Bursera foecoides

Yardley, PA

The Bursera foecoides also has a great peeling trunk.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Dying for 1 or 2 :)

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

I love Bursera! Is that the correct name? I googled it and the only posts were yours.

Yardley, PA

That's funny. I don't think they are that uncommon but maybe I am wrong.

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Whatever it is, it's really interesting looking! Pretty in my eyes, lol

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Sally makes me want things that I kill :(
Thats so Beautiful Sally!!

Yardley, PA

I know Malestrom. I keep trying different things that I killed in dirt and usually have had great success in the s/h.

San Diego, CA

Are You sure it isn't Bursera Fagaroides.If so you can pick them up reasonbly cheap,they also make great Bonsai.

Yardley, PA

You are right lancefall. I had the spelling wrong. It had worn on the label and I read it incorrectly. I agree that the small ones are pretty inexpensive. Not real uncommon.

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

But even the young ones make a great plant, peeling bark, awesome color!

Thumbnail by lakesidecallas
Hoffman Estates, IL

sally0, have you done s/h with any dorstenia? i want to add dorstenia gigas to my collection this spring

Decatur, GA

I have a small D. gigas I was thinking of changing to s/h. I haven't has much luck with them in the past and have lost several. This might be my last try.
Helen

Yardley, PA

I did just add the D. gigas last fall. So far it is happy in the s/h. It just started to wake up.

This message was edited Feb 25, 2011 9:12 AM

Yardley, PA

Here is the picture of my Dorstenia

Thumbnail by Sally0
Decatur, GA

Thats great news Sally. When switching to s/h I am wondering how thorough you are removing the 'dirt' from the roots? I might tend to be too aggressive, yikes!, and am causing too much damage. Do you remove every speck of dirt or do you use more of a rinse-and-shake type method.
Thanks, Helen

Hoffman Estates, IL

i'm interested too in this, i worry that when i attempt s/h i might be too aggressive with the roots

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

It's a good idea to let a succulent dry off for at least a few days to a week after any kind of aggressive root work. That way any damage will have calloused off and rot won't have a chance to start.

Decatur, GA

That makes sense faeden. When I cleaned the roots on a lithop I used a cool hairdry on the roots afterward and on the clay pellets to make sure everything was dry. No rot yet, yeah!
I am wonder about Sally's technique since she has been so successful.
Helen

Yardley, PA

I rinse the dirt off and very gently just rub the roots. I get as much dirt as possible off. I switch right into the s/h. I have never had a problem doing that. I have been lightly been watering my lithops thru the winter and they have doubled in size. The lithops make me nervous!

Decatur, GA

Thanks Sally. I think I have been too vigorous although everything except one cactus has made the transition without problems.
Helen

Yardley, PA

My lithops did really well this winter. They doubled in size. I just watered them a little.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Hoffman Estates, IL

do you trim your bursera at all like a bonsai?

Yardley, PA

Yes, I do trim the bursera and I try to do it somewhat bonsai. I took a bonsai class so I do keep that in mind. I like to keep my caudiciforms compact so I trim them all back. I will be doing it soon actually.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Sally what do you do with all your trimmings?

Yardley, PA

I basically throw all the trimmings out. Why do you ask?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Because you know where you can throw them...lol....at my direction.

;)

Yardley, PA

I will be more than happy to send you clippings. Send me your address thru the mail. When I trim soon, I will put them in an envelop for you. No problem.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Sally, thanks! I just dgmailed you.

Hoffman Estates, IL

I decided I want to add this one to my collection too, shoalcreeksucculents.com has a great selection too and the plants are very good size for the price... just something to look at when deciding on another plants

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

I've ordered from them, they are great plants and Lisa at Shoal Creek Succulents is really, really nice too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.