Could I divide and transplant now??

West Chester, PA(Zone 6b)

I know the best time to do is right after they flower, but I really would like to move some Bearded Iris now. Is there really going to be a big problem if I do it now? I am in zone 6b. We have not had any freezing temps. yet and the forecast says next 10 days 60's in the day and mid 30's at night. Think I should take the chance? Also, what about other types of Iris?
Thanks for any info. that anyone has to share.....
Terri

Lebanon, OR

Iris need 6 weeks to establish roots for the winter, unless it is going stay about freezing that long, I would not unless YOU NEED to them

D

I guess I will wait. I hate to loose any of them. I made a new garden that I wanted to put them in.....I will just move some of the other perennials going there and have to be patient until next year. LOL.....When I get that picture in my head what a new garden is going to look like, I get impatient....Thanks for the advise. :)
Terri

Boaz, KY

I'm curious Dee -- even if air temps get down in the low 30's at night, or high 20's, the earth doesn't freeze that quickly -- especially if daytime temps are in the 50's and 60's. So I'm wondering if she couldn't go ahead and move them -- in clumps with roots intact -- and they would be OK? Also, what if she covered them with straw, keeping the warmth of the earth from escaping?

I'm remembering planting Irises in November, the first year we lived here. They were brought bare-root from Chicago when we made our move, so I really didn't have much choice in the matter, but they were all fine and most bloomed the following Spring. I realize that there's a difference between our weather (western Kentucky) and Pennsylvania. But we do have winter here -- just starts later and ends earlier.

Just thought I'd interject some thoughts.

Lebanon, OR

she could do that and not loose any, with me commercial I have to get them in the ground in Sept or early Oct, as we can get hard freezes anywhere from first of Oct to right after Tday
D

South Hamilton, MA

I would certainly advise against it. If the roots are not really held in the ground, alternate freezing & thawing will lift them up & there will be root damage or can kill the plants.

Gainesville, TX

I have wondered about moving and transplanting here in zone 7, it gets cold in Jan and Feb and we do get freezes sometimes to below 0, but I don't think our ground ever freezes..curious as to how late I can move or plant out the ones I potted up this summer...some of you other Okies tell me what you think....We also have Stout gardens in the city about 125 miles north

Taylorsville, KY

I am in zone 6a, and I have planted iris as late as Thanksgiving. I put newspaper over them for a couple of weeks to make sure the roots took, and then pulled it off (or made holes, as the paper is usually a soggy nasty mess by that time!). I have lost very few plants. I moved from California in September, and brought over 300 bare root rhizomes with me which I didn't get to plant until November (because that is when I found a place to live!), and they all survived beautifully, even with the climate difference and being out of the ground for over 2 months! Iris are very durable, and I would go ahead and plant them. Even if you don't have the best bloom this first spring, you will the year after. Just make sure the earth is firmly packed around the rhizome and put something on them to protect them when the ground freezes. You could even use a root starter (I use Blast) to get the roots going faster. Heaving is the biggest worry, I think, planting this late.

Sue

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Sharon, if your ground never freezes, I wouldn't worry. My ground does not freeze here, due to sandy soil and influence of Lake Ontario and I plant right up until the snow keeps me from it. I've planted irises in late December before, and then had them covered with 200 inches of snow, and all was well.

I thnk it's that freezing and thawing and heaving that gets them. I agree with Sue and Lucy on that.

Gainesville, TX

Just the advice I wanted to hear ladies. Thanks for responding, I still have about 20 in 4 in pots to get out.

The ground here in Pa. will freeze....you just can't make a good educated guess as of when. The weather has been so every changing in our area for the last 10 years or so..... I think I will wait until after they flower next spring. I would rather be safe than sorry. Thanks for all the advise !! INteresting to read everyones ideas.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.