EvaMae (leaflady)

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Hi all,
I visited her this afternoon at Centerpoint hospital in Independence, MO. She is doing well and recovering. It looks like quite a bit of pain and recovery for her, but I'm sure she'll do fine, she is a trooper and she has God on her side. I took her a card and got a photo of her. I was gonna do my camera on self-timer and get my mug in the photo too, but I forgot to bring my little tripod for it. Its impossible to set it down somewhere without it and get a photo. I didn't need to be in the photo anyway, its not about me. We had a good visit, she is in good spirits, I was there for a couple of hours. I told her we'd love to hear from you in the forums when you can.
She says hi to everybody.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

She looks great!! I'm hoping to get to see her Saturday but I think it's gonna depend on weather.

Thats great Pepper. Try to contact her family first, because I believe she is going to another place nearby to recover and rehab., she might already be there.
Will

Dang it. Ok, thanks. Will see what happens.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi EvaMae, I am suprised at how GOOD you look! I am so glad your surgery went well and hope you can get back on your feet soon! Prayers and gentle hugs for you.

Went and saw her yesterday. If it wasn't for a brace around her back and the fact she's not walking (she does walk in the wheelchair if that makes sense) you wouldn't know she had surgery. She's doing great and looks forwards to moving forwards with her rehab and going home when she's ready.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper, that's great! I am so glad she's doing so well!

Yeah, thats great Pepper.
Being laid up sure does stink. I remember years ago, when I broke my foot, I just crawled around the house for weeks and when I'd go out, I'd have crutches.
Just sitting there whiling away time, healing up, gets tiresome, you can't do what you want for a long time.
I was never going to run over my own foot again! lol
Will

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

ROTFL! Remind me not to do that ever. I couldn't stand to be down!

LOL!! I wouldn't be able to stand it either.

Haha! You guys unintentionally made puns! That is funny! I remember back in the day, (this was 96' or so), people and co-workers would ask me, "how'd you run over you're own foot?" "Its not easy", I'd say. If you think about it, really, its a good question. Well, ahem, I had been working on my truck, (I was a shade-tree mechanic even back then). I had been adjusting the linkage that shifted the gears and I had also been doing what I thot was adjusting the carburetor. Well, that was a bad combination to tinker with, actually, my carburetor mal-adjustments came out to be in my favor..lol. It was a 1970 Ford truck with a 390 big block engine, it was very heavy in the front end. I started it this one time, and when it started it was in reverse due to my adjustment of the shifting linkage! Recent cars wouldn't start in gear like that. Anywho, I had one foot on the gas pedal and one foot on the ground. When it went in reverse it knocked me to the ground, (the door was open), and unfortunately, the foot that was on the ground got ran over by a front tire. My lower leg got wedged as the truck tried to run over it too. The back wheel was spinning as it tried to run over my leg. Then, to my relief, and fortunately, my "adjustment" to the carburetor, it led to the engine dying, as it was attempting to run over my leg. That leg was bruised REAL bad, but not broken, (it was never ran over, Thank God), the limping began!
It wasn't a bad fracture of the foot, just a hairline break, but it was enuff to put me out of commission for about 2 months. My neighbor took me to the hospital and I got all fixed up for the weeks to come. Actually, it wasn't entirely terrible, I got short term disability from my job at the time. I was getting paid to sit there and be off work, so I guess it coulda been worse, sitting there and NOT be getting paid! Or potentially getting let go at my job, (because of my stupidity basically). Or, something more vital than a foot coulda been ran over!
Not ever doing that again tho! lol People said I looked pitiful, coming to the front door sitting on the floor for example! lol
Will

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will, good one catching those. LOL!

You were really lucky! I can imagine if any neighbor happened to see any of that, they would have been horrified, thinking the worst!

Does the foot give you any trouble? Any arthritis in it yet?

Hi EvaMae! Hope you're doing well!!

Humansville, MO

hi
evamae
are you ok
it been bad here
the cold is makeing it bad for us
hope you doing ok
i still working
elle
please write back

Oops, sorry Sally, I totally didn't see you're post, sorry. If I ever do that, it's fine to remind me to answer something. I tell you, it isn't easy having screws loose! lol Really, its nothing personal or anything, I value all my friends here.

That foot I think HAS been compromised possibly by that incident. I'm not sure it's related but every few years, for seemingly no reason it goes limp or hurts bad enuff to cause me to limp for a couple months. The last time, (for no reason), was around June 2009.
I limped for about 2 mos. I can recall 3 times since the incident, for no reason a foot gives me trouble. I'm really not even sure if it's the foot that got ran over. I'll look deeper into when it happens again. I'll dig up some old photos and see if it's the same foot. I might try to see a podiatrist perhaps. I remember one time (of several), it caused some pretty good embarrassment, I was walking across a crowded movie theater lobby and I just fell down to the floor, I had been limping with my limp foot and it was just a bad step and down to the floor I went! I remember this guy asked if I was alright, but I had quickly got back up and I said "I have a bum foot, thanks". Oh, and cutting grass, was different when a foot is just hanging there! But, most of the time my foot is fine, I am lucky, I have my health, (knock on wood), generally, life is good, no complaints here! : )

That neighbor (my cousin) is who took me to the hospital. Actually, they DID think bad.
They thought that I had gotten cut up by the fan blade initially, which in older cars and trucks spun all the time by a belt, unlike they do in more modern cars, I think they're electric. No neighbors or anybody saw it actually happen, it was a rural area and my Aunt and Cousin next door didn't see it happen, but heard the truck's wheel spinning and stuff not sounding right, (like me yelling for help..lol) I remember right after it happened and I was limping around, my Aunt asks me, "how do you feel?" I said, "like my foot was just ran over" in a normal tone..lol
We all liked each other pretty well, I'm still puzzled as to how they could burn me so bad in recent times.. aw well, sorry, going off on a tangent. They're not subscribers here, they wouldn't see the thread.
Arthritis in it? Nothing like that yet, Thank God. I think the spider veins down there on my ankle is just because I'm getting old! lol
Hi Elle, I haven't seen or talked to EvaMae in awhile but she was on the road to recovery the last I heard from her.
Will

This message was edited Jan 12, 2011 12:14 PM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Eva Mae, I've been thinking about you and wondering how you are getting along. Hopefully as good as before. Prayers and best wishes!!

Hi, Ellesgh

Will, I forgot about my last post, LOL!

It might be the foot gets stressed at times. I'm glad it doesn't hurt all the time. That's funny about which foot might actually hurt :o) Like the dog that limps with the wrong foot.

Yeah, I hate to do things like that in public when I know I'm OK.

I don't know what gets into relatives. It's too bad really. Family is good. I like all of mine, but there has been strife occasionally with others. (not involving me,)but it passes.

I haven't talked to EvaMae in awhile. I will try to remember to call her tomorrow and get an update on how she's doing.

Hi all,
I dug up an old photo and scanned it. It's my leg with my foot in a cast and it shows the bruise. It's been nearly 15 years since it happened. I was wrong about a couple things, it happened in Nov. not Summer, (I had my first kidney stone that Summer, that musta been where I got the date..lol). Also, I may have said it was the other leg that the truck tried to run over, it was the same leg with the run over foot, I see in the photo.
I've been wanting to get that photo out, now I know which leg it was.
Now, that was a bruise! I am glad that leg didn't get ran over! I was happy to hear my truck die as it was spinning the rear wheel trying to get over my leg!
Thanks Sally, it doesn't give me a lot of trouble anymore. Prolly no more than other people have ills with they're feet. Yeah, that foot could get stressed occasionally, there could very well be something wrong with it now that could last forever.
Haha! A dog limping with the wrong foot! I like the analogy!
Oh yeah, if I had a dollar for every embarrassing moment in public like that time I'd be rich! I'll prolly end up seeing a podiatrist someday. If trouble with a foot is all I'll have, (knocking on wood again!) I'll consider myself lucky!
Yeah, its important to have good relations with family. Unfortunately, that doesn't always work out. Some families just have stronger bonds with each other than others.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Pepper, hopefully she's doing really good. I thought maybe she would post to this thread.

Will, that is quite a bruise! Even the picture looks painful! Yeah, you'll be lucky to not get any arthritis in it. The tendons may be what get weak once in a while too. Oh my, I'm sure we've ALL been embarrassed more than once, LOL!

Yeah, it was painful indeed. I'm sure there is some serious pain out there. I've been lucky,
that fractured foot and bruise pale in comparison to more serious things. I regret putting that out there, it really is so petty. I'm guessing that the left foot isn't even the one that gives me trouble now on occasion, I don't know whats going on there. I have no complaints, life is good.

EvaMae called me yesterday and left a message. She's at home now and still recovering. She fell on her first day home and hurt her tailbone. We're hoping she didn't mess up her spine any. I will call her tomorrow and talk to her.

I don't know if she still has a subscription on here still or not. I'll find out.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will, at least I know what to expect if anyone happens to drive over my foot, LOL!

Pepper, I'm so sorry she fell. I'll bet that was a scary situation not knowing if she hurt her spine.

I'm thinking of her and saying prayers. I hope she can get along and heal after all this.

I talked to her today. She is at home and doing well. She says hi and misses everyone on here but does not have a subscription and cannot afford one.

She is doing therapy still but mostly on her own or with a visiting therapist. She left the rehab center just before Christmas. They were too aggressive with her therapy and she had a few other incidents so she left as soon as she could. She is doing much better now and is much happier. The fall she had at home didn't mess her up any which is good.

That's pretty much it. All in all she's doing great!! She loves the fact that she now can sit and stand straight and can feel the difference.

Thanks Pepper. Thats great news, that improvement would be a life-changer, its onward and upward! I bet she'll do better than my disgusting bruise up there, isn't that thing hideous?! Don't ever have you're foot ran over! Not even as a joke.
I think they do it on tv but prolly not really!
Yeah, my Mom had many disagreements with the rehab. center when she had knee replacement surgery, she was there for I think 2 days. Glad her fall didn't mess anything up.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper, I'm so glad she can tell a difference and is doing so well! Even tho she's not here, she knows we still think about her.

Will, I'll bet it was more hidious after it turned purple and sickly shades of yellow :o)

Humansville, MO

hi
thank you for the new about Eva Mae
next time you talk to her ask her to write me
if she well
elle

Elle, she mentioned emailing you guys. Her computer is down right now. Something got unplugged but she can't get back behind the computer to see what it was. I'll remind her though.

Humansville, MO

thank you
how are you
we are trying to get through this winter
it harder because we are getting older
elle

You're welcome. :~) Doing good. Busy working and trying to get ready for spring. I take care of the greenhouse at work and I'm fretting over when the order forms are supposed to start coming in. lol

Hope you and Dave are holding up ok down there. Tell Dave I said hi and I miss your rabbit gold. :~)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.