AAAaghhh!!!! Chicken with LICE

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Our rescue rooster, who turned out to be a hen, not a rooster, is ill. We've been trying to figure out what is wrong. Finally, we figure that she is probably egg bound and miserable. So this morning I put her in a warm bath to hopefully help with the egg and I see LICE crawling on her feathers and ducking back underneath!!!! EWWWWW! I feel like they are crawling on me now!
What do you do in this case? I have 4 other chickens who don't appear to have them, but will have to be treated as well. The sick girl is going to the vet this afternoon anyway.
Any advice welcome. I so still have the heebie jeebies.....

Richmond, TX

Lice are easily treated with permethrin (or any other livestock insecticide) dusts. Adam's flea spray works well too. They usually don't do serious damage to your hens and they can't live on you, but they are creepy!

Ferndale, WA

Just can't help but chuckle, lice!!! Yuk, Yuk. But they won't hurt you...lice usually live under the feathers and can be very hard to detect but water will surely bring them out. Stick the others in that water and you may be surprised at what you find...Hay

Richmond, TX

Nah, skip the water and just dust them all.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

I'll be dusting them all because it's too cold for water here. Ewww Eww ewww. I can deal with a large amount of honeybees at the hive, but bugs that suck blood?! No thank you!
Meanwhile, I am laughing my butt off today because it really couldn't get any weirder....

Ferndale, WA

I say dunk them and then sell the lice in ice cubes...LOL...Hay

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Hay! You have a devious mind! I'd do that if there was someone around that I REALLY didn't like. ... kind of like making your dog allergic boss a scarf knitted from dog fur yarn.... :)
Thought about that but didn't do it....

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

ewwwwwwwwwuuuu

Ferndale, WA

OH ho Tamberlin, I really like your thinking. Good thing we aren't close enough to conspire, I really think we'd be in deep do do...LOL. Hay

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Sounds like the "Katzinjammer" kids ride again!!!! Now Im really dating myself!! LOL!!!

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

I like keeping the nest boxes dusted with DE and that will prevent mites, lice and flies on the hens. Males get dusted by being in close contact. Also chickens should be wormed every now and again and what better time than when you have an outbreak of lice. Ivermectin kills internal and external parasites.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

I've dusted all the girls with Sevin and mite powder. BIG question: Can a person still eat the eggs from the chickens after the dusting? Of course, they've all gone and rolled in the dirt too...

Other big question: How often should they be dusted for mites and lice?

Thanks guys:

To Haystack - I'm guilty of the ExLax brownies prank. it worked really well too!

Richmond, TX

You can still eat the eggs. I usually repeat the dusting in about two weeks.

Ferndale, WA

Tamberlin you are an outright stinker...but I love it...Oh what i'd have given to see the results...LOL

Eufaula you look so much younger, I thought I was the only one to remember those children...Toooooo Funny...Hay

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Oh Hay , You are so sweeeeeeet!!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I got hubby with a big rubber roach in his coffee. I thought he was going to throw up. I laughed so hard I thought I would wet myself. Of course it went to work with him to do it to someone else

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL @ Donna!!!

Ferndale, WA

Donna, you are one sick puppy, but I love sick puppies...LOL...Hay

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Would you like some "lice" with your tea?

Ferndale, WA

Sorry Tamberlin, Just sitting here giggling, can't help myself...Hay

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

liced tea?

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Fried lice?

Richmond, TX

You people are dreadful!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

yeah but ain't it fun though!!!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

EWWWWWWWWWWWuuuuuu

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Personally I prefer lice pudding with my liced tea with lice cubes.....
and I'm off...
Have a good day!
Deb

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!

The Dalles, OR

Oh lord did I laugh at this forum.
However, after I stopped laughing I wanted to share something with everyone.
My Grandmother taught me to dump some wood ash, yes, the stuff from a wood stove out in the chicken's favorite dust bath site.
The wood ash will coat the feather's, and will smother the lice and the chicken's will enjoy the bath.
Make absolutely sure the wood ash comes from non poisonous wood, NO coated or treated wood and make sure the ash is completely dead out. NO cinders or you will have roasted chicken and lice.

cs

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Yum!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

ROTFLMAO!!! Velly Lice Stoley!!!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

owww....
Well, Lice chicken is still living in my living room in a dog crate until she gets the ok from the vet to go outside again for her other unlice issues. She really wants to get outside.....very vocal

39999, Vietnam

Hello ! We are pleased to introduce to you one particular species of rare birds in the world only in Vietnam . Received great attention from Crown Prince of Japan , as well as experts in the livestock sector of the country as australia.bi .
It is the king of chicken or frozen chicken algae called because it originated in Dong tao - potatoes Chau district - Hung Yen province - Vietnam . Chicken in Vietnam over the king was known legend is often used to worship the King . Famous for frame legs is like dragon feet . with the dark red substance like beef crisp sweetness of the thick layer of skin . with high body weight to , as one mighty generals . weighing 4 - 6kg roosters , hens 3 - 4kg . as well as his remarks chef Adam 1 of 5 stars Fine said. " This is the species most delicious chicken you 've ever processed and enjoy ." And now we want to introduce this special breed worldwide . desire to cooperate with international organizations and development of artificial propagation for this rare breed .
The more you can refer to on our website
Phone: +84918768688
Mail : Traigadongtao@gmail.com

Thumbnail by chickenking
Richmond, TX

Oh my! That certainly is an unusual bird! Thank you for posting.

(Zone 6b)

Now, isn't that odd? ChickenKing posted and brought up this old thread from 2010. I'm reading it thinking all the old crew is back, but no. Took me a few minutes to realize the date.

Well, I loved it. Missed it all back then. You guys were funny!

Richmond, TX

Yes, I thought it was an odd place for his post, but he has since started his own thread which should make the post more visible.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.