Advice neededPreventing falls on ice and snow

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Have any of you used those slip on over boots or shoes things called "Yaktrax, Stabilicers, Grippers, etc" to minimize falls when walking on ice and snow? Do they work? Do they hold up?

I'm looking to give some as gifts to my pregnant daughter in Vermont and my newspaper delivery friend as well as a pair for myself.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

My DW used to use Yaktrax walking on sidewalks which were Icier than skating rinks when we lived in the city. They work, the only thing is that you really can't use them if there is no ice or snow so you have to be conscientious and take them off or they'll wear down too fast and fall apart. Even with care I had to buy her a new pair every year... not so bad considering the cost of an ER visit!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes, I've used them and they do work.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks for your replies. Didn't know about the yaks wearing out but do know that some of the ones with 'spikes' can lose their spikes as sites offer replacement parts! I'm leaning towards the yak trax as they seem like they would hold lesssnow/slush than the more enclosed ones.

Any comments on how slippery any of them are on smooth surfaces like ceramic tile like several of the building entries where the newspaper must be delivered each day? Ease of on/off?

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

- Use caution on smooth surfaces like ceramics or marble, (will likely scratch same), effectiveness & life of the product maybe decreased as a result as well.

- About as difficult as putting on galoshes.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I work in homecare, and we just ordered them for all our visiting staff, supposed to be easy to slip on and off between seeing patients.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Debi, Did you all order the Yaktrax or another kind?

My first ones basically lived on my snow boots all winter and I would slip out of boots and into inside shoes or slippers rather than taking the "Grippers" on and off the boots.

I'm not sure, sorry, we haven't gotten them yet, and I didn't personally order them.

Thomaston, CT

My DH & I both wore Grippers when we walked the dogs....both of us fell when we got onto some sheer ice on the trail....have not tried any of the others.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Ouch Robindog. Hope you weren't injured or recovered quickly.

I try to remember to keep my center of gravity over my feet, etc....even so..(I swaer one day I was just standing there, not moving at all, and down I went!)

How do our dogs, or animals do so well on slippery stuff?

I do try to avoid as much ice walking as possible but worry about the hidden ice patches below a fresh dusting of snoe.

Any one do the wool socks over boots for ice traction?

Thomaston, CT

Wow, never heard of that, but it may work. Thanks, Cole, my DH & I were unhurt, except for a sore elbow on my DH....that's was when we were young & foolish enough to walk the dogs on ice.....it was the last time, however!

I got my "wintertrax" at work today, funny thing is they don't fit over heels!
I'll try them out in the morning when I walk the dog, I slipped a few times walking this morning.

Thomaston, CT

I've never been so conscious of slipping as I have this year....my mail comes between 5 & 6, & I just leave it in the box until morning....nobody would ever find me in my driveway!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i have the yaktrax and they were great for me - with a second story deck and stairs to walk down in the back they have been great for the ice that covers it from melting snow.

i do not where them for long walks - only to grab the paper at the end of the driveway.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.