm...Hay

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I say if you don't want him there catch him and make him dinner. That was my first thought as soon as I read this post. I have been reading the posts lately but not always adding my two cents LOL!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Dolly Parton with stilt legs and snowshoes!!!

Tamberlin, between my photos and your art work , I think we could get something done!!

Rita... we always need your 2 cents!!!!!!

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

I have Roosters too, too many but I gave up killing chickens a long time ago.
Google up "writting for children's books" Maybe you will find something.
Good Luck.
Charleen

(Zone 6b)

Eufaula you need to keep that little roo around. He gets around and somehow does not get eaten. Maybe he can teach the other chickens his tricks.

More than likely he roosts high in the trees.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

I will offer a test subject for your books Billy Bob he is learning to read and has a wonderful childrens story someone sent him awhile back and he just loves me to read it... I can recite the book word for word...

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

GRRrrrrrrrrrr! Well that Sneaky dang roo has a plan!! Not only has he been trying his darndest to get to my Blue Cochin Hen, he has succeeded in killing my newly matured "Spanky" Frizzle Roo! He has also lured almost 1/3 of my laying hens , who free range, and my French Black Copper Maran Roo has now dissappeared! Im ready to just give up!
This "blankity Blank" roo comes over and I run it off with the BB gun , sometimes as much as 10 times a day! My next step is definitely looking for a .22 rifle!
My little "Spanky" was just a whim but I wanted to show him at least once! Im just sick!
I also seem to have a varmit with teeth too! No matter how I seal up the Hen House, it still finds a way in! Would you believe it has even pulled the tin away from the back of the nesting area!!
I hate Guns but A Gun seems to be My only way out of this Horror!!!
My precious Seramas and Cochins are locked tight in their small pens, Im terrified to let them out at all!
I have just got to find me someone who has a lot of carpentry skills too!

Richmond, TX

Oh I'm so sorry, poor Spanky! Could dogs be the toothed felons? I like hot wire to keep predators away but a good tight coop is a must too.

I'm sorry for your losses. Yep, I'd get rid of that rascal. Can you "sic" a dog on him??? Too bad his owners don't take better care of him and you have to suffer. I was thinking an elec. fence too.Would it work???
This is Louie, he didn't like the snow. He is up on a milkcrate.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Richmond, TX

Louie is most handsome!

Thank you.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

My little Chihuahua runs the heck out of that Rooster, but at night he wouldnt be much help against a critter with big teeth!
Awww RRR, Louie is sooo sweet!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

oh noooooooo!!!! I am so sorry Eufaula
Yep it sounds like it is time for chicken stew

Ferndale, WA

Eufaula: IF it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all. I'm so sorry about spanky he was so cute. I would at least get a pellet gun, if you don't like guns I understand but at least a pellet gun would kill any small predator and leave a deep impression on any large animal. I sure wished I was close Eufaula I would come on over and we would secure that coop real good and than dare any varmit to try and get in...Riping tin away sounds more like racoons than dogs to me...Sure wish there was some way I could help you...Hay

Can't you set some kind of traps out to catch them??? I wish I could help too. There has got to be something. Yep, Chicken stew for that one for sure!!!!!
Thank you Dear...Louie is a sweetie.

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well Roos will be Roos LOL!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Oh thank You everyone! Just being able to vent and cry on your shoulders does help a lot! Being a single older woman living alone really pushes my limits sometimes! I do not have any male members of my family living close at all, and financially,....well lets just say hiring someone to help out is null and void!
Thanks Haystack, I know you and so many of the others here would be more than willing to help me out with this problem. I would do so for you all also!
As for the pellet gun... I have one that shoots BB's and pellets. At first the rooster would jump and run when I hit him, now its as if they just bounce off him and he doesnt even speed his pace to get away .
Yes Im sure the critter or critters are either raccoons or possums.The carcasses that I find always have the telltale signs, no head and no viscera! The ones that are a mystery are the chickens( full grown 7to8 pound) layers that are just dissappearing! I just cant figure out what could carry off that big a hen or rooster, without narry a sign or feather lost???? All 4 of my Rhode island red hens ( just a laying age) gone! I have the Roo left.
5 of 6 of my Wyandotte orp cross Hens ( laying age) gone, I still have the 6 Roos. 1 buff orp Hen gone..... Do you see the trend here? Some one at work even suggested that the sudden dissapearance of just Hens that size could be the work of a human theif! Now THAT is a scary thought!

(Zone 6b)

That does sound suspicious doesn't it?

Eufaula you seem like such a special person, I'm so sorry you are having these problems. Surely things will improve soon.

Coyotes or foxes, it sounds like to me. Hit and run...

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

not a trace of a feather sounds like coyote to me too. My goose disappeared with no signs either. Yesterday about 1 hr before dark hubbie just happened to look out the front door and there were 2 coyotes at the pond. He has the shot gun sitting by the door. Shooting one probably won't happen since they saw me in the dining room windows and took off. He still went out down the back side of the damm and fired off a few shots into the woods. Thankfully I had just gotten the yard ducks and geese put up about 20 minutes before. I had already read that 1 hour before and after sunrise and 1 hr before sunset is the most likely time they strike. Try getting some of the energy efficent daylight bulbs and leave it on all night in your coops. I do. They only burn like 9 watts for a 40 watt bulb I think it is and they are very bright

Ferndale, WA

Eufaula get rid of the bb's and use the pellets, I guarantee you they won't just bounce off and the rooster or varmint won't forget what they feel like. BB's won't penetrate those feathers but a pellet sure will and in most cases they will kill a chicken on the spot. I wished you could reach through your computer I give you my trusty .22...Haystack

Richmond, TX

- And give your air rifle a few extra pumps.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Ok will do! Ive never used the pellets before ...have to use a strip thingy to add pellets one at a time! I will learn how! Gonna get that Roster...weekend coming and Im gonna put the pot of water on the stove getting ready!
As for the other varmits... gonna have to get me some traps for sure!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Good luck hun! I hope you get that sucker! AND all the other destructive predators!

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I've read a university study that reported that coyotes will stay out of the lighted area cast by vapor lights. Can't remember the university, but I do remember it was a larger state uni. They showed night photos of the coyotes consistently skirting the entire lighted area regardless of what prey was placed in the lighted area. This was a several year long study. I've not tried it myself, but DH and I are discussing having a vapor light put up next to the shed in our new goat pasture. I like not having any lights around out here in the country, but we also have lots of coyotes. If it is a coyote, and based on this research, a light might help. As for that rooster, he'd be gone if it were me. I'm horrible about killing anything but spiders and snakes. I think I would catch him and then give him to someone at church. I would "dissapear" all of that neighbor's roosters, though. I think I might be looking a staying up all night just to make sure this wasn't a two legged varmit also?????!!!!! I'm kind of a suspicious little thing...can't imagine how I got that way, hmmmmmm ;~'!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

So sorry about your losses. It is frustrating. I'd kill the ole boy for sure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.