Desert kit fox (Vulpes macrotis)

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have been having to trap for feral dogs recently and two out of the last three nights something had gotten into the trap and taken the bait food without setting off the trap . I had, had a similar two expierences last spring so I had a hunch that I was dealing with another (or the same one ) kit fox . It had gotten into the trap and gotten away with the bait food as I said so I knew that the animal had to be very light to not spring the trigger . So I adjusted the trigger to a lighter touch and put the bait into a container where it could be both seen and smelled and wired that to the trip plate so whatever was getting the bait would have to work for it rather than just snatching it . As I suspected , a kit fox .

He was not very happy about being out foxed .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

It remained quite calm considering the circumstances .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Being primarily nocturnal , these creatures are rarely seen . I was happy to get this close to one . I have seen many a house cat larger/heavier than these creatures .

This message was edited Nov 30, 2010 2:15 AM

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Very cunning these creatures , it was sizing us up as we admired it .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

My friend opened the door and it was gone in a flash , not even leaving any dust in the air as I tried to get it's picture as we released it . I hope it learned a lesson not to try entering the trap again .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

That is a very pretty animal, lonediver. Glad you got to see it up close and was able to share it with us.
We have the Red fox here. I've seen them in the wild quite a few time, but like you, they are hard to get a picture of. One day i came upon a family of 4 kits and a Mother. I put the pictures on this thread. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010317/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.