Coho run

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Though there are Coho in my little Joe Hall Creek now, these images were taken at the larger Elk Creek that Joe Hall runs in to. This years run was (is!) huge.We could see dozens of of fish in the pools below the falls, even with the turbulence. Old time locals are in awe, and reminded of days long ago. Our creek rehabs are working.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Another image.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Congrats! Did they manage to get up that waterfall OK?

Resin

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Wow, Cool!

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Most got up, but not at that particular section. It goes up about 12-15 feet, then there's about 30 feet more with just a slight upgrade, but only a trickle of water. Many would get within 6-8 feet of the creek again, and run out of steam. Then they'd use their tail to pull themselves back down. There's another way up, but it's extremely turbulent. That's where most finally got up.

We've more rain on the way, so are anticipanting another run. It's been a marvelous return this year!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

How neat!

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

GREAT shots!!!!!!

Sandusky, OH

Nice capture's Tiger!!

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Here's a hen that couldn't get all the way up, and turned around to go back down.

There's much more water now, and the runs seems to be about done. Coho came in over a 5-6 week period this season! A marvelous run!

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Sandusky, OH

Another nice catch! Amazing the will of nature.

Decatur, GA

Great shots and as former resident of WA state I am glad to hear there was a good run.
Helen

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the nice comments. We'll be seeing lots of fry in a few months. What a season it's been.

I'm from the coast, and spent 2 summers on a salmon troller. I never dreamed in moving to the country that I'd witness so much of our nature. It was just dumb luck that I have a creek in the back yard. When I arrived, it was completely canopied in blackberries. After clearing, I find the creek banks my favorite place to spend my free time.

Mentor, OH

Tigerlily, Those Coho are the most determined fish I've ever seen. The first one I ever saw many years ago had jumped two or three feet over a creek bank and was following a trickle of snow-melt water. I found it in an open field about a hundred yards from the creek in puddles of water no more than three inches deep. I got it turned around and headed back into the creek. One more day and it would have been raccoon food. We had no natural reproduction at all. Ohio and Pennsylvania stopped stocking Coho and Chinook Salmon smolts and now only concentrate on steelhead and a few brown trout. I am very envious of you having a creek in your back yard. If it was me I would never have been able to hold a job. LOL

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Ha, lucky for me I'm retired. ;-)

A couple years ago the fellow that looks after Dean's Creek (a wildlife area near Reedsport) told me a story similiar to yours. I'd have doubted him, had I not seen these fish quite literally belly crawl up rock weirs. They are, indeed, amazingly determined.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.