Lake Moultrie or Marion info

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Nothing to do with gardening here, but I'm trying to find out if any one knows a spot somewhere on Lake Marion or Lake Moultrie, that is public access, where one can see some of the Cypress trees that grow out of the water.

I know a spot where I can see one or two, but I'm looking for a clump or a grove, and I don't have a boat! :) This is for a photo project.
If anyone's familiar with such a spot, please let me know?
Thanks!
Deb

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

How about contacting the naturalist at Santee State Park. They may know of some secret places that the tourists do not usually see.

I remember seeing some incredible groves but it was from a boat (and eons ago). If we were closer I would lend you my kayak.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

That's a good idea. I've "googled" til I'm cross-eyed, and even searched satellite maps. I've also done image searches to see if anyone named the location where the pics were taken. No luck. I should take your suggestion, do this the old-fashioned way and make a phone call!

I'm chuckling at your mention of a kayak. Last time we were at Pawleys, I rented a 2-person kayak. DH and I paddled down the creek about 1/2 mile. On the way back, which was - of course - against the tide, he decides his back hurts and I had to paddle us all the way back while he reclined comfortably. I won't make that mistake again! LOL.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL, Been there done that, same story even, no two person boats for me ever again. :-)

How about 4 Hole Swamp? Don't they have cypress groves or maybe Cypress Gardens???

Conway, SC

Deb, You mentioned Pawleys Island and since Georgetown was my home town I remenber the cypress trees and stumps on Black River. International Paper Co. has a large house on Black River that they rent for occassions and I'm pretty sure that you can drive right up to it for pictures on the river. I even think there is a dock and a landing there. If you are familiar with G'town, it is on the Choppee Rd. off of 701.
Check it out with their Chamber of Commerce.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

BSD, G'town is where I grew up, too. :) So I know exactly where you mean!

And, yeah, we may just head up to the swamp.

Thanks, guys!

Johns Island, SC

Deb, I've got a friend who lives up there. He has a boat, is a gardener, and may be able to help. He's been all over the place up there, (there's more "hidden coves" than you would believe possible), and may be able to help. Holler if you think it might be useful...

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

That'd be great! I have not had much luck finding out anything. What I've found is that there are only so many "public access" spots along the shore. I put in a call to Santee SP as suggested by Ardesia, but will probably have to try again this week as I haven't been able to speak to anyone there yet.

We are planning to drive over to the lakes this coming weekend if the weather is good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.