pear tree help

Newborn, GA(Zone 8a)

My late great grandmother's home is going up for sale soon. My great grandfather planted a pear tree and a fig tree on the property before I was born. I found and dug two rooted starts under the fig tree, but there is nothing to take from the pear. Both are dormant now. Thinking about possibly making a cutting of the pear. Suggestions about making the cutting what to do with it this winter are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Charlotte, VT

I would recommend calling your local extension service or explaining your situation to person that has a pear orchard in your area. Some orchardists do their own grafting. If that person doesn't perhaps he might know someone that does. Good luck. I find myself wishing I could have some of the blackberry plants that my grandmother grew.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Is it an old standard-size tree growing on its own roots? If so: in addition to top grafting - I think you had better try root cuttings, too, because of the time of year. It is the wrong time of year for top grafting - it is difficult to keep the grafts from drying out when the tree is dormant. You might try semi-soft twigs and rooting hormone, too.

Greensburg, PA

Starting pears from stem cuttings can be difficult. Grafting is usually the best approach. Cut dormant pencil sized stems with lots of buds on them, cover with peat, vermiculite or sand, wrap in plastic and place in the refrigerator. They should store well at around 35-40 degree temperature. Locate an expert grafter and get him to graft (a few young pear trees) onto appropriate root stock in the spring OR ask if he can do bench grafts at a greenhouse. The expert will know where and how to find the root stock, but you should also be able to find it mail order at One Green World or Raintree Nursery, both located in Oregon. It is important to choose a rootstock that is appropriate for the area you will be growing in and the type of tree you will be grafting (pear). You should do multiple young trees, as success is never 100%. Getting an expert is also important, because a poorly done or structured graft can live a couple of years before having problems.

Pollen raises an important issue. Grafted pears have been around for a long time and it is quite possible that your pear tree was itself grafted onto a rootstock of a different variety than the top of the plant. If you take root cuttings, be aware that they may be different from the top of the tree.

Hope this helps.

Newborn, GA(Zone 8a)

I did find a grafter at a fruit tree nursery right around the corner from my dad's house. He told me to take some pencil sized cuttings in late February, bring them to him, and he would take care of it for me. Thanks!

Charlotte, VT

That's fantastic!! Does your Dad have any idea what variety the pear tree is? If not when you get some pears the nursery owner might be able to recommend someone to identify the tree.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.