New babies!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I went to the hardy citrus expo in Wilmington, NC yesterday and was FORCED to buy a Flying Dragon Orange, Tea camellia and a Citrangequat 'Thomasville'.
All are hardy here and are plants that I have been wanting for a while.
Love it!!!!!
Barb

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

That Flying Dragon is really good for grafting. You get about 30-40 seeds in each of those tiny fruits. They are completely inedible and leave a nasty oil on your hands if the juice touches you. Other than that, it is one gorgeous looking plant.

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

Barb, Wish you luck with your new citrus. At the very least you should get some good lime like juice from the citrangquat. Don

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

You should really try a Satsuma.
They are extremely cold hardy. They will be like Little Cutties but larger.

Miho and Seto are hardy to 14F
Brown Select and Owari are hardy to 16F

North of Heber, AZ(Zone 6b)

Barbie, I'm confused -- did you get a dwarf orange tree on flying dragon rootstock, or a flying dragon plant that you can graft something onto?

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I love learning about all the different citrus that are hardy and edible.
AZgrammie, I got a flying dragon (Poncirus trifoliata). I'm not planning on grafting anything to it or trying to eat the fruit; I just love the look of the plant.
One question. Should I go ahead and plant my Citrangequat 'Thomasville' now, or wait until the spring?
Thanks,
Barb

North of Heber, AZ(Zone 6b)

Dang me, I don't have the faintest idea what a Citrangequat is!

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

If you are on Trifoliate rootstock, it tends to go dormant during the winter which gives you very little root growth advantage. If you are on sour orange rootstock, the roots should continue growing during the winter.
The younger they are, the more sensitive they are to cold. So if you want to give them one season of growth to prepare them for winter, I would keep them in pots and bring them in if it gets in the 20s.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

AZGrammie - I know! I looked at the label and went "huh??" Here's the parentage: Oval kumquat (Citrus × insitorum Mabb) x Willits citrange ( Fortunella margarita).

jujubetexas - I'm pretty sure it's on trifoliate rootstock. Thanks for the info. I won't plant it in the ground until the spring and when I bring it in, it will be into the heated sunroom.
Good to have this info. Thanks! The learning curve continues.....
Barb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.