My new Discorea Elephantipes

Fort Wayne, IN

After seeing SallyD's beautiful Discorea Elephantipes I just had to have one. "imagine that. lol", I also put it into a pot to grow as semi-hydroponics. Now, am I suppose to feed it a special food during the winter. If this question was already answerd, I missed it, and could you answer it again. I also put my Desert Rose in S/H and I had not watered it for a good month but when I transplanted it the bottom part of the bulb was just a little bit soft. It looks healthy and everywhere else the bulb was hard. Did it just need water or is it in trouble? Thanks

Thumbnail by acts238
Yardley, PA

I give my adeniums water all year long and they do great. I have had my adeniums feel soft to me and they really needed water. I would perhaps recheck the bottom for any rot though to be safe.

Fort Wayne, IN

Sally, I just noticed on my plant a few of the leaves look like they might be curling and getting a little funny looking. Could this be just some shock its going through because of mailing and transplanting? Do they loose their leaves in the winter? What should I look for if its in trouble?? Please help..!!

Yardley, PA

My plant is very sensitive to change and will drop its leaves. If I bring it in or take it out, it will drop its leaves. I would just check and make sure the caudex is nice and firm.

Fort Wayne, IN

Thank You, I've been trying to read all the posts about caudicforms and looking at info on them but I know you probably know and have experienced just about everyting growing yours, they are really very interesting plants. Thanks so much, so as long as the caudex is firm and healthy...we're good. :) Grace

Yardley, PA

As you can see I just love these plants. I have grown them for 15 years. They are very interesting and so different.

Quote from SallyD :
As you can see I just love these plants. I have grown them for 15 years. They are very interesting and so different.

Where do you mostly find them?

Fort Wayne, IN

Landperson, I bought mine from Corona Cactus Nursery on ebay but they also have a website. SallyD has some of the most beautiful Caudiciforms ever. I've always liked unusual things and these are so interesting. I hope mine does as well.

Thanks, Acts.
I have 8 roses and 3 streptocarpus coming this week.
All I need is another plant addiction....:-)))))))

Susan

Fort Wayne, IN

Oh I know, I've always liked plants but kept them easy folage plants, this spring I started to collect Epiphylums "Orchid Cactus" from there I got into cactus and succulants and now these unusual caudiciforms are making me crazy to get them, but alas it is going into winter here in the midwest and my house is full-up!! ;) Oh I can't wait until spring, I've got so many garden plans with my new found addiction, my husband thinks I'm nuts. lol. he he....I'm trying to keep that part a secret. ;o)

Yardley, PA

It really is an addiction. I am trying to keep control but it isn't easy. 85 plants under lights in my living room is quite enough.....but there is always room for one more! I also had an addiction to roses but gave them up as they are so much work but they are so beautiful. No matter what I get addicted to I always go back to the caudiciforms. They are relatively easy to take care of and I just love their form.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.