blue dawn vine

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Do you have this vine? I just got it a few months ago and it goes nuts. Looks like it is some kind of MG. I heard it is really invasive and once it gets in is hard to get rid of. It is so pretty and doing so well and growing so fast I would like some advise weather it will smother every plant in it's path. I am trying to get it on the fence but it keeps dragging through the garden in front of the fence. I don't want it to pull a Vinca Major on me.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Dawn, I do have it and it's a matter of trimming to keep it under control.

Do you know the scientific name of this plant? i can't find it in the plantfinder section and it sounds lovely. thanks

Ipomoea learii.

thanks

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Are Ipomoea indica (Blue Dawn Flower) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51653/
and Ipomoea learii the same thing ?

Martha, I don't know, but mine doesn't change colors - it is blue from bud to the time it falls off. I received my seeds in a big seed trade last year, and that's what the seeds were labeled. I planted all I received (4), and now have a massive vine. It only now is beginning to bloom, with an average of 4 blooms at a time.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Indica is the one that I have. I had forgotten what it was actually called because it is in the pot in the middle of a garden and despite that it is going nuts. My typical MG do not do that.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Kay,thanks, I couldn't find the I.learii in plant files, but it sounded like what hellnzn11 was talking about was indica. I've got indica growing now...can't wait for spring ! Anyway just was wondering what the differences might be......
A bit OT...did your White Sky Vine ever bloom, mines' been intermittent. I think next year will be better...as it will be a year old then. It is in the mean time trying to eat one end of my riding arena fence ...LOL

No, Martha - my white sky vine died. My blue one started blooming last week. The Thumbergia I am most happy and excited about is the T. fragrans! I got cuttings from a friend, they rooted after several attempts, and are now blooming!!!! I don't, however, detect any fragrance.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

We just got back from Arizone and apparently had our first real freeze, since a bunch of my plants all croaked in 2 days, including that vine, which appears pretty done with, at least till next year.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

it will come back. mine dies back every year. i have had blue dawn forever. both of the above i am guessing i have because i have 2 different ones. one that changes color as it fades and one that doesnt. one is more behaved then the other but i just cut the other back when it gets out of hand.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Good to know.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.