Mid-South Garden Art, Part 3

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

We came here from:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1136610/

To make it easier for our dial-up friends (which includes me), I decided to go ahead with a Part 3. Please feel free to add to this thread if you want to do so. There are a lot of great ideas on the two Mid-South Garden Art threads that came before this. ^_^

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Thousand Oaks, CA(Zone 10a)

Carole,
Thanks for the new thread.

Love your sun. Are you going to paint it? I'm asking as I have a tin sun and I want to paint it yellow (how original, I know).

Is that your patio with all the gorgeous plants hanging, posted 11/16 I think.. Lovely. Do you have to bring them all in. for the winter? What a bother!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi keeping ... I'm not sure what I'll do with the sun. It has been hanging on my gate there for about month until I decide. Can you believe I snagged that at Lowe's for $6.29 on clearance (originally $25)? I love clearance!!! ^_^

That is not my patio but we had a lanai patio when we were out there in San Juan Capistrano and I had a lot of similar things on it. I had more eiphyllums, rhipsalis, staghorn, elkhorn and other ferns than tillandsias at that time but my favorite tillandsias are those big gray ones. I just ordered one from an eBay seller out there in Magalia. So, of course, being only 4 miles from the ocean out there, I didn't have to bring them in. That would indeed be too much to move! Gosh, I miss that lanai patio!!!

Here's another sun I have ... thinking about a small collection of them for the fence. The copper won't stay shiny ouside unless I seal it though.

Well, if you paint your sun yellow and don't like it, you can always repaint it. Yellow is one of my favorite colors so I'm a bit biased. ;-)

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

I love that sun ..I too love clearance stuff...Great Idea collection of sun faces... Are those grey plants bromilades ??? I ve got 2 pineapple plants started for the grankids.need to get them in pots.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, the gray plants belong to the Bromeliad family, genus Tillandsia.

I'd like to do one section of the chain link fence with suns, another with crocs/garden shoes like bigbubbles showed, and have some of the dish garden things in front like n2birds has made. I'm such a copy-cat. ;-)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

...and those glass totems over on t2t are very nice ... sort of like the idea of the stacking teapot, c&s, picture you showed. I need both of those too. I haven't been over to the GW in quite a while. I'm afraid to go. :-D)))

UMM I did go to GW yesterday,got some cute stuff,wanted a bunch but there were $20 & $25 price tags on the large like pasta or chip bowls,I thought they were over priced on a few things SADLY ,I donate soo much stuff too,it kind of irritated me I couldnt afford the $25 dish..let alone a less fortunate person >.......

Thumbnail by huggergirl

wanted the big bowls for Bird baths,getting ready to set up a heated bb for winter.Iam going to watch for their 1/2 off sale but the bowls will still be $$ Iam thinking this will be a bb want to mount it on a post of some sort,not tall mostly because I have no FLAT spots to set it.ia, itching to go back already,they had a nice selection of plates,I need to drive to Warsaw G W,oh no i got the BUG.I like the totem w/o the lilpot on top

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

WOW!!! You did very well, hugger. I luv them all! That green pressed glass tray is beautiful too! Would like to sit my upside down pink Fenton fairy lamp top turned succulent planter on that along with some other things. I have got to get over to GW today or Monday, if I can. What glue are you using on the totems?

I have not glued any yet ,Iam not sure possibly a silacone ??? Those will be on hold a bit,other fish to fry..I need to stay focused !!!! too many fish too fry is the problem.worked outside today was nice,got a little bit more cleaned up.Iam also cleaning the rust off the siding and foundation,from the sprinkler ...Got the west side cleaned up,planted the last aster,helped dh cut down a small dead maple.I need to go cut out my stocking !!!! oH I injected a pork shoulder with Cajun butter BBq and made cole slaw,oM unbeleivably YUMMIE pulled pork.Iam always going to inject marinade from now on .best ever.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I hear you ... first things first! ^_^

Geeze I just dug myself in deeper...LOL now I need to make a set of the snowmen for someonelse ,she has helped me with my concrete painting projects,A LOT .so Iam paying it forward,is that right ?? = ] Iam looking forward to making those..Going to get started on my sewing today.I think !!! I hope !!Dh was spose to go get Bird seed yesterday,want to make suet cakes.he got side tracked cutting the tree down and getting it all cleaned up and he filled a stump hole w/dirt after I hacked the dryrotted stump out,a plieted wood pecker helped a lot earlier this year he tore it up,was great to watch.Need to get the dh to the dentist,he is losing his battle of gum disease,dentures are next .And he will be picky his dad was a dental tech ,so he knows what why and how dentures should fit.Poor guy,they will have to pull his bridge,and its 3 of his front teeth,and more to come out,not alot left,good thing there.Part of my winter to do pile ,repaint,build !!!!LOL OH and we are getting the lights and shelves out of the shed ,for my indoor greenhouse in march !!!

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Wow!!! Your project pile looks about like mine. LOL. Actually, it might be bigger than mine. What are you doing with the deer? Will it go outside?

The dish totem is going to be great!

Most men are not fond of dental work so that should be a lot of fun. I can't say that I am either particularly. ;-)

Do you think that our little GA peach, digger, will take pictures during her time away? I would love it if she found some cool garden art to post. Surely she probably took a camera???

We have a couple of woodpeckers out back, and I always enjoy them. If I ever get to where I'm more adept with my camera, I hope to get some good shots.

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Hugger - you certainly got some great finds. There is no way I'd show pics of my projects waiting on me. I'd have to take pics all around the house - in all the nooks and crannies I have them all piled in. lol

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Me either Bonnie!!!LOL That would be my whole garage!!

OH thats an eenie pile ,I have more !!! We are used to the dentist, both of us have had EXTENSIVE WORK, I had a 5 hr upper jaw surgury,braces ,wired shut 18 days. I had an open over bite,you know buck teeth LOL ...and I have 12 crowns and 9 or 10 rootcanals, DH has almost the same history lots of work.He is just worried he will get a poorly fitting set of dentures ,He is wishing his dad was still alive to make him his dentures.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ackkkkk ... yes, I would call that extensive.

LOL.. Just glad we had dental Insurance then, not anymore ....sooo dentures are out of pocket,at least 2,000. Iam soo lucky we had great dental or I would still have Buck Teeth,and severe TMJ ...I will be calling Dr. tim soon this am,I think i will call my mil too,see if she knows a phone # for someone that was in the dental tech business with Ralphs dad,then that guys son was a dental tech families lost contact he might know of someone in the denture buisness that would make dentures as well as their fathers did.DH can be a royal pain about things like that,I will do it ,Iam telling you dh will not be easy to deal with if the dentures fit badly.Iam going to contact Jim behind dhs back.See if he knows a good old fashioned Dental lab.Also jim is Dhs age they know each other its been years but ...iam gonna find him,he will understand,I told dh to find him a while back,naahh .when it means the difference of getting a good set and a bad set,I WONT have a toothless Husband....

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

You are too funny!! Creative, but funny. ^_^

Okay, today I finally went to GW. Oh my gosh!!! I couldn't believe all they had there! Here is one picture with the wonderful little old spice cabinet I found. Can't you just see this with succulents or herbs or ? in the drawers ... great planter-to-be. ^_^ It cost me all of $4.80. I couldn't believe that either. The milk glass piece on the top is the nice old milk glass with the opalesence. I do believe it is a fancy stopper for a perfume bottle or something. Since it looks like a little flower, I bought it for .80.

And just had to get that little sign. LOL.

Another pic to follow. Got dishes and glassware for the totems. They aren't necessarily going to be the way they are stacked ... that was just for the picture.

This message was edited Nov 23, 2010 4:17 AM

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I also love the statues of the little boy playing the sax and the girl with her ears covered. LOL! They are dated 1971. I'm going to seal them and put them in the garden. Gosh that's 40 years old!! And a real wooden shoe for planting. And glassware and plates and ... I had so much fun!!!!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

And so far I've only chipped one thing since I got it all home ... the tiny little brown stoneware pot with lid. But I can sort of bury that on its side with some Semperviviums so no one will ever know. Glad it only cost .80. ROTFL.

Carole you made out like a bandit like WOW ,I want all your stuff woman...Dang ,but you are giving me excellent Ideas .I love the lil cabinet,well and everthing !!!! i might need to go to the warsaw GW....the statues will be neat. Iam soo jealous, going to have to stay away from the clean and clutter free thread as Iam bring ing more stuff into the house via goodwill...OK I can say I makin christmas gifts.LOL

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Well. I can die happy now......I know what GW stands for! I've been guessing all kinds of things......

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

ROTFL, Sandi! If we all got together to GW shop at the same time, we'd need to rent a large U-haul. Have you ever seen that I-127 Longest Yard Sale on HGTV with those ladies and their U-hauls crammed full of stuff driving the I-127 corridor? That's the picture that came to my mind.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

In Roundtop, Tx, twice a year there are miles of antique... and junk dealers... lined along the highways. Beautiful furniture and crazy stuff too. We went the first weekend in October. It's also the first weekend of April. Lots of fun, even if you don't buy anything.

I would have my truck full of so called garden art and the like..IT would be fun ,Iam thinking we have one of those longest yard sales close to here once a year.I will be going up to shipshewanna this winter to the auctions inside. bubbles I have to laugh with you GW...LOL Iam still guessing at more than a few of those

Wow - you did do very good Carole ! I ran into a friend of mine Saturday nite, and her 3 sisters came into town (from Texas) and all they did for 4 days was GW/Salvation Army shopping. I think their haul is even consisting of queen size beds, etc. They got so much my friend's DH is gonna have to deliver alot of it to them. I was soooo jeolous that I didn't get in on their "sister" day of fun - even tho I am not remotely related, I didn't think that should matter, huh ? :-(

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

No, I don't see why that should matter at all, Bonnie. We all belong to the The Sisterhood of the Traveling Junkers. (Yes, I stole that title.) :-D))

Those events in Roundup sound like a whole bunch of fun. I like it when things are out along the roads easy to see ... or when they have a dumpster diving day where unwanted items go to the curb for others to help themselves.

You might be near the I-127 sale, hugger, I think it runs up into OH. I know it runs all the way through KY. I can't remember where Columbia City is located?

I've been fiddlin' around with some combinations. I'm such a fruitcake that I have to try a bunch even if I like the very first one I stack. I had bought the bottom piece at GW awhile ago. It's a glass floor vase, I think. It's 18" tall but you can't tell it from the angle of my shot.

We are north eastern Indiana,50 miles from ohio and michigan,I do think it runs fairly close. Oh Ive stacked and restacked too,ya got too !!!! I want to go buy some more ,waiting for 1/2 off sale,I`d better sign up to a mailing list.You have some great items to work with,Fun Fun..

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Replaced the top piece. I said I wasn't going to use blue. Yes, we can see that. LOL.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm thinking plant stands for the ones that have ceramic pieces in them. The glass will hold up better out in the elements. Now when I need them, where are all those old concrete and pottery bird bath bases that no longer have their tops??

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

turn the dark blue floor vase upside down....

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I noticed that when I looked at the pictures. Will do, Sandi.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Restack ... then the electricity went off.

I really like your aqua stand Carole - you could leave one of your top plates off and use it for a gazing ball stand ?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I do believe so, Bonnie. I hope to make several of these ... not expensive to make. I want to use some as plant stands indoors and out, in the dish garden outside, gazing ball idea is a good one, can even use one with a small bowl as a birdfeeder on the deck. Trying to take pics so I remember what I did.

One last pic... the uploading is soooo slow today.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Crud, I forgot to turn the bottom vase upside down again. I will, Sandi, I promise. :-}

OK, I fibbed about that being the last picture. Got this glass torchere shade without its lamp bottom and I would like to have the old birdbath bases to with these to make planters. Has a nice hole already for slipping onto the bases and also for drainage for plants. Then would paint or decorate the bases.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Great finds! The shade would also look good as a hanging "basket."

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

From the Round Top show.....something to look for at......GW.....!!!!!!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

these were rain gauges...behind the faucet, you can see the gauge...chandelier cyrstals for water coming out of the faucet. Too expensive for me....but I might try to copy one!

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.