Gerrardanthus macrorrhizus

Decatur, GA

Here is the sequence of taking this plant out of the regular potting medium and into the clay pellets. It takes awhile to get all the little bits off the roots while trying not to do much damage.
I repotted it into a plastic drinking glass that I drilled some holes in near the bottom. I am trying some other types of containers too.
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild
Decatur, GA

Here are the roots. It doesn't seem like very many?
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild
Decatur, GA

Here it is in it's new container. The caudex got damaged last summer. You can see the brown area. The area is dry and I decided to just let it fall off in its own time.
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

All this is very new to me..but I love what u have done! I think that I will copy your idea and find some cool plastic cups :o) Thanks!

Yardley, PA

This is my plant that has been in the s/h for years. Seems to really like it.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Decatur, GA

SallyO, I am hoping for the same, many years of happy growing. I am trying different containers. I like the clear plastic glasses. What do you think about using a container without drainage and just monitor the reservoir depth?
Helen

Arlington, TX

I like your container idea, I wonder if they still have decorative plastic ware on sale from the summer?
C

Yardley, PA

I have used clear plastic containers and drilled my own holes in them. I don't know how important the drainage holes are. It will be interesting to see how you do with it. I wouldn't think it would be a problem. It looks really good.

Decatur, GA

Newton, I think they sell it anytime at places like the grocery store, BigLots, Dollar General and of course the Goodwill and your local Thrift Stores. But of course the best time is when the swimming/beach/pool season hits in the spring.
Thanks Sally for the compliment.
Helen

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Would mildew or algae be a problem without drain holes?

Arlington, TX

its a problem with drainage holes, my orchids already have it growing in their containers. I cant see it would hurt them any though.
C

Helen how do you think the small containers with s/h will do in the summer heat?

Decatur, GA

newtonsthirdlaw,
The summer heat and drying out might be a challenge. I will find out and keep you posted.
My drinking glasses are deep, just not wide.
Helen

Yardley, PA

I always get algae in the plastic containers but they do no harm. Haven't seen any mold.

Arlington, TX

I have a few that I started in sh and am going to see for myself this summer. I am a bit worried about how they will fair when temps reach 100+ and stay there for months on end.
C

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have the same situation here in Phoenix with the summer heat night and day. I am in the process of changing over my 6 or so caudiciforms to s-h so I will report on it also. I currently have 1 orchid and my Trichodiadema bulbosum in s-h since August and they look good. Of course, that is not all summer.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Helen your Gerradanthus is very healthy! Did you start it from seed? Where is a good place to buy clay pellets?

Arlington, TX

I don't put out my orchids, it just so hot here that they need water every day. The orchids growing in S/H are growing roots like crazy. They were gifts and nearly dead (rotted roots) and now I see healthy roots all over the pellets and oddly some growing nearly straight up!
C

Yardley, PA

That is awesome C! It is so exciting to see plants coming back to life. I received a Phal. that was half dead and it has really revived itself in the s/h. Seems really happy.

Decatur, GA

I didn't start it from seed.
I got the clay pellets at the local hydroponics supply store. Mail order had prohibitive shipping costs. I am not sure how much difference there is in the pellets from Firstrays and hydroponic stuff. Sally, do you know that answer?
Helen

Yardley, PA

I have only ever used Primeagra from Ray as I live close to him. On his site firstrays.com he explains the difference. I believe a lot of people are using the pellets from the hydroponics store with success.

Decatur, GA

Thanks SallyO. I hope they are functionally close.

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

I have occasionally checked my Hydroton, and I see moisture just below the surface pebbles. And I have one problem child of a Schulmbergia which seems smitten by hydroton and formed buds.

My only beef with S/H is what to water, especially dormant plants. And always watering with fertilizer. I loved to hose them down in the summer. But now it seems that I need to keep a reserve of something on the media, and not water with plain water at all.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Sorry guys, what is s/h?

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

Semi-Hydro

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

jlp222 look at this thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1133489/

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks guys :)

Decatur, GA

I took my G. macrorrhizus out of its container to check the roots. The plant has been sitting there without any signs of growth and I was afraid the roots were gone. As I suspected lots of them were brown and soft.. but fortunately there are some signs of new growth. So yippy. I am happy about that. With spring and warmer weather I am hoping it will put out new growth.
Helen

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I don't put my orchids outside either Cheryl. I have them in my kitchen greenhouse window with grow lights on them too. I only have my "fat plants" outside.

Phoenix, AZ

I'm really fascinated with the clay pellets. I only have one fat bottomed plant, a Adenium. There is a hydroponic store right down the street from me! Where does everyone order their Caudiciforms from? I'd love more :)

Decatur, GA

Try eBay. Aridlands Nursery has a lot. There are other places as well.
Helen

Phoenix, AZ

Thank you!

Yardley, PA

You can get the Primeagra at Firstrays.com

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.