costliness of clutter

Crozet, VA

I am almost ashamed to admit this but feel that I have certainly shared more shaming information on myself in the past. This morning while thinking in terms of de-cluttering, I thought I would share something I found out the past couple of days while going through kitchen cabinets. I realized the hard earned money we have coming in to the house could be better spent on thiings other than buying replacement things because of forgetting where something is or not being able to find what we are looking for because things are so cluttered.

Not too many months ago I purchased an inexpensive electric knife. I love using it. Two nights ago when cleaning out a smallish cabinet which is rarely accessed I found a brand new Hamilton Beach, much fancier than new electric knife. I am not sure where it came from or even when I bought it.

Last week I purchased a supply of tall kitchen trash bags. Last evening I found an almost full box of them in a cabinet that I had stuck the bags in instead of where I usually store them. So now I shouldn't run out of trash bags for a prerry good while.

Anyway......it made me stop and think of how often in the past I have done the very same sort of thing. For this reason it would definitely be a lot cheaper if I could begin to keep cabinets and drawers organized so that I wouldn't be double buying certain items. It will be very interesting whenever I get to the utility room where I keep most of the tools that are needed around the house. I can think of several items that I have purcahsed something only to find out that I already had a supply of whatever but just didn't know it was here due to disorganization.

Any thoughts?

Ruby

This thread has 315 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!