Narcissus 'Paperwhite Ziva' in the garden.

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

I am watching these age, and want them again next year. Is it reasonable to plant out Narcissus as with Hippe hybrids in the garden for the summer. What care do they need?

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Easy to Grow Bulbs has some great instructions for growing and caring for paperwhites, including instructions for planting in the garden after blooming. Do be aware, however, that at some point during the summer, they'll go dormant to rest for the fall.
I can't say for sure that they'll bloom again next year. It may take them more time to "recharge" before they're ready to bloom again. I have some of my own from fall 2008 that I'm hoping will bloom this season. But I probably won't know for a bit longer as I transplanted them into large planters outside for this winter. They were in an 8" pot before that. They did multiply since I got them, though. So hopefully that's a good sign :)
Anyway, below is a link to Easy to Grow's website in case you're unfamiliar with it. Look for the plant instructions link. Hope this helps!
Michelle
http://www.EasytoGrowBulbs.com

Thank you, I could not find a link to how to grow Narcissus to bloom in the winter again, so maybe they just become outdoor plants?

I guess so... I think most sources of info figure that paperwhites that were bloomed indoors were forced. And, from what I've been able to find, forcing them takes a lot out of them. Many sources don't even seem to bother with trying to get them to rebloom; others say it will be a couple years or so before they rebloom again. I specifically planted the ones I bought in 2008 in a pot that I hoped would be large enough to give them plenty of root space so that perhaps they would rebloom again the next fall. But since they didn't rebloom in 2009, I'm thinking that perhaps one of the deciding factors has to do with the amount of light they were getting. Unfortunately, I didn't have anywhere indoors where they could get full sun most or all of the day. They spent the 2009-2010 growing season in the pot I originally planted them in, but they were outside where they could get more sun. And now they're planted in a large planter with other flowers outdoors. Hopefully, I'll get blooms again, but even if I don't, at least there will be other blooms along with they greenery. I hate the idea of just throwing them away, so I'm hoping they'll rebloom at some point :)
By the way, mine divided even though they have not rebloomed, so I figure that something ought to bloom, even if it isn't until the little bulbs get big enough!
Michelle

Just discovered two bulbs are sending up flower buds. So it looks like one CAN get them to rebloom again :)
Michelle

Interesting, I plan to give them full southern exposure when I plant out. Congrats on your blooms!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.