germinating iris seeds

Vail, AZ

Can anyone tel me how long I need to chill my seeds. I refridgerated them for 5 weeks, in soil, and have had them outside for aother 3 since it got cold. Can I bring them in now and get early germination?

South Hamilton, MA

Since our seeds stay out in the cold until spring, I can't tell you about outside. A friend refrigerates in spagnam moss & they start germinating Feb--March.

Lebanon, OR

We just plant the seeds without doing anything to them here

D

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Yes, but you never get warm.

Pleasant Grove, UT

I soak my iris seed for 3 days, rinsing several times, put on a paper towel, sprinkle on a little rootone, fold up the towel that contains the seeds, moisten the packet and wrap in aluminum foil and put in a sealable plastic bag marking the cross.. I did this in mid-Oct. Then they go into the vegetable cooler in the refrigerator until Jan when I will pot them up and grow under florescent lights til mid-May when I line them out in the garden. I try to push them with good cultural practices and usually have a high percentage of bloom here in zone 5 the following year. One of the reasons I do it this way is to have something to watch during those long winter months. I also grow my hosta seeds under lights. They do not require the cooling period..

This message was edited Mar 9, 2015 1:03 PM

Thumbnail by
South Hamilton, MA

We just plant them in small flats & let them sit outside for the winter. Perhaps more germinate with special care, but it becomes work instead of fun. Our winter is long & cold enough to do the job.

This message was edited Mar 9, 2015 1:04 PM

Thumbnail by
Vail, AZ

I brought my seeds into the sunroom in early Dec. I've gt 40% germination so far.

Thumbnail by redheadclan
Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

blomma, you posted your link from your 'My Tools' function, which only you have access to but I found the link you meant by clicking on your name and your Garden Diary. Thanks for your detailed descriptions!
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/blomma/14734/

Sue, Ops! Thanks for pointing that out and adding the correct link.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.