Bonanza day

Olympia, WA

This is one of 3 boxes of Agaricus campestris that happened to catch my eye a few weeks ago!!!!!!! What a rush that was!!!!!!! They are all nicely sauteed and sequestered in my freezer at this point!

Thumbnail by wannadanc
Olympia, WA

The first day I failed to have my camera, my knife, or even a flat box in the truck!!! I came back the next day to catch some shots of the ones I left behind!!!!

Thumbnail by wannadanc
Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Nice, wannadanc!

I'm not confident enough yet to pick anything less obvious than chanterelles, lobsters & charcoal burners, but I love to see any & all photos of other people's treasure hunts.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from summerkid :
I'm not confident enough yet to pick anything less obvious than chanterelles, lobsters & charcoal burners, ...

Yep, certainly charcoal burners are very easy to recognise, from their clothing and the long-handled shovels they use: http://www.openairclassroom.org.uk/images/images%20science/charcoal%20kiln.gif

;-)

Olympia, WA

I admit to being dubious about lobsters, because when I learned of it, emphasis was made that the host fungus might not be identifiable and not safe. Of course, I have not been with experts to really "learn" that one. Charcoal burners? LOL - Thanks Resin!!!!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Not sure what your problem is with lobsters? Quite easy: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Homar1.jpg

Resin

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Therein lies the problem, resin! With the photo cropped the way it is, we cannot identify the host.

danc, all the info I'm aware of says that people who caution about the hosts are just overcompensating for any & all possible dangers. This is from www.mushroom-collecting.com:

It has been postulated in some mushroom field guides that Hypomyces could attack a poisonous mushroom such as an amanita causing poisoning. There does not seem to be a lot of actual evidence of this. People have eaten this one for hundreds of years with few known incidents. As always, if you have never eaten a particular type of mushroom, try a small amount first. This one can be very choice or not so good in my experience. Often, older specimens can get rot spots from dirt sitting on the top or in crevices of the cap and start to smell bad. Don't give up if you find one that is not great. You could break it or slice it up and distribute it in locations where Russulas and Lactarius grow and hope for the best.

Olympia, WA

Resin - you are surely on a roll - maybe even a "lobster roll"!!!!!!!!

Summerkid - thanks for "getting it" - LOL and for info.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.