Compassion For Physically Challanged Gardeners #13

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

We came from here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/disabled/all/
Welcome to our group. We're a friendly bunch. We range from wheelchair bound to mostly blind. MS to CHF, Arthritic to Severe Depression.
We still manage to function as good citizens,good gardeners and give uplifting support to eachother and others, So come join us.
Vickie

(Debra) Garland, TX

Thank you, Vickie. :-)

mulege, Mexico

Good morning everyone. It is a beautiful chilly day here. Tony is having car problems and had to come to work on his motorcycle and he's well-chilled. Our temperature is maybe in the fifties!!

I'm almost over whatever it was that had me down. Still a little headachy and woozy. Don't know if I'll be ready to leave Monday as planned but there's a few days wiggle room so I'll just see what happens. I'm not in any pain now so it's a matter of getting some strength back. I don't bounce back as rapidly as I used to.

It is nice to feel surrounded by friends, both where I live and in cyber space Thank you to all of you who are here. Send my greetings to those who are away for awhile and, if you're lurking, speak up and join the crowd.

hugs all around, katie

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Katie, Glad you're taking care of yourself. You've told us so much about Tony,He just seems part of the famly too.
This is a good time to thank everyone from me for the friendship we all have too.I feel like we are family.
Vickie

(Debra) Garland, TX

My niece's ashes are at my house, waiting until the family is ready to get a plot (meaning until I have the money to pay for it :-). Her kids had decided they wanted memorial jewelry and I got them engraved metal canisters small enough to wear or carry. A couple of weeks ago, I spread a Kroger sale ad on the table, took the tiny glass vials out of the canisters, filled them up, and set each aside for the superglued lids to dry before being dropped back into the canisters. Of course, even though I tried to be cautious, a little ash spilled in the process. After the urn was resealed, I folded up three sides of the paper, carefully carried it out front, and flung the residue over the garden.....forgetting the vials were still on the paper.... ooops! Found two by the Plumbago. The other three? Nowhere. From wherever she was/is, I knew my niece was laughing her BUTT off. LOL Even my sister thought it was funny. So did the kid who dug up the Iris (he looked, too, while digging). And I wish I had a recording of the clerk at the memorial gallery when I called to get replacement vials. She was trying hard NOT to laugh, not wanting to sound insensitive, not too sure what to say. But, they're just ashes, Crystal isn't in them, and it IS funny. I filled the new vials today and made SURE to put them on the glass tabletop instead of the paper. Scraping a little glue off glass if necessary is MUCH better than crawling around on hands and knees in muddy clay, leaf debris, and Cypress mulch, especially when it is chilly outside (for us) and I have a cold. :-) The kids seem to have adjusted well enough to take the canisters now. I showed them right after the box arrived and they are starting to ask my sister when they can have them. Maybe Thanksgiving week. They have a lot to be thankful for, even the fact that she died when she did. She was never going to be well again and there was very little of "her" left in that brain. The kids were miserable and she was going to hurt someone eventually, so it really was a blessing for everyone--including her. The kids have had enough time, now, that they can remember when MOM was still around, not the raging insane alien they had to endure the last few years. Yeah, I think Thanksgiving week...

Crystal's favorite color was purple and some late-blooming Magnus Echinacea are dancing in my yard.

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Love, hugs and a big grin Debra.
Vickie

mulege, Mexico

Tony got to La Paz with his father and discovered that the appoint had gotten mixed up due to two doctors with the same last name. His father has been taking some herbal medicines and is doing better. He feels better and his kidneys are working better.

While my ankle is much better there is still enough pain to make sleeping difficult.

If I am to see Amma in San Ramon I should leave today but I'm so tired that it's hard to get it together.

Praying for guidance.

katie

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

"Hugs"

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Good luck, Katie!

I took my nighttime pills with breakfast yesterday, and spent all day yesterday asleep, napping, drinking coffee, taking another nap, etc. That's only happened twice in twelve years, that I can remember. There have been other close calls, but this one went totally unnoticed until I couldn't wake up. WE HAVE TO HAVE A SLEEPY HUSBAND-PROOF SYSTEM!The other time was DH too. Is this the practical solutions thread?

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Carrie, This is the Compassion Thread. You totally have all our compassion. smile
Vickie

mulege, Mexico

Well I made it to Ca in time to see Amma but my van developed serious electrical problems which were expensive so I'm not going to make it north of chula vista. I dreamt about Amma last night. That's as close as I get to her this trip.

Had medical stuff today. My ankle has spurs and arthritis as well as a torn ligament. It's inflamed. I'm on antiinflamatories, antibiotics and some pain meds. Not enough as I am still conscious. Or somewhat so. No idea where I go from here but am feeling OK.

hugs, katie

mulege, Mexico

Happy to report I'm doing much better today. Almost no pain in my ankle - first time in weeks.

hugs, katie

Midland City, AL

Katie, so glad to hear you are feeling some better. Take it easy though..
Thanks for the smile, Debra, I received my bumper sticker. ("When things aren't going right, just go left.") I like the Cafe Press "create you own" idea. I'll put it on as soon as my W/c arrives. I've received my cushion and some accessories, but no chair yet.
I'm headed up to Harrisburg (PA) on Thursday. Have my fingers crossed my w/c will arrive in time for the trip. They may have snow there when I arrive. oh, boy. what fun. NOT!!! (Jim)

(Debra) Garland, TX

Jim, you are welcome. :-) If you have to use a chair, might as well have some fun with it. Kay said that was your current favorite, so there ya go...
Debra

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OK, I found a store online that's called The Insulin Case Shop that SPECIALIZES in pill boxes and jars and trays and delivery systems! I went bananas! Jim or Kay, do you know if Nadine has her own picture of that thing in Enterprise? All the non-copyright ones seem to chop off the weevil. I saw a copyrighted one from a different source that emphasized the weevil and boy, was that different!

(Debra) Garland, TX

Awright, Carrie!!!

mulege, Mexico

I am home safe and sound. Kind of tired but that's normal.

Saw my regular doctor on Friday. I really like him. We talked about depression, pain and tiredness. My ankle is much better due to the antibiotics and a couple of weeks mostly off my feet. My diabetes is under control without medication.

I've started back on Prozac and added Wellbrutin which is new for me Also got a shot of cortizone in my left knee

My van is packed. Tony will be here in the morning and unpacking should go fairly rapidly.

Also on the medical front: my blood pressure is excellent. I had a bunch of blood and urine tests and all but one were within normal ranges. Now let's hope the antidepressents work so I can get to work on losing some of my extra weight. I've been both very depressed and in a lot of pain for about the last six months and just keeping from gaining has been a major challenge.

My dogs were all really excited to have me home and I'm really glad to be back with them.

I'm super glad to be back home and away from the Christmas madness going on in Ca.

hugs all around, katie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yay, I'm glad you're feeling better, Katie. D., P. and T. are not unrelated. Prozac - I saw one girl lose a lot of weight she couldn't afford to lose on that. I love my Wellbutrin.

Midland City, AL

Carrie, I'll get you some boll weevil pics myself, if Nadine doesn't have one that will work.
Yep, I don't think I've ever met anyone with chronic pain that doesn't also have depression. (Jim)

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

am sorry about the depession. I take the generic for prozac and chlora thalizid. It helps alot except when the depression gets to the sick phaze. Than nothing helps much tho years ago EST helped.
I have bad reactions to Welbutrin. I get paranoid big time. So thats on my list of allergic tos.
Depression has been really bad since Thanksgiving. Have tayed with DD but am getting better now. Arthritis in my knees have been bad too But things will get better.
Vickie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, the article came out TODAY!
The link is in the other thread, sorry.

mulege, Mexico

I spent the morning wrapping Christmas presents for Tony and his family. Slept most of the afternoon.

I think Ii'm having a reaction to the Wellbutrin - very bloated all week and enough pain from it to keep me from being very active. I will stop taking it for a couple of days and see if that helps.

I'm getting some housecleaning/organization done. Sorting out some craft stuff to take to the kids so they can keep busy over the Christmas break.

We are getting the weather which is our reward for surviving the hot, humid summer. Beautiful clear days. It's almost 6 pm and Ii'm wearing a t-shirt, one sock and my ckocs. The sock is tohold the heating thingie for my ankle which is still a little sore.

The used laptop which I got for Tony's son Antonio died prematurely. I was going to look for another when I was in Ca. but then had the major car repair and had to abandon the idea. At least that's what I told Tony. I was actually able to get a middle-line new one for him and it is now all wrapped for Christmas - it will be a surprise for everyone, especially Tony! Antonio graduated for high school this year and is taking ayear off to work before starting at the university next year. He got a special certificate in computers so he should really enjoy it. I also got him a kit of computer repair tools, something not to be found here. Got Tony the power drill he wanted and two Monty Roberts books in Spanish for his older son, Luis, who is studying to be a veterinarian. Lots of fabric for his wife Fely and daughter Barbara. And whatever I can find for everybody else - it's a big family.

I have lots of stuffed animals for my Santa gig. Plus candy and crayons.

If I can get over this bloating I'll be in good shape.

hugs, katie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ouch, Katie, be careful STOPPING Wellbutrin suddenly or not suddenly but by yourself - it can leave you worse than before you started. You sound like a wonderful Santa Claus!!!!

mulege, Mexico

I've only taking the Wellbutrin for about a week. Did not take it last night and things are much better today. Taking it I felt like I had a weather baloon in my diaphram. Still wobbly with some discomfort in diaphram but better.

Wasn't able to be Santa last year due to dog bite. The best part was that when I went to Tony's on New Years Day with a few (very few) presents and no costume, several of the kids came over to see me anyway and didn't mind the lack of candy. Lots of great kids here.

katie

mulege, Mexico

It appears that while I was recovering from the bad reaction to the meds, someone stole my purse. It was in my van on my gated property with my four dogs around which limits the number of suspects. The most frustrating things is that there was no money in it but lots of important papers and seeds for fruit trees that I want to start here. The hardest thing for me is to keep myself from making an equation between my efforts to provide some Christmas candy and presents for the children here and the fact that it was probably one of their parents who came in and took my purse. I will rant and rave for a day or two, put out the word that there is a "no questions asked" reward if it and the contents are returned, then go back to my Christmas preparations. The good power drill I gave Tony last year was stolen from his property a while ago. There are alot of thefts here from and by both Mexicans and Americans. Scumbags of all nationalities. Pray for them.

katie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Boooooo for thieves - they know not what they do, indeed. I hope you get your stuff back.

(Debra) Garland, TX

Unpleasant responsibilities go along with the perks of management. Had an unexpected large revenue loss last night, the length of which is undetermined, so I am laying off six people today. Not the best of times. Will find thankfuls later today, but right now my whole spiritual, mental and physical person hurts. :-( Might sneak out at lunch for some flower therapy.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ouch, Debra. I didn't realize large revenue losses were followed by lay-offs in days, not weeks or months!

(Debra) Garland, TX

It does when you are still recovering from the market crash and the source of revenue comprises 90% of the total. :-( We'll be okay eventually, just unpleasant now.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I recieved this from KatieBear on Monday and thought I had posted it here. Blonde moments...I posted it in a Dmail back to her. I have not heard anything since this and pray she has located the items............................

Hi all,

I got a message from dear Katiebear- She can't locate her purse and is frantic. As we all know, many important documents are there and she also mentioned "seeds".

Please join me in prayer for Katie to find a peaceful state of mind and also her purse. I would be ( and have been) frantic over the same thing, we probably can all relate.

As for me, I'm just having really bad knee pain. The left one especially.

Hugs and Prayers,
Sheri

•Dave's Garden

mulege, Mexico

Hi - Still no purse. Tony has been a rock. Very hard to deal with this at Christmas, especially since I have a good idea of who the thief is but can't do anything about it. I'm mostly really depressed but I know that will pass.

katie

(Debra) Garland, TX

Katie,

What can I do to help?

Debra

Midland City, AL

Katie, Kay had me looking for interesting quotes she could use in an art project. I came across this one. Shakespeare, "Othello", I think.
“The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief"
Or, you can let Kay's mantra answer the door when anger and depression come knocking.
"I will BE the changes I want to see in the world." (Don't know the original sorce on that one.)
We must have been quite the sight shopping today. Me, in my w/c pushing the cart and Kay pushing me. (With some verbal direction from me, of course.) Well, we got the shopping done and made a lot of people smile. (Jim)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Is there anything we can do, Katie?

mulege, Mexico

Thank you all for the offers of help and words of encouragement. I'm most bummed about the need to replace passport, driver's liscense and all the other documents, especially hard as I am in Mexico. I agree with Shakespeare. It's mostly that I've been robbed so often that it gets discouraging. It might not be so agravating if they'd gotten anything of value to them but, luckily for me, I'd kept my money in my pocket. So it's apain in the neck for me and nothing for them, except that everyone has a pretty good idea of who the thief is and he will be the butt of some jokes.

I am grateful that I didn't lose my money as I had just been to the bank. And I have almost two weeks to come out of the depression and be Santa Clause on Christmas. Also grateful that, as depressed as I am,. I know it will pass and I'm not feeling suicidal.

I will stay home until I'm ready to go to town and laugh with my Mexican friends about the stupid, making sure that some of them repeat the funny story to the person I suspect is the thief. A little salt in the wound. Hope that doesn't sound too vengeful.

It was hard for me to write about this, thanks for the support. I'm glad I didn't hide.

hugs, katie

(Debra) Garland, TX

Jim, I think the original quote is from Mahatma Gandhi.

Katie, what seeds?

Debra

We love and care about you, Katie. I know you can't feel any hugs, but I'm sure that many are being sent your way.

Big bear hug,

Sheri

mulege, Mexico

Cherimoya and starfruit. I will confess here that, while I am a recovering alchoholic, my first drug of choice is really self-pity. I can get quite dramatic about the frustration of having both these seeds from two sources (one paid, one DG friend) stolen when I have spent hours tracking them down. All drama aside, I will survive. But it's OK to be mad, depressed, and whatever else it takes for me to get past it. This is a hard time of year to have to deal with this extra stress but the thief is a miserable drunk and I'm not. So there.

hugs, katie

Right on Katie!!!
Sobriety is a very valuable thing!!

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Dear Katie, I hurt for you and am so sorry you are so depressed. Know that i care and understand.
A pox on the thief! I hope one of Santas reindeer comes and butts him where it'll do the most good.
I understand that legal papers from the states can be very valuable in Mexico.
I echo ---- What seeds?
I'm still on the depressed side but not the worse kind now.
When i was on the other garden site. I belonged to a forum that everyone took turns finding a quote for everyday. I injoyed that.Eveyone would take a week at a time to find quotes.
Night all,
Vickie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.