It's allegedly a jasmine . . . .

Lake Park, GA

My Sweetie brought home a plant in a BIIIGGG pot; it was labeled "Jasminum Grandiflorum -- Arabian Jasmine" . Vine-y; white blooms with a faint jasmine fragrance. BUT the leaves were certainly not any sort of real jasmine; they were definitely legumes. The dog has just destroyed the plant (while I wasn't looking), so unless the sprigs that I rescued grow roots and turn into another plant, I have no photos.

Does anyone know what this really might be? DG Plantfiles list not one thing as "Arabian Jasmine" or as "Jasminum Grandiflorum". Ideas, suggestions, flights of fancy are all welcome, 'cause I am stumped.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's Jasminum grandiflorum--not sure why it didn't come up for you. Looks like the current name is J. officinale but I searched for it as grandiflorum and it came up http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1638/

The jasmine I know as Arabian Jasmine is Jasminum sambac http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=jasminum&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=sambac&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search although common names are very unreliable so it's very possible someone might apply that name to a different species.

What did the flowers look like? If it was a legume the flowers would look very different than jasmine flowers too--that would be more of a tell-tale sign than the leaves in my opinion.

Lake Park, GA

ecrane, THANK YOU! I did find both of those jasmines in the DG Guides, but never thought about the flowers being more diagnostic than the leaves. Yes, the flowers are more jasmine looking than pea looking. Gonna get some Rootone and try to make a plant, so that I can post a photo!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

If he just destroyed the foliage and not the roots, it will come back from the roots.

I just saw these for sale in Lowes. really pretty plant but only cold hardy to 40 degrees according to the tag. the flowers smelled wonderful. well, i should say i saw plants marked arabian jasmine

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The ones you saw at Lowes were probably J. sambac--I've seen those at the Lowes around here quite a few times.

thanks, i really wanted to get a couple, but the 40 degree thing put me off, since it goes down to 20 here and i dont want any more sad frost ruined plants. do you know if they would come back from a frost or would it be terminal?
thanks

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I had one overwinter at my old house which was just slightly warmer than where I am now, but they don't survive here. I'd say a mild frost or two they might make it, but if your area is anything like mine you can have night after night of frost and temps at or a little below freezing, and that will be too much for them. So unless you have a greenhouse or can bring it inside I wouldn't buy it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.